Richlands @ Giles

Ryan4VT

Looks like the game is Friday at 7. 

Many story lies in this one. Giles coming off of a narrow win over Appomattox. Richlands with the 3OT thriller. Mance is returning home. Lots of family ties between the two.  

All that aside, I think Giles is beatable. But it will take a flawless game from the Blues. With it being Thanksgiving week, that will just add to the distractions and lack of the normal daily routine for both teams. 

Winner of this one hosts a state semifinal!!

Thoughts? Predictions?

Pulling for Richlands in this one. I think Giles is very beatable. Richlands will have to play to win not Play not to lose. Too many teams play not to lose in the playoffs and end up losing. Both GC and Union were in play not to lose mode most of todays game.

Richlands got the luck of the draw with the first two playoff games being teams that have face once already this season... They will have to bring their A game this week... A little advice is to tackle everyone!

Richlands got the luck of the draw with the first two playoff games being teams that have face once already this season... They will have to bring their A game this week... A little advice is to tackle everyone!

I think playing a team for a second time is harder. I'd much rather play a new team.

Speaking of, these two teams haven't played each other in the Mance era. So they don't know each other. That makes this matchup all the more exciting.

I think Richlands not having played Giles this season unlike their first two playoff games is a disadvantage.  Single wing is hard to prepare for no matter what, plus the game is at Giles.....Giles by 14+.

One thing is for sure,  the Blues are going to have to cut down on the turnovers big time.  Against a team as good as Giles,  you cannot give them extra downs and limit yours and expect to win.  I am also concerned about the health of Colton !

Mance and Wright have a very good relationship.    I'm betting the house that they talk this week about how Battle prepared for and played Giles last year.  I can tell you that they didn't use a football during practice to simulate the singlewing.   Neither did we at Appalachia back when we played Bath County.  The last thing you want to do is "ball watch".   Read your keys, play your assignments and trust your teammates to do the same.    Other than that,  Richlands will win this game on the line of scrimmage.

Anybody is beatable. I wouldnt say easily beatable. John Battle did a great job last year. But the difference in that game was special teams. Blocked punt got a lot of momentum going and we lost control of our game plan. John Battle was very dissaplined and played emotional. They beat us at our own game. This year Giles has a lot of team speed. The defense has a lot of speed, and they play physical, like always. Offensively they have 4 fast backs. 2 tailbacks alternate. Mann is small and quick, Perdue is bigger and more powerful. Both have good passing ability. Whitlow is the fast fullback. Teats is the hard running wingback. The line is dominant as usual. Richlands and Giles usually share a lot of things in common. Should be a good, game at a packed house.

I don't know who to go with in this one. I thought Richlands would be a lot better against VHS since everyone was healthy but they seem to still be having some issues.

Mance seems to have the most luck of any one I've ever seen...and sometimes it's better to be lucky than good...Richlands has a both of those bases covered....the only thing about luck is that sooner or later it's  going to run out. 

If it's a close game you have to think Richlands has the edge and will continue to just find a way to win it.

Any time you play Giles the LB's are in for a long night.

I have a question of interest for those who may know-- are we saying Mance played for Ragsdale and the single wing was their offense in his time?

Steve Ragsdale started running the Single Wing in 1978, that was his first year. The Single Wing has been there ever since. Giles runs the Single Wing just about as good as a team can run the offense. Doesn't all of Giles Little League programs run the Single Wing? I always was told they did and that was the reason they could run it so well in high school.

This year Giles has a lot of team speed. The defense has a lot of speed, and they play physical, like always. Offensively they have 4 fast backs. 2 tailbacks alternate. Mann is small and quick, Perdue is bigger and more powerful. Both have good passing ability. Whitlow is the fast fullback. Teats is the hard running wingback. The line is dominant as usual. Richlands and Giles usually share a lot of things in common. Should be a good, game at a packed house.

Looking at some of the film from the Christiansburg and Blacksburg games, I was impressed with the overall team speed of Giles.  They probably have the most overall team speed that Richlands has seen since Bluefield.  Also the special teams were very impressive.   Lot of big returns on kicks and a couple to TD's as well. 

O-line looked big, D-line looked just a big (especially the defensive ends).

Give credit where credit is due.  This VHS team by seasons end was putting all the pieces of the puzzle together. Kiser was a difference maker.  Beating Gretna speaks volumes.  At times they are almost like watching a reflection of what Richlands likes to do.

I agree the single wing is hard but look at the year mance plays two teams in their last home scrimmage that's run it belfry runs it pretty well then union and blufield and vahigh have wonderful speed so that being said and the fact that mance knows it like the back of his hand he ran it for three years as a player we should like our chances and graham played them close I think if we catch the ball should be a game at Ernie next Saturday

Giles is rated #1 for a reason !  The Blues are healthy and playing better right now with a little better depth then when the season started.  If this game is a blow out,  I think Giles is the team that blows out the Blues ( hurts me to say that )  because of the over all team speed of Giles,   but if the game is close,  then I like the blues chances !

I have a lot of respect for the Giles team for what they have done over a long period of time and pull for them when not playing the blues

No chance that VHS had anything to do with that? 

Here we go with the begging for respect thing again, didn't say anything negative about VHS, just said I thought Richlands would play better with everyone healthy against VHS. I expected them to be a little more aggressive with the game plan.

Give credit where credit is due.  This VHS team by seasons end was putting all the pieces of the puzzle together. Kiser was a difference maker.  Beating Gretna speaks volumes.  At times they are almost like watching a reflection of what Richlands likes to do.

How many Richlands folks does VHS have in the program now? Probably has something to do with it.