Bluefield versus Wayne

BeaverHokie

Bluefield has one blemish on the record against Princeton.  Wayne has none.  Bluefield has seemingly dominated every other game they've played.

How do you think they match up?  Wayne whooped Bluefield last year, but one thing I am hearing a lot about is Bluefield's strength training, that they revamped it this past year, and it seems to have made a difference.  Is it enough?

And...big picture, how much does this game matter, as both teams will be in the playoffs.  Last year, Bluefield couldn't even make it to a rematch with Wayne.

Thoughts?

How much does this game matter? A helluva lot for both teams considering the winner secures the #1 seed and home field through the state semifinals. The loser will finish no higher than the #3 which means they would be on the road semifinal weekend. Wayne has won 32 consecutive games and their kids do not want to be the ones to lose that streak. Bluefield has been beaten handily two consecutive games by Wayne and have a lot to prove against the 2-time defending state champs. So again how much does this game mean? I would say as much as any game outside of a state championship game; although the outcome will impact and shape the state championship game in five weeks.

How much does this game matter? A helluva lot for both teams considering the winner secures the #1 seed and home field through the state semifinals. The loser will finish no higher than the #3 which means they would be on the road semifinal weekend. Wayne has won 32 consecutive games and their kids do not want to be the ones to lose that streak. Bluefield has been beaten handily two consecutive games by Wayne and have a lot to prove against the 2-time defending state champs. So again how much does this game mean? I would say as much as any game outside of a state championship game; although the outcome will impact and shape the state championship game in five weeks.

That's pretty scary to think that Wayne has won 32 straight.  They're probably mad that the WVSSAC computer has ranked them as #2 even with a perfect record, but that has to do with schedule strength and how the defeated opponents do, and Bluefield has gained a lot of benefit from that.

No way Wayne tries to cruise into the playoffs and lose that winning streak.  They're always very tough, very physical.  Should be interesting to see if 12 months of better strength training helps Bluefield match up with them.

Last year, Wayne obviously thumped Bluefield.  I wonder if that took Bluefield's morale, thinking that even if they marched though the playoffs, another thumping awaited them in Wheeling.  May account for the loss they had on the road.

I'd say the odds are definitely against Bluefield winning this game.  Hope that is a motivator for Bluefield...

This game is huge since the loser would likely have to go to Bridgeport in the playoff semis and the winner is home in the playoff semis vs Summers County. In my mind there are only 3 teams that have a legitimate shot to win it all. Sorry Summers County you aint one of them.

Bluefield is a much better team than a year ago....  It definitely won't be a blowout.  I hope to see Bluefield on the winning side of this one.  Bluefield is much more physical than a year ago and they have plenty of speed.  Don't know much about Wayne, but they'll need to have one heck of a ball team to beat the Beavers this year.

Final score:

Wayne 29

Bluefield 27

Very close game.  Punch and counterpunch.  Would love to see a rematch of this game.  Sounds like it was very physical.  Bluefield apparently did a lot better, but the radio call says that Wayne was really controlling the line of scrimmage.

Does Wayne just have a really good strength training program, or just genetics (an abundance of big strong kids)?

Appears this year's Wayne team handled themselves better than last year, no cheap shots, no jaw-yapping.

Wayne was by far more physical.  They could run #3 anytime they wanted basically for 3 or 4 yards every time.  Wayne also had more speed then I expected.

But Bluefield way simply out coached.  I felt that that Bluefield was in control of the game until the second half.  Defense looked out of place and confused with what Wayne was running.  Don't think #45 for Bluefield touched the ball the entire second half when he was having his way with Wayne's defense in the second quarter.  Bluefield played tough and had a chance to win, and I think they had more talent.....Wayne was just better coached. 

IMHO When it's late in the game and it's close wayne finds ways to win.Has this been the only game up to this point that the starters had to play the whole game? I personally would like to see a Wayne vs Madonna or a Wayne vs Wheeling Central match up.I think most years this would be the one time that the public school would come out on top most years.Wayne is a superior team when the game is in the trenches and its clutch time Wayne will find a way to win.Bluefield has a top notch program, but the better team won because the best team finds away to win it win  the clock hits 0:00. I wouldnt be suprised or shocked if they meet again in the playoffs and Bluefield wins. IMHO

Takeaways from the game:

1. Wayne has the mental toughness and swagger you expect a back-to-back state champion riding a now 33-game winning streak to have.
  2. Speaking of mental toughness, Bluefield doesn't yet have the level that it takes to win a state title.
  3. Bluefield, as I've said several times, lacks on-the-field player leadership. In the second half, when Wayne was controlling the clock and eating up yards the Bluefield defenders weren't communicating and encouraging one another. They were standing individually waiting for the next snap of the ball; a lack of leadership is why Beaver hasn't returned to Wheeling since 2009.
  4. I was disappointed that Beaver almost totally abandoned the I-formation and running game in the second half. When they ran the i-formation in the 2nd quarter they had the most success against Wayne the entire night. In addition, it seemed the same 5-6 plays were ran the entire night and Wayne is too good not to eventually catch onto that.
  5. Wayne absolutely dominated the line of scrimmage, especially Bluefield’s OL. The OL did not give the playmakers any opportunity to get into the open field and make plays.

6. Finally, Bluefield's defense needs to learn to tackle at the waist or below and wrap-up as opposed to arm-tackling and trying to strip the football on every occasion. That approach might work against lesser opponents and players, but against a better team with runners like Wayne's #3 it is a recipe for disaster.

Takeaways from the game:

1. Wayne has the mental toughness and swagger you expect a back-to-back state champion riding a now 33-game winning streak to have.
  2. Speaking of mental toughness, Bluefield doesn't yet have the level that it takes to win a state title.
  3. Bluefield, as I've said several times, lacks on-the-field player leadership. In the second half, when Wayne was controlling the clock and eating up yards the Bluefield defenders weren't communicating and encouraging one another. They were standing individually waiting for the next snap of the ball; a lack of leadership is why Beaver hasn't returned to Wheeling since 2009.
  4. I was disappointed that Beaver almost totally abandoned the I-formation and running game in the second half. When they ran the i-formation in the 2nd quarter they had the most success against Wayne the entire night. In addition, it seemed the same 5-6 plays were ran the entire night and Wayne is too good not to eventually catch onto that.
  5. Wayne absolutely dominated the line of scrimmage, especially Bluefield’s OL. The OL did not give the playmakers any opportunity to get into the open field and make plays.

6. Finally, Bluefield's defense needs to learn to tackle at the waist or below and wrap-up as opposed to arm-tackling and trying to strip the football on every occasion. That approach might work against lesser opponents and players, but against a better team with runners like Wayne's #3 it is a recipe for disaster.

On #6, that seems to be too common.  I think kids watch too much SportsCenter.  Taking a guy down by the legs doesn't become a clip that makes it on ESPN.