BHC article: SWVA football decline

Beamerball

If your class and others around it were around 140 then the 9-12 enrollment would have been around 550-575.

Using a very inexact form of calculating enrollment(my fiance'selementary school yearbook) the late 90s enrolment for Coeburn would have been in the 575-600 range.

Elementary schools always have higher enrollment than high schools.  Especially back then because you could quit when you were 16.  Using that logic, Appalachia would have had 400-500 students in the 2000's.  I'm tellin' ya, Coeburn wasn't anywhere near as large back then as you are thinking.

I did over size Coeburn a little but still, they were atleast 100 students larger than today and that makes a difference.

When we were comparing school size we discussed the 3 largest wise county schools but didnt really talk about the 3 smaller ones. The decline in enrollments at Appy, Pound and St Paul was staggering. I dont have the # and really dont know where to start calculating them but Central, Union and Eastside are roughly the same size as JJK, PV and Coeburn were back in the 90s(Eastside isint exact since alot of the St Paul kids went to Castlewood). Buchannon County was also hit REALLY hard by declining population, all of the students combined in BC today would only be slightly(less that 100)  more than was in Grundy in the early 90s.

Alot of different factors go into the decline but I still say overall it isint as severe as many make it out to be. Kids arent smaller and they arent slower. Definately not as strong, definately not as tough. And there are fewer of them. The talent level has dropped but I think thats more of the 90s being exceoptionally talented than it is this era dropping. Single A is fairing just fine on a state level, AA is struggling but that has more to do with the other parts of the state developping speed, which as Lance has said SWVA is WAY behind in that area.

and newuser(get a different name, come on man!) is right, we tend to remember teams from the past as better, thats human nature. I think someone else mentioned that earlier.

Thought I would throw out some Wise County enrollment figures from a decade ago. The PV figures are in line with sup_rbeast's  estimate.                                                                                                                                                                                                

PV enrollment '02-'03 school year:

9-    147

10-  131

11-  107

12-  126

Total- 511

There is no reason to think that there was a great variation in numbers from the mid-nineties on. 

Other enrollments were ('02-'03 school year):

Coeburn-       412

Wise-            533

St. Paul-        192

Appalachia-   243

Pound-          246

The three smaller schools had stable enrollments until their closure ('09-'10 enrollments):

St. Paul-       193

Appalachia-  249

Pound-         222

source?   just curious

I had PV at around 500 just prior to consolidation. I thought JJK was considerably larger, my mistake.

the graduation class at Coeburn in 76 had 98, which assuming all of the grades were similar in size would have put them right at 400. Pretty consistant over 3+ decades.

VDOE fall enrollment statistics. Can be located under Statistics and Reports on the VDOE site. The Superintendent's Annual Report for each year is also pretty good. For the 90's and before  VDOE  should have the figures- doubt they will ever post the older ones.