Graham at Fort Chiswell

robtom

Talking of next week’s game against Fort Chiswell, Williams said, “I think the biggest thing is our guys have got to know they can go down here and win the game. Every year I’ve been here we’ve had games where people picked us to get slaughtered, including against Fort Chiswell two years ago. I have no doubt in our kids’ ability to go down there and win the game.â€

if people do not like what he is saying or doing maybe everyone can ask doug marrs to come back to graham as head coach.

Yes, because we live in a universe where those two are the only options for Graham High School head football coach.

No one said anything about booting Williams yet. He overachieved in his first two seasons, despite an upturned eyebrow at this season's performance. His discussion points are merely a bit odd is ALL we're saying.

Sheesh.

if people do not like what he is saying or doing maybe everyone can ask doug marrs to come back to graham as head coach.

I've got no problem with what he's doing...a great job with the G-Men in my opinion.

However, he's made some statements this year that have me shaking my head.  Now, this could just be from inept reporting by the BDT, but he's been quoted as saying some things that a) he shouldn't have said; b) came out the wrong way; and/or c) proves he doesn't know how the new playoff system for football works...even though its basically the same as it has been.

As for the option you suggest, I hope we never have to go through that again...

No coach, anywhere, will say or do everything that the fans expect and/or want. IMO ... Williams has taken the GHS program and certainly turned it around in a positive manner. Many of us, including me, have been somewhat disappointed this year; however, my expectations may have been just a little too high for what actually makes up the Graham team talent wise. I was there two years ago when no one gave Graham a chance against Fort Chiswell. I remember the drive back to Roanoke afterwards as I took great delight in witnessing Graham pull off the upset. Part of a good coach's job is making his team believe that they can win. With the Marrs regime this belief did not exist for the team or the Virginia side fan base.

I do not think that Graham will upset Fort Chiswell this time around. However, I did not think that Graham would defeat Bluefield last year either. Anything can happen and I'll always back the G-Men! Just my two cents worth on the subject!

No coach, anywhere, will say or do everything that the fans expect and/or want. IMO ... Williams has taken the GHS program and certainly turned it around in a positive manner. Many of us, including me, have been somewhat disappointed this year; however, my expectations may have been just a little too high for what actually makes up the Graham team talent wise. I was there two years ago when no one gave Graham a chance against Fort Chiswell. I remember the drive back to Roanoke afterwards as I took great delight in witnessing Graham pull off the upset. Part of a good coach's job is making his team believe that they can win. With the Marrs regime this belief did not exist for the team or the Virginia side fan base.

I do not think that Graham will upset Fort Chiswell this time around. However, I did not think that Graham would defeat Bluefield last year either. Anything can happen and I'll always back the G-Men! Just my two cents worth on the subject!

You are correct sir, "anything can happen".  I just don't see how Graham defeating Fort Chiswell two years ago was an upset.  Fort Chiswell was not a very good football team that year.  In fact, they finished 5-5.

You are correct sir, "anything can happen".  I just don't see how Graham defeating Fort Chiswell two years ago was an upset.  Fort Chiswell was not a very good football team that year.  In fact, they finished 5-5.

Fort's coaching staff was fairly new and still in the middle of changing a culture of inferiority pertaining to the other Wythe County schools two years ago.  That mess is behind them, it appears.  Coach James is one of the top coaches in SWVA in my opinion.

Just for the record everyone knows Coach Marrs is not here anymore. How long will that be a excuse for poor "coaching performance"? We are a few years in and it's not looking like a marked turnaround like last year was. In fact we have fallen off a good bit. Just my opinion. What were the credentials Williams had to get the job? This is a honest question not being sarcastic. I was told he had a great record at other schools then I was told he had very little to nothing to do with the programs he was employed in, more of a field maintenance role. What is the truth because it sure doesn't appear he has much experience from the things I have witnessed. Just a observation and opinion. Not saying it is a fact at all but next year will be worse. Are we still going to be saying do we want Doug back? That's old news and he is old news. This is Wulliams team now and it's far from what I rxpected. Next year will truly decide what side of the fence I am on but right now I'm leaning and ready to hop off. Some changes need to happen in my opinion. Assistants from what I hear have no say in formations or play calling unless it is approved by the coach so we can't blame them.

I've got no problem with what he's doing...a great job with the G-Men in my opinion.

However, he's made some statements this year that have me shaking my head.  Now, this could just be from inept reporting by the BDT, but he's been quoted as saying some things that a) he shouldn't have said; b) came out the wrong way; and/or c) proves he doesn't know how the new playoff system for football works...even though its basically the same as it has been.

As for the option you suggest, I hope we never have to go through that again...

no need for anyone to get their dander up i was just picking a bit seeing as how i do not say a lot on here anyways just could not resist this part lol

Just for the record everyone knows Coach Marrs is not here anymore. How long will that be a excuse for poor "coaching performance"? We are a few years in and it's not looking like a marked turnaround like last year was. In fact we have fallen off a good bit. Just my opinion. What were the credentials Williams had to get the job? This is a honest question not being sarcastic. I was told he had a great record at other schools then I was told he had very little to nothing to do with the programs he was employed in, more of a field maintenance role. What is the truth because it sure doesn't appear he has much experience from the things I have witnessed. Just a observation and opinion. Not saying it is a fact at all but next year will be worse. Are we still going to be saying do we want Doug back? That's old news and he is old news. This is Wulliams team now and it's far from what I rxpected. Next year will truly decide what side of the fence I am on but right now I'm leaning and ready to hop off. Some changes need to happen in my opinion. Assistants from what I hear have no say in formations or play calling unless it is approved by the coach so we can't blame them.

there is no way on this earth i would ever want marrs back as coach not even little league, that being said as a person he is a good man as a coach leaves a lot to be desired. williams has had to change a culture of not wanting to do anything at ghs brought on by the previous coach. at least now the kids are starting to believe in the coach team and each other a far cry from the marrs years.it may take several more years for all the changes to show results that you want now. but marrs did not and could not do them in his years at ghs. so maybe you need to back off and leave the coaching to williams.

The biggest change that I see in the G-Men is character.  They aren't being told they aren't good enough or criticized or ridiculed after a performance.  They are being treated like young men and his whole philosophy is building "men of character".. I have been guilty of proclaiming Graham to be a great football team before the season begins...but I believe that this man is doing a whole lot more for these young men in preparing them for their future then the previous coaching staff....the heck with win-loss record.  I admire that he has faith in his team.  What do you expect him to say?.... "I hope we can keep it under 60?"....come on......

You are correct sir, "anything can happen". I just don't see how Graham defeating Fort Chiswell two years ago was an upset. Fort Chiswell was not a very good football team that year. In fact, they finished 5-5.

Fort was favored by 7-10 points by most of those in the know. Fort's performance against common opponents was stronger.

It wasn't a massive upset, though, like a few people have implied.

Graham will get beat by 50 plus points.  This Fort Chiswell team and the team 2 years ago were night and day different.  Two years ago, Fort Chiswell had a low seeded playoff type team.  This year, they have a deep-late run caliber state semi or state title appearing team.  Anytime a team finishes 5-5, it's not a huge upset if another team beats them.  Granted, it was an upset, but this game tomorrow would be monumental-mammoth in upset status.  Fort Chiswell is a different monster and Graham is going to realize that Friday night.  It will get ugly quickly, whether it be physical, speed, finesse, or coaching, FC is far better than Graham in all 4 categories this year BY FAR.

As for Williams, he is a smart you know what, period.  He's sarcastic in person and he's sarcastic to folks trying to get an interview in the media.  He has no reason to be a smart you know what, he's a High School Football Coach.  He's not a former coach at UVA.  He's not a college All-American.  He's nothing special, yet he portrays himself as if he is.  I know, some will say he's confident, or has "character" or is a straight shooter, or super dedicated and determined, blah, blah, blah.....just call it for what he is....he's a smart you know what, period.  There is simply no need to be that way.  As for his coaching ability, it's to early to tell.  Next year will tell more about him. As for Marrs, again, another smart you know what.  A good man?  No, not a good man.  A good person?  No, not a good person either.  Actually, Marrs was a better football coach regarding knowledge of the game than he is given credit for, but the problem was, he was such a despicable human that any relations he had with other humans went sour, whether that is the kids he coached or adults; therefore, regardless of his football knowledge, all the other qualities that go along with coaching, he lacked in.

Today's ROANOKE TIMES prediction ...

Fort Chiswell 35

Graham 22

I would bet my life savings on Fort Chiswell (-13).  I'm not kidding, either.  If this were on the books in Vegas, I would literally liquidate every fungible asset I have and place a bet on Fort Chiswell to cover this spread.

I dislike when newspapers run these hokey lines in an effort to try to not rock anyone's boat.  Fort should be favored by no less than 35 points.  I would probably put the score in the 55-13 range.

Graham will get beat by 50 plus points.  This Fort Chiswell team and the team 2 years ago were night and day different.  Two years ago, Fort Chiswell had a low seeded playoff type team.  This year, they have a deep-late run caliber state semi or state title appearing team.  Anytime a team finishes 5-5, it's not a huge upset if another team beats them.  Granted, it was an upset, but this game tomorrow would be monumental-mammoth in upset status.  Fort Chiswell is a different monster and Graham is going to realize that Friday night.  It will get ugly quickly, whether it be physical, speed, finesse, or coaching, FC is far better than Graham in all 4 categories this year BY FAR.

As for Williams, he is a smart you know what, period.  He's sarcastic in person and he's sarcastic to folks trying to get an interview in the media.  He has no reason to be a smart you know what, he's a High School Football Coach.  He's not a former coach at UVA.  He's not a college All-American.  He's nothing special, yet he portrays himself as if he is.  I know, some will say he's confident, or has "character" or is a straight shooter, or super dedicated and determined, blah, blah, blah.....just call it for what he is....he's a smart you know what, period.  There is simply no need to be that way.  As for his coaching ability, it's to early to tell.  Next year will tell more about him. As for Marrs, again, another smart you know what.  A good man?  No, not a good man.  A good person?  No, not a good person either.  Actually, Marrs was a better football coach regarding knowledge of the game than he is given credit for, but the problem was, he was such a despicable human that any relations he had with other humans went sour, whether that is the kids he coached or adults; therefore, regardless of his football knowledge, all the other qualities that go along with coaching, he lacked in.

if marrs was such a much better coach the why has williams won more games at ghs the past 3 years than marrs did his last 3 years. the only thing that made marrs a coach was carlock short and simple once he was gone marrs true colors as a coach came out and he ran the program into the ground. williams is bringing it out of the ground and back to where it needs to be, this will take a few years but they are on the right path. unlike with your best bud marrs. but on the subject of the game fort will win this game. but i think graham will play a much better game than most think they will.

if marrs was such a much better coach the why has williams won more games at ghs the past 3 years than marrs did his last 3 years. the only thing that made marrs a coach was carlock short and simple once he was gone marrs true colors as a coach came out and he ran the program into the ground. williams is bringing it out of the ground and back to where it needs to be, this will take a few years but they are on the right path. unlike with your best bud marrs. but on the subject of the game fort will win this game. but i think graham will play a much better game than most think they will.

I never wrote that Marrs was a better coach then Williams.  Those are your words.  What I did write was....Marrs had a football IQ higher than most give him credit for. Football IQ is one of the few components that go into being a good coach.  There is leadership, people skills, emotional intelligence, personality and other facts that go with it which set Marrs back from being a good coach.  Also, how do you put in your post "my best bud marrs" when I stated he wasn't a good person.  He's certainly not "my best bud."  Is he yours?  I suggest you do a bit of reading of people's posts before responding.  As for Williams, one fundamental flaw some fans may be making is deduction of facts by comparison of only two subjects.  For example...because Williams is better than Marrs, then Williams must be a good coach.  I simply don't buy the logic that Williams is automatically a good coach because he was better than Marrs.  The jury is out on Williams.  It's hard to say if he's a good coach or not.  As for Graham tonight, the G-men will play a good game and may very well play better than most think.  The thing is....there are 2 teams on the field and Fort Chiswell is also going to play a game better than most think, and that spells trouble.  Check this out...if Marrs would have only won 1 game his last 3 years, and Williams would have won 2 games in the first 3 years, then technically, yes....Williams has more wins than Marrs.  Again, neither record is very good though, regardless of whether Williams has more wins.

I never wrote that Marrs was a better coach then Williams.  Those are your words.  What I did write was....Marrs had a football IQ higher than most give him credit for. Football IQ is one of the few components that go into being a good coach.  There is leadership, people skills, emotional intelligence, personality and other facts that go with it which set Marrs back from being a good coach.  Also, how do you put in your post "my best bud marrs" when I stated he wasn't a good person.  He's certainly not "my best bud."  Is he yours?  I suggest you do a bit of reading of people's posts before responding.  As for Williams, one fundamental flaw some fans may be making is deduction of facts by comparison of only two subjects.  For example...because Williams is better than Marrs, then Williams must be a good coach.  I simply don't buy the logic that Williams is automatically a good coach because he was better than Marrs.  The jury is out on Williams.  It's hard to say if he's a good coach or not.  As for Graham tonight, the G-men will play a good game and may very well play better than most think.  The thing is....there are 2 teams on the field and Fort Chiswell is also going to play a game better than most think, and that spells trouble.  Check this out...if Marrs would have only won 1 game his last 3 years, and Williams would have won 2 games in the first 3 years, then technically, yes....Williams has more wins than Marrs.  Again, neither record is very good though, regardless of whether Williams has more wins.

if marrs had a high football iq as you say i would like to know where it was the 6 years he was at ghs. those were the worst years for football at ghs since hedrick was coach at graham maybe his football iq was for little league because he did nothing for highschool football as head coach at ghs.well other than giving up a home game with princeton to go watch unc play on a saturday. maybe that is what you meant.

if marrs had a high football iq as you say i would like to know where it was the 6 years he was at ghs. those were the worst years for football at ghs since hedrick was coach at graham maybe his football iq was for little league because he did nothing for highschool football as head coach at ghs.well other than giving up a home game with princeton to go watch unc play on a saturday. maybe that is what you meant.

You forget that he was defensive coordinator when Graham won those numerous Region IV titles from 1989-2004, right?

Far be it from me to heap accolades on a guy I wanted out about as much as anyone here. But the man knows football. He's just...well...others have said it.

You forget that he was defensive coordinator when Graham won those numerous Region IV titles from 1989-2004, right?

Far be it from me to heap accolades on a guy I wanted out about as much as anyone here. But the man knows football. He's just...well...others have said it.

he may know x and o but he knows nothing about how to deal with kids unless they are related to him. more to being a smart coach than x and o. this is why graham went from a good team to a so so team and if marrs was such a good coach then what happened to the team the last several years of his term at ghs. guess it can be blamed on the kids at ghs for not working hard enough. but it takes someone willing to work with the kids to motivate them to give it their best. he could not do that. once the kids that had played for carlock graduated you saw a hugh change in the gmen on the field. so in my opinion marrs is not a good head football coach. maybe a defensive one under another head coach but not head coach material not now not ever. with this all being said i do not have anything against doug, he is a  good person this i know for a fact just not football good. this is just my opinion.

I would bet my life savings on Fort Chiswell (-13).  I'm not kidding, either.  If this were on the books in Vegas, I would literally liquidate every fungible asset I have and place a bet on Fort Chiswell to cover this spread.

I dislike when newspapers run these hokey lines in an effort to try to not rock anyone's boat.  Fort should be favored by no less than 35 points.  I would probably put the score in the 55-13 range.

A public apology is in order. That team showed heart that would make any Graham fan proud.

Very pleased to be dead wrong. And hypothetically broke.

Congrats to the G-Men! You shocked everyone tonight!