The Team

oldfalcon56

Bob,

I think I understand what you are trying to say. Not sure that you do. hahahaha  Messing with you.

I would agree with you when you say: " I think/know that Gate City benefits from having kids attend school even though they live in TN.  Sports or otherwise doesn't matter". I do agree with this. I honestly think most GC fans would agree with this.

It is when you start talking about a "practice" that "many" kids who essentially can't compete in TN come to GC. This part is 100% wrong. Like I said, the only kid I know of in recent memory who transferred schools for athletics is a kid who left GC. BTW, I have heard this kid hates DB and may be coming back to GC.

You also have to realize that it is also possible that kids who would normally go to GC are going to a TN school for the same reasons I listed in my previous post. A dlouble edged sword.

"And you are fooling yourself if you do not think that (on occasion) a kid who is marginal at a huge school like DB does not cross the line to play at a small VA school" Honestly Bob, I am aware of NO kids who fit this description. I have already told you that two kids DID do this 20 years ago or so. I know about them because it IS a big deal when a kid does something like that.

Believe it or not, it is fairly common for a kid who lives in TN to start and finish school in Scott County. It is almost unheard of for a kid to come to GC during high school for athletics. Heck, I would tell you otherwise if it were true.

"And my first "jab" about TN annexing Gate City was tongue in cheek and not meant as a serious provocation."  I know.

"And I'll wager a great deal that more than a few have jumped the state/county line just for that reason."  Hey....I thought you didn't wager? :) 

Something you are not thinking about is the tradition at some schools.........like DB. It is the same way at GC. The kids grow up WANTING to play at GC or DB. These are not kids who WANT to change schools. Kind of like your nephew. He probably could have gone to a different school, but he did not. I would guess that this is the way with MOST kids at these "tradition" schools.

If you wanna talk about kids jumping state lines, how about the kids from West Virginia coming to Richlands. And you know kids go back & forth from Bluefield, WV to Bluefield, VA. Theres kids that switch in Bristol as well, but its more one sided since they don't wanna play for Va. High and transfer to Battle or Tenn. High. I'm sure it happens alot everywhere. Theres been several GC kids transfer to North, DB and Twin Springs in the past.

Ryan...ever ride through and look at the tags on the vehicles in the Gate City parking lot? A whole lot of TN tags there. And not all of them are teachers...or they have a really good student/teacher ratio. It is routine and common knowledge that many TN athletes that can't cut it at the bigger TN schools in close proximity to Gate City transfer to Gate City. You won't hear anybody from Gate City denying it either...it is easy enough to prove. To my knowledge, there are no TN residents attending VHS.

You are aware that Gate City and Kingsport are very close are you not? I guess it would make no sense to someone who is not familiar with the area or that practice.

Beamerball. Thanks for your 2 cents. Never said Gate City doesn't have good programs. Just pointing out that they aren't all home grown or even from same state. You denying that is the case?

I am familiar with the area and how things work there. I'm not saying there aren't kids from TN at GC. I'm simply saying that one shouldn't poke at another school when your school is the same way. That's all I'm saying.

I BELIEVE the reason that Scott County allows kids to attend school in Scott County, no matter where they live, has nothing to do with athletics. It is my understanding that the county receives a dollar amount each year for each student in school, or maybe it makes it easier for the county to ask for more money if they have more students enrolled. Anyway, it is something like that. The more kids we have enrolled, the more money we can get or ask for.

Once again........it comes down to money........like most things. Has nothing to do with athletics.

I BELIEVE the reason that Scott County allows kids to attend school in Scott County, no matter where they live, has nothing to do with athletics. It is my understanding that the county receives a dollar amount each year for each student in school, or maybe it makes it easier for the county to ask for more money if they have more students enrolled. Anyway, it is something like that. The more kids we have enrolled, the more money we can get or ask for.

Once again........it comes down to money........like most things. Has nothing to do with athletics.

Bingo.

I'm from Bristol but I'll sum this up real quick. Kids from Volunteer, Sullivan North and now Lee High leave to go to Gate City because they want to win. I hate Gate City but I know they take an average athlete and make them great. It isn't because of the competition being weaker but because Gate City knows how to train and make especially gifted athletes. The Rasnic kid who is from Lee County. Would he of had all those tackles playing at Lee High? I doubt it. I'll take up for Gate City. They don't recruit, why? Because they don't have too. Those banners in the gym say it all....just the truth.

It happens all over.  Galax has had a handful of starters from North Carolina the past few seasons and from what I am seeing, more will follow.  Winning brings more transfers.

I know this is a bb thread--but I wonder what the response would be if a Richlands poster said this on a fb thread.  lol

Life has many choices---eternity two

It happens all over.  Galax has had a handful of starters from North Carolina the past few seasons and from what I am seeing, more will follow.  Winning brings more transfers.

Losing adds to that available pool.  Lee's coaching issues and losing records have turned many kids away over the years, either by transferring to PV, Appy, Union, Rye Cove, TW, or wherever.  This last move when they prematurely kicked Palko out and brought in the middle school staff, we had one go to TW and the Rasnick kid, who played at Pennington in middle school, decided to go to GC.