Locals in College

trublue

I wish more HS football players wrestled.  I don't think many players or coaches fully appreciate the benefits. I would dare say much of Spurlin's football success ties back to things learned on the mat from his dad.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2016/July/21/How-Wrestling-Builds-Better-Football-Players

6 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I wish more HS football players wrestled.  I don't think many players or coaches fully appreciate the benefits. I would dare say much of Spurlin's football success ties back to things learned on the mat from his dad.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2016/July/21/How-Wrestling-Builds-Better-Football-Players

Caleb has told me wrestling taught him how to be a better football player several times. The Galax Wrestling Club opened a facility in 2017. Kevin’s days don’t end after the high school releases. He goes to the club and teaches elementary age kids for another couple of hours. Awesome family!

• 8 months later...

• 2 months later...

• 3 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

17 hours ago, trublue said:
Some #LocalsInCollege are crushing opposing pitching in #NCAAD1 Baseball. Check out the batting averages.
Gavin Cross (Tennessee High/Virginia Tech): .400
Thomas Francisco (Abingdon/East Carolina): .378
Hunter Wolfe (Dobyns-Bennett/TCU): .321

great state

Would love to see some of those guys play in the Appy League.

• 4 months later...

• 1 month later...

Caleb Spurlin (Galax) is a candidate for the Paul Hornung award. The following is taken from wikipedia.

To be eligible, a candidate must be in good standing and eligible on his team during the selection process, eligible with the NCAA during the selection process and play significant time during most or all of the season. Decisions regarding status for the award will be made by the Oversight Committee. In addition to starting or playing significant downs on offense or defense, candidates will be measured by performance from among one or more of the following:

• Playing multiple positions on offense and/or multiple positions on defense
  • Playing a significant role on special teams
  • Performing as a two-way player who starts either on offense or defense and is used on the other side of the ball in some capacity
  • Making a significant impact during big games and elevating the team's performance through leadership displayed by excelling in multiple roles

Support a local kid by voting early and often. Votes are allowed once every 24 hours.

https://www.louisvillesports.org/paul-hornung/award-poll/?fbclid=IwAR1yzli_5azaPY2UmWUHAQDL3xIdQ8izRkwt9Vy3rYC2L3q9nhBIapChh8A

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 3:09 PM, sixcat said:

Caleb Spurlin (Galax) is a candidate for the Paul Hornung award. The following is taken from wikipedia.

To be eligible, a candidate must be in good standing and eligible on his team during the selection process, eligible with the NCAA during the selection process and play significant time during most or all of the season. Decisions regarding status for the award will be made by the Oversight Committee. In addition to starting or playing significant downs on offense or defense, candidates will be measured by performance from among one or more of the following:

• Playing multiple positions on offense and/or multiple positions on defense
  • Playing a significant role on special teams
  • Performing as a two-way player who starts either on offense or defense and is used on the other side of the ball in some capacity
  • Making a significant impact during big games and elevating the team's performance through leadership displayed by excelling in multiple roles

Support a local kid by voting early and often. Votes are allowed once every 24 hours.

https://www.louisvillesports.org/paul-hornung/award-poll/?fbclid=IwAR1yzli_5azaPY2UmWUHAQDL3xIdQ8izRkwt9Vy3rYC2L3q9nhBIapChh8A

Spurlin is having a solid year at App State. 

• 3 months later...

Matthew Buchanan (Lebanon) made his collegiate debut for UVA today, striking out 2 in a scoreless 9th to close out a 17-2 win over Cornell.  UVA is 6-0 to start the 2022 season.

Avery Mabe (George Wythe) is also on the UVA roster, and I’m digging to see if he has received any action this year.  He’ll be playing for the Pulaski River Turtles this summer, too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2022 at 10:54 PM, UVAObserver said:

Matthew Buchanan (Lebanon) made his collegiate debut for UVA today, striking out 2 in a scoreless 9th to close out a 17-2 win over Cornell.  UVA is 6-0 to start the 2022 season.

Avery Mabe (George Wythe) is also on the UVA roster, and I’m digging to see if he has received any action this year.  He’ll be playing for the Pulaski River Turtles this summer, too.

Buchanan will have his first collegiate start against Rider this evening.  Good sign that the freshman has earned this much trust!

The vast majority of pitchers don't master an effective circle-change until they are in the professional ranks. It's usually the last pitch learned and mastered.

Buchanan has already mastered one and he's a freshman in college! Effectively changing speeds is holding a blank check from MLB, especially for a lefthander!

On 3/16/2022 at 7:31 AM, sixcat said:

The vast majority of pitchers don't master an effective circle-change until they are in the professional ranks. It's usually the last pitch learned and mastered.

Buchanan has already mastered one and he's a freshman in college! Effectively changing speeds is holding a blank check from MLB, especially for a lefthander!

I could always throw an "off-speed" ball. It was every other pitch I couldn't master. 

• 3 months later...

• 2 months later...

A few locals have seen action this fall for the Ferrum Panthers.

• Freshman LB Matthew Nelson (Marion) has 5 solo tackles and an interception.  
  • Freshman S Ian Ashworth (Galax) has 7 tackles.

A couple of kids SWVA will recognize.

• Sophomore RB Zac Smiley (Riverheads) has 32 carries for 171 yards and 2 TD's. He also has 4 receptions for 63 yards and 1 TD.
  • Freshman FB Noah Smiley (Riverheads) has 1 carry for 8 yards. He is also averaging 40.13 yards per punt, which ranks 22nd in NCAA D3. 

Bluefield State QB Wyatt Freeman (Narrows) had himself quite a day in his first ever college start on Saturday.

COMP      ATT      YRDS      TD's      INT's
  25           38          335          2           2

His season stats are........

COMP     ATT      YRDS       TD's      INT's
   32         50          461           2           2