Numbers

coachm

If my count was right, there were around 40 at the parent meeting last night. Coach said he expects 41-43 possibly as many as 45 indicated by the physical forms received and people who have said they are coming but haven't submitted physicals yet.

A couple of days isn't going to matter.

Yes, it will.  That's 3 fewer days to add plays, evaluate talent, and condition.  If Coach Williams isn't just using his 3 rest days early (a strategy I highly disagree with), it's going to create a bit of a bind.  In THE sport where coaches do everything possible to maximize time, shortening the preseason practices by 3 days is very bewildering.

Well then maybe you should coach. They've been putting stuff in all summer. If you ever got out from behind a computer you might know that. I forgot how wonderful this place is with you attacking my post 12 seconds after I post it. Carry on uva o......

According to VHSL rules teams must practice at least 15 days and no more than 20 says prior to opening day. So either take the days off now or later in the summer.....there will be more than 20 available this summer. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think I am.

The majority of teams are starting on Monday in VA. I would appreciate the extra weekend off.  

Williams conditions those kids harder than 90% of coaches in the area.  I see no disadvantage to starting on monday, these kids have been preparing since December, just like everybody else.

A couple of days isn't going to matter.

Williams conditions those kids harder than 90% of coaches in the area.  I see no disadvantage to starting on monday, these kids have been preparing since December, just like everybody else.

I guess we will see when the season starts.  If you're right, I'll admit I was wrong.  But if I'm right, I'll tell you I told you so.

BTW, just wondering, did Graham participate in any 7-on-7 events this summer?  Serious question since I don't know because all I do is sit behind a computer screen all day at work.  I have to rely on others for info...

I guess we will see when the season starts. If you're right, I'll admit I was wrong. But if I'm right, I'll tell you I told you so.

BTW, just wondering, did Graham participate in any 7-on-7 events this summer? Serious question since I don't know because all I do is sit behind a computer screen all day at work. I have to rely on others for info...

I'm not saying they will be a great team, I am saying that it probably doesn't matter if they started on Thursday or Monday. All teams have the same parameters. I have already said that I think Tazewell will be the best team in Tazewell county this season, if Graham has a good team, that will be good too. Sounds to me that Graham is not expected to be very good, so I guess we will have to wait and see.

I've heard 2 opposing views about Graham so far....either they suck horribly...(heard that a lot, but I hear that every year)...or they are young but have a lot of talent, I'm hoping its the 2nd opinion that is true.

They participated in a 7 on 7 at Honaker and 1 at Emory. They played well at Honaker until they got beat by the Richlands JV Team. The Emory 7 on 7 was up and down for them all day.

I believe that the one at Emory got cancelled...not sure if they ever made it up.

I would say the coach has his good reasons for starting Monday, and given that nobody wants to see the team win more than him,I'm cool with it. I'm happy with the course we are on, and can't wait for some Graham football. If the youth comes on quick, and folks adjust to new roles,then we can be very good. I'm going,,,,,,7 and 3.

I went to Battle's practice yesterday to talk to the new coach about me filming this year and just to see a little bit of what we have. I didn't get to stay long, but I counted around 47 players there and a few 8th graders (hard to get an exact count with everyone moving around though). I'd expect Battle to start the season with around 50 or more. We're going to be pretty young this year and I didn't really see a whole lot of size like I've seen in years past, but I know these kids are disciplined and focused and will give it everything they've got. Gonna be a rebuilding year, but it'll be interesting to watch.

And on a side note, Battle FINALLY got a brand new scoreboard. They put it on the other end of the field where the lower concession stand is and it looks amazing. I'm so glad they finally got one. Needed a new board for a long time. (I also tried to take a picture of it to post on here, but it was too sunny for my phone's crappy camera, lol).