Prisoner exchange

mavsgrad

I'm sure that many of you have heard about our president negotiating a deal to release 5 notorious terrorists from prison so they can return to the Taliban for the release of an American POW. On the surface this sounds like a great thing that an American soldier is coming home but the underlying details of this deal scares and infuriates me.

1. According to the news reporting I have read our president is legally required to inform congress 30 days prior to a deal like this being carried out and he didn't. This shouldn't be a shock, as our president has bypassed congress and the checks and balances of our government on countless occassions but I am baffled at how no one in power seems to want to do anything about the fact that he seems to think he is above the law and that the constitution  and laws of our nation don't apply to him.

2. You might be able to overlook the presidents bypassing congress if not for the rest of the story. According to news reporting, there is a significant amount of evidence that the soldier we negotiated to have released, communicated pointed remarks of criticism against America just 3 days before he went missing and there is also a lot of information (including testimonies from his platoon mates) pointing to the likelyhood that he deserted (see video in link below).

3. The icing on the cake for me is that this man's parents stood with our president and his father praised the name of Allah in Arabic for the release of his son while the taliban posted a video of their 5 prisoners returning home and said it was a great victory (see video link). To me if the taliban likes it then Americans shouldn't.

I don't mean this to be a bash on our president or a republican vs democrat thing. I am just seriously concerned for my country and very disturbed by the details that are starting to come out about this prisoner transfer. I can't see how anyone who loves America, loves our freedom, and wants to see us remain strong could condone such actions or have even an ounce of confidence in our current administration after pulling something like this.

Please let me know if you have heard of something different that sheds a new light on this but from what I have read and seen it causes me to be very disturbed about America's current leadership.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uAmRW0IDa7o#t=0

Can't find the article now, but there was one that I read which said he had sent his belongings back home and gathered survival supplies just before disappearing (leading many to believe that he did desert......though I'm not sure if him becoming a POW was planned or not). His father also had some suspicious comments on Twitter that he deleted (though nothing is ever permanently deleted from the Internet). Lots and lots of scary new details keep coming out. I really don't like conspiracy theories or anything like that, but when all the news outlets (not just Fox) are reporting the same thing, there must be some truth to it all.

What worries me is that the 5 terrorists that were released will surely rejoin al-Qaeda and plan more attacks on the US. This exchange means more possible civilian deaths and/or soldier deaths as they try to stop them (again). And all for a guy who deserted and apparently has anti-American views. I heard on the radio this morning that he had apparently left his base and gone AWOL once before because "he was bored".

I think you're exactly right that these five guys will likely find their way back into a terrorist group and will more than likely carry out attacks somewhere. I don't understand for the life of me why our president thinks that you can negotiate with terrorists and that you can just be nice to them and somehow they will no longer want to attack us. The Taliban is not going to hate us any less because we released 5 of their guys. Instead they will laugh at our stupidity and will use those same guys to try and hurt us. When it comes to dealing with terrorists I like Teddy's philosophy of speaking softly and carrying a big stick.

As painful as it is for me as a Southerner to say this, General George Sherman had it right:  "War is cruelty.  There is no use trying to reform it.  The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over".  Machiavelli said, "..it is much safer to be feared than to be loved..."  And Curtis Lemay may have said it best, albeit rather crudely, when he said, "If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting". 

I cannot for the life of me understand why our government does not get it that appeasement does not work, will not work and has never worked.  Time to get out the Big Stick...and use it.

I really think the actions are un-American. Imo we should have found out where he was and went and got him, at all costs. It really isint about his life, its about the principle. Go take him and whatever camp he was in should have been reduced to ash. Once our military had him back then work out the details of how he disappeared. 

We need more Big Stick!

Those 5 will without a doubt return to their pre-capture activities.

Making a deal with the Taliban is a bad move and I fear the repercussions. 

I do feel that the backlash is a good thing, means we aren't all just blindly following.

Our Country is screwed...

Has been screwed even before society elected him.  When there is enough people getting handouts to cater to in order to win an election, the nation and it's appointed officials have failed.

I want to throw up when Kerry goes on TV to say these five released have eyes on them and that Americans need not worry about their safety.  How's that Benghazi thing working out since the U. S. Embassy was blown up there?

Then Mrs. Clinton has to open her fat mouth and says that these five released aren't a threat to Americans but they are a threat to the Afghans.  How many American soldiers are still fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq again??

I continue to weep for the future and how long it's going to take this country to repair the damage done by this administration.