Locals in College

trublue

Posted: Monday, August 19, 2013 11:53 pm

Tim Hayes | Bristol Herald Courier

Featured: D. Johnson/Richlands...Atwell/Geo. Wythe...Ian Frye/VA High...Strong brothers/Richlands

http://www.tricities.com/sports/article_1c32db82-094c-11e3-8ce9-0019bb30f31a.html

Daniel Hamm from Fort Chiswell is making a great splash at UVA, too.

Daniel Hamm from Fort Chiswell is making a great splash at UVA, too.

I have heard from some people that I trust, Galax head coach and former UVA all-american Mark Dixon went to bat big time for this kid with the current UVA staff.

I have heard from some people that I trust, Galax head coach and former UVA all-american Mark Dixon went to bat big time for this kid with the current UVA staff.

For our sake, I'm glad they did. He's really impressing the staff, so much so that the question is not whether he'll ever make the field, but whether he'll take a redshirt or play this year. Very happy to see a kid like this get his shot and make the most of it.

• 5 months later...

Storyline on the WCU game last night from their website

Null Fans a Dozen as Catamounts Upset No. 2 Mississippi State, 3-2
Cody Jones drives in game-winning run in seventh inning

Feb. 15, 2014

Box Score

Starkville, Miss. - Jeremy Null struck out a dozen Bulldog batters while scattering three hits over eight solid innings as Western Carolina held off second-ranked Mississippi State to pull the upset, 3-2, Friday night in the 2014 season opener at Dudy Noble Field.

• 3 months later...

Pulled this from BDT site today...

May 27, 2014

Staff reports Associated Press

Tue May 27, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT

BLUEFIELD — Trey Lambert, a senior pitcher for Liberty University, will get the ball when the Flames open NCAA regional action on Friday against Arkansas in Charlottesville, Va. Lambert, a product of Tazewell High School, is 11-2 with a 2.10 ERA for the Flames this season. Virginia and Bucknell will also compete in the double-elimination format, with the winner advancing to the super regionals the following weekend. Look for a feature story on Lambert, who expects to be selected in the Major League Amateur Draft on June 3-5, in Thursday’s edition of the Daily Telegraph.

Following from Liberty University site:

Flames Baseball to face Arkansas in NCAA Regional opener Friday

May 27, 2014 : Liberty University Athletics

Trey-Lambert-Liberty-pitcher-20140527s.j

Liberty senior Trey Lambert, who will start Friday's NCAA Regional opener, was named Big South Pitcher of the Year.

Liberty University’s baseball team received its first-ever at-large bid to an NCAA Regional bracket on Monday. The Flames (41-16, seeded third) will compete in the Charlottesville, Va., regional and face No. 2-seeded University of Arkansas in their first-round game, Friday at 7 p.m. The contest will be aired live on ESPNU from Davenport Stadium, home of the top-seeded University of Virginia, which hosts fourth-seeded Bucknell University. The winners will meet in Saturday’s second game after the losers compete in an elimination game.

Liberty is making its fifth NCAA Regional appearance and second in a row. It has won more than 40 games for the third time in the past five seasons under Big South Coach of the Year Jim Toman.

Read the full story and listen to interviews with Toman and Big South Pitcher of the Year Trey Lambert at www.Liberty.edu/Flames

• 2 weeks later...

Bradley Strong Named Louisville Slugger All-America

Junior infielder hit .339 with 20 doubles, six triples and six homers

May 29, 2014

Cullowhee, N.C. - Western Carolina junior Bradley Strong was today named to the Louisville Slugger All-America team as selected and announced by Collegiate Baseball newspaper. Strong, a first-team All-Southern Conference selection as voted by the league's head coaches, was a third-team selection at second base.

Strong is the fourth Catamount to garner post-season All-America accolades under head coach Bobby Moranda. Last season, Tyler White was selected to the third team as a third baseman. Jacob Hoyle was a freshman All-America selection with Ross Heffley earning the same honor in 2009 before capturing first team All-America honors in 2011. All told, Strong is just the 14th different Catamount to garner one of the 19 different All-America honors from various publications.

Strong was also among two from the Southern Conference to land on the post-season squads, joined by Elon outfielder - and league player of the year - Casey Jones.

A three-year starter from Richlands, Va., Strong finished the 2014 season with a team-high .339 batting average, recording 81 base hits to rank second in the SoCon. Among his team-best 81 hits were a career-high 20 doubles - a mark which ranked him tied for 11th with seven others in the program's single-season record book. He closed the season riding a career-long 14-game hitting streak. Strong legged out six seasonal triples to not only tie him with two others for second in the single-season ledger, but also move into a tie for the runner-up position with Danny Jones (13, 1964-67) in the career record book with 13. Strong is just two triples shy of all-time record holder Martin Barrow (15, 1995-98).

Strong paced the SoCon with 58 runs scored and concluded the year second on the squad with 53 RBI including a team-high 25 two-out runs driven in. The speedy infielder stole a career-high 20 bases in 25 attempts giving him 45 thefts in his WCU career - 13th in the school record book.

During the 2014 season, Strong was one of two Catamounts to hit for the cycle in the March 2 win over La Salle, finishing 5-for-6 at the plate with the five base hits and five RBI marking a career high. He earned SoCon Player of the Week plaudits on April 21 after batting .389 (7-for-18) with five doubles, four runs scored with three RBI.

Strong is slated to return to the St. Cloud (Minn.) Rox of the Northwoods League this summer where he finished the 2013 summer season. He finished last summer with a .309 (25-for-81) batting average to rank third on the team, tallying two doubles and a triple with nine runs driven in and seven stolen bases.

http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/052914aab.html

• 1 month later...

Jim Saccoâ€@Sacco_BHCSports3 hrs

RT @DaveWilsonMN: Devon Johnson adds some thunder to @HerdFB backfield... http://wvmetronews.com/?p=104552 pic.twitter.com/8tCxJNnoNd #LocalsInCollege

Great State

Former Richlands football standout...Devon Johnson

excerpt:

By Dave Wilson in Marshall Sports | August 05, 2014 at 12:00PM

HUNTINGTON, W.Va.— Few nicknames are as fitting as Devon “Rockhead†Johnson. The moniker fits the 6-foot-1, 254 pound bruiser perfectly. In fact, it’s been Johnson’s hard-nosed play on special teams and at H-back that has endeared him to Herd fans.

“He’s a tremendous athlete. He’s extremely tough. Football is important to him and he likes to play,†said Coach Doc Holliday. “That’s where it starts.â€

Johnson came into camp listed as a tight end, where he caught 12 passes and two touchdowns last season but on the first day of camp Johnson found himself in the backfield taking handoffs from quarterback Rakeem Cato.

“He’s got the ability to run the ball,†noted Holliday.

http://wvmetronews.com/2014/08/05/johnson-adds-thunder-to-backfield/

BOGACZYK: Run?, Block? Johnson Back in Familiar Territory
The Word on the Herd-August 9, 2014

excerpt:

10213380.jpeg
spacer.gif
Devon Johnson
spacer.gif

Aug. 9, 2014

By JACK BOGACZYK

HERDZONE.COM COLUMNIST

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – Devon Johnson didn’t ask to play running back for Marshall.

But now that the 6-foot-1, 243-pounder is at the top of the depth chart in the backfield for the Herd, well, he’s going to be tough to dislodge.

The junior from Richlands, Va., is one of the strongest players on a team that is forecast for a Conference USA title and perhaps a College Football Playoff access bowl. But it’s not just his toughness and grit that matters.

See, the guy played running back for a long time before he came to Marshall, where he started out as a linebacker before moving to tight end and H-back.

Or, you could put it this way … Johnson not only was the Virginia High School Coaches Association Group AA Offensive Player of the Year in 2011. He got that honor by rushing for 1,376 yards and 23 touchdowns.

His favorite football player? How about Pro Football Hall of Famer Barry Sanders, the No. 3 career rusher in NFL history, whose 15,269 yards took him from Detroit to Canton, Ohio.

“Yeah, I did miss it,†Johnson said about his absence from running back after the Herd’s physical workout Saturday. “I played running back since I was little. Gosh, I missed running back so much, playing there in high school and before that. I was there growing up.

“My first year of football, I was probably 6 or 7, and I was young and they had me on the ‘A’ team, a little chunky thing. I was a lineman. The next year, I started growing, starting slimming and it was like, let’s try him at fullback.

For the rest of the article:

http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080914aaa.html

• 2 weeks later...

This was in the BHC a couple of weeks ago and in our local paper today. Coy Craft recently signed with MLS team FC Dallas making him the first SWVA-born player to play soccer professionally. He's also currently playing for the U-18 national team. Craft and his family were living in Abingdon until a few years ago before moving to Dallas.  Also has ties to Lee County, his father, Chad, played football and baseball at Jonesville back in the day.

http://www.tricities.com/sports/article_caab5bf4-1d0e-11e4-94b1-0017a43b2370.html#.U-JVtk42Cps.twitter

http://www.fcdallas.com/news/2014/08/coy-craft-excited-become-next-homegrown-signing-fc-dallas

• 4 weeks later...

Retweeted by BristolSports/great state

Locals in CollegeCareer day an emotional one for VHS grad Ian Frye during loss to BYU

Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 5:55 pm | Updated: 6:04 pm, Mon Sep 22, 2014.

Career day an emotional one for VHS grad Ian Frye during loss to BYUDoug Doughty | The Roanoke Times

Mark and wife Dana were at the Virginia-BYU game, but not long enough to see their son convert a 46-yarder in the fourth quarter. By then, Mark Frye already had been taken to nearby Utah Valley Regional Medical Center.

“Going into the halftime, my mother was coming down the stairs and she yells at me and tells me that my dad’s having a lot of chest pains,†said Frye, a fourth-year junior from Virginia High in Bristol.

“Walking up the ramp, I see my dad. I go inside real quick. I tell a couple of teammates and they told me to come back out.â€

Frye had just kicked a 22-yard field goal to give Virginia a 16-13 lead at the halftime buzzer.

Rest of the article in above external link

• 9 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 11:50 pm   Bluefield Daily Telegraph

Locals on college gridirons: Compton has four tackles for Wasps Staff reports bdtonline.com

Richlands product Josh Compton recorded four tackles, one sack and had one tackle for loss in Emory & Henry’s 55-7 rout of Ferrum last Saturday. Compton is the son of former WVU and NFL standout Mike Compton...Fellow Blues’ product Zeke Vance had two tackles for the Wasps.

â€¢Bluefield High School product Corey Coppola saw his first collegiate action for Davidson during the Wildcats’ 69-0 loss to The Citadel. Coppola assisted on a tackle for the Wildcats.

â€¢Fort Chiswell product Coleman Thomas started at center for Tennessee in last week’s win over Bowling Green, and will be there again on Saturday when the No. 23 Volunteers host No. 19 Oklahoma.

â€œI like being, I guess, the quarterback on the offensive line,†Thomas says. “I like making calls and snapping.â€

â€¢Fellow Fort Chiswell product Daniel Hamm played on special teams in Virginia’s loss to UCLA, while Steven Peoples from Galax also saw special teams action in Virginia Tech’s loss to Ohio State.

Richlands graduate Devon Johnson ran for 89 yards on 11 carries and a touchdown in the Thundering Herd’s 41-31 over Purdue on Sunday. He also caught two passes for 27 yards and another score. Bluefield product Joe Woodrum played on special teams.

No love for Stephen Peoples. Playing special teams and backing up Sam Rogers at Tech. Galax grad.

Graham fans might remember him.

definitely the most impressive performance I have ever seen that afternoon at Mitchell Stadium

• 2 weeks later...

Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 11:29 pm

Locals on college gridirons, golf courses Staff reports bdtonline.com

Richlands product Josh Compton is currently fourth on the Emory & Henry football team with nine tackles, two sacks and two tackles for loss in a pair of games for the Wasps. Compton, who transferred to E&H from Fairmont State, is the son of former Richlands, West Virginia and NFL standout Mike Compton...Drake Presley (Twin Valley) made his first collegiate field goal on Saturday, converting a 29-yard attempt in Bluefield College’s 28-9 loss at Lindsey Wilson...Garrett Lee (Giles) is averaging 31.2 yards on 11 punts for Concord. Fellow Spartan Zach Keaton has kick off 14 times, with touchbacks resulting on six of them...Montel Leggett (Bluefield) is a freshman fullback at West Virginia Wesleyan.

Tazewell native Carol Green Robertson and Virginia Tech women’s golf team placed seventh in a field of 17 schools in the Hokies’ first-ever women’s golf tournament over the weekend in the Paladin Invitational in Greenville, S.C. Floyd County’s Amanda Hollandsworth finished 10th overall. Robertson played at Tazewell and James Madison, and had previously been a head coach at Old Dominion.

Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 11:29 pm

Locals on college gridirons, golf courses Staff reports bdtonline.com

Richlands product Josh Compton is currently fourth on the Emory & Henry football team with nine tackles, two sacks and two tackles for loss in a pair of games for the Wasps. Compton, who transferred to E&H from Fairmont State, is the son of former Richlands, West Virginia and NFL standout Mike Compton...Drake Presley (Twin Valley) made his first collegiate field goal on Saturday, converting a 29-yard attempt in Bluefield College’s 28-9 loss at Lindsey Wilson...Garrett Lee (Giles) is averaging 31.2 yards on 11 punts for Concord. Fellow Spartan Zach Keaton has kick off 14 times, with touchbacks resulting on six of them...Montel Leggett (Bluefield) is a freshman fullback at West Virginia Wesleyan.

Tazewell native Carol Green Robertson and Virginia Tech women’s golf team placed seventh in a field of 17 schools in the Hokies’ first-ever women’s golf tournament over the weekend in the Paladin Invitational in Greenville, S.C. Floyd County’s Amanda Hollandsworth finished 10th overall. Robertson played at Tazewell and James Madison, and had previously been a head coach at Old Dominion.

Damn impressive showing first time out of the gate.  My daughters followed the tournament on birdiefire.com.  They have asked me to take them to Sedgefield in April for the ACC Championships.  My wife has corrupted them by turning them into Hokies.  Amanda Hollandsworth is a stick, so is her sister Jessica who played at Maryland.