GREAT DAY FOR ABINGDON FOOTBALL

FALCON

I bet Big O is walking up and down the streets of Abingdon looking like Smiling Bob. Hopefully they can get somebody in there that will get everybody involved....the players, parents, school and the community. Like I said before, it would be nice to ride thru Abingdon on a Friday evening and see some balloons and paint on the windows.

A lot of potential at Abingdon, would be a great opportunity. Hopefully they will get a good coach who can get something going over there

Maybe steal Matlock from Holston, he has done a fine job over there

That could very well happen. Especially since Mr. King is there now.

They do have a lot of good talent coming up. If it can be used properly the Falcons could be one of the better teams in the area. Abingdon is just a disaster with their classification, location and politics. It will take some thick skin. 

What about Coach Mike Briscoe. he still lives in Abingdon. Played football and was all state at defensive end. He loves the town of Abingdon and im sure he would be interested in the opening. He coached under Bowles one year and they played the best defense in the Bowles era while Coach Briscoe was the defensive coordinator. He led Marion to their first ever 6-0 start 2009. He could bring Abingdon back to glory days of the 70s.

What about Coach Mike Briscoe. he still lives in Abingdon. Played football and was all state at defensive end. He loves the town of Abingdon and im sure he would be interested in the opening. He coached under Bowles one year and they played the best defense in the Bowles era while Coach Briscoe was the defensive coordinator. He led Marion to their first ever 6-0 start 2009. He could bring Abingdon back to glory days of the 70s.

I think that would be a great pick for Abingdon. I know a lot of folks at Marion aren't fond of him, but I always thought he kind of got the short end of the stick, working with a tough hand near the end of his run. All things considered, when you look at where they had been for several years before he moved into the head coach job, he really turned the program around. The state tournament run of 2001 was a distant memory by that point and while the 3-8 record in his last season wasn't something that the fans wanted to see, there were a lot of off-field issues that caused that. Like BigO said, he's a "I guarantee you nothing but hard work" type coach, which is exactly the type of leadership that Abingdon needs. He could be a very good asset for the Falcons.

I played for him at Marion during his first season as head coach and his second when Marion won eight ball games. I never saw a coach who worked harder. By Saturday morning he had already had the game from the night before scouted and would have players scouting sheets.We would of went to war with him, that's how much respect he received. Some did not like him at Marion, that is true. But he played the best kids. Their parents didn't matter. We were there to win. "There is no substitute for victory" He always said it was really hard to ask the players to work hard if the coaches wont. Coaches job is to do everything in their power to make sure the kids have everything they need to win. His first year at Abingdon, they did not have scrimmage which set them back. the second year Bowles wouldn't try to find one and Coach Briscoe got Abingdon  a scrimmage. The record that second year was better.

• 1 month later...