Bluefield vs Graham

BHS03

First off, no one said that Graham was a powerhouse under Marrs.  Although Marrs had some good attributes as a coach, I don't think he was a very good judge of talent and listened to the wrong people.  Same can be said about Williams, he has a few good attributes as a coach (Strength and Conditioning), but I don't think he is very good with Offense or Defense.

Second, was moonshine's comment intended for the 1st or 2nd sentence you replied to? 

208 is the number of points Williams has given up to Bluefield in his 4 years.  That's 52 points per contest allowed and the most points scored by Bluefield over any 4 year period in the history of the series.

Most of this rant I'm about to go on is not directed at you vtdavis, so please forgive me.  

You can't blame Williams for that first year.....he had been with the team for about a month.... Also, I've been watching Bluefield play for 40 years.  This is, in my humble opinion,may be  the best offensive team they have ever put together.  (with possibly the exception of 2004).

Bluefield put up a lot of points on everybody last season, not just Graham.

I'm sick and tired of hearing the complaining about Graham's coach....I'm more sick than tired of it  The attitude of some so called Graham fans just plain sucks.  Most football coaches have a prickish nature (it comes with the job), deal with it. 

Williams has put the pieces into place.  A good head coach gathers the right pieces.  Some of you all may not like it, but he has brought in some good coaches, maybe they are not the good old boys that everybody likes, but they know football.  The Defensive Coach has 43 freaking years of experience and coached at Multi-State Champion Salem.....but you have given his defense a total of ONE game to get used to the system.  I don't care what any of you say about how basic the "Salem 53" defense is.  It may be a basic defense, but it takes time to learn it, just like anything else and these young kids will catch on soon enough.  There are several kids playing in different spots.  I don't know about you folks, but I trust the judgment of somebody who has coached for 43 years better than the people I hear complaining about it.

Nothing has been wrong with the offense the past 3 seasons, it's been the defense and Williams has addressed the issue.

Give it a rest!, Give it some time! and for Pete's sake support the team!

Disclaimer:  Not all of this rant is directed at posters on this board, it's also directed at what I have heard in the community as well.  This rant does not express the opinion of swvafootball.com and is the sole opinion of the poster with the alias "futbolking".  This rant may have side effects of nervousness, anxiousness, twitching and angry feelings.  Do not go on a rant like this unless you consult your Doctor. 

208 is the number of points Williams has given up to Bluefield in his 4 years.  That's 52 points per contest allowed and the most points scored by Bluefield over any 4 year period in the history of the series.

About time you showed up! 

Now, since you haven't been here since about the ninth week of last season...let's talk about how Graham shit-kicked your Pioneers last year...

GMAN, in response to your comment about Graham's win over FC, kudos to Graham by winning a hard-hitting contest on the road in a game I certainly did not think Graham would win.  I think most Graham fans probably felt the same going into that game.  Either way, Graham won it fair and square and had a great performance.

FutbolKing, I am not blaming your coach or assigning responsibility regarding the 52 points per game average over the last 4 years.  I am just giving you that statistic.  I also have a tough time believing the Bluefield offense this year is better than all previous Bluefield offenses when considering the AAA state title teams of the 60's and 70's that garnered national attention and recognition.  It does not matter if it's 1970-something: if a team rushes for 350 yards or so a game in that time given the state of the offensive systems in place, that offense could and should receive discussion as one of Bluefield's best.  The 2014 Bluefield offense may indeed be the best, but again when you consider the history of Bluefield and dominance at the AAA level in which they were basically screwed out of perhaps 3 or 4 state title chances under Gainer in addition to winning the others when Charleston chose to invite them on a given year, we can at least agree the 2014 offense as the best in Bluefield history is arguable.

I also would ask you check the new former Salem defensive coach at Graham High.  I do not know anything about him, but I thought the former defensive coordinator at Salem under Willis White during the 90's in which they won like 3 or 4 state titles in a row was the father of former Salem standout and Virginia Tech player, Shane Miles.   Salem has certainly been great and is still right up there among the best in Div 4, but their hay-days were the 90's.

Billy miles was the offensive line coach. Not anything on defense.

With that shared and the father of Miles not being the defensive coordinator at Salem, is the current new coach at Graham the former defensive coordinator at Salem in the 90's under Willis White with the string of 3 or 4 state titles?  Is it the same person?  If not, what are his years at Salem?

No real bone to pick with Williams or Hinkle but having more than one defensive scheme in your playbook is just smart coaching. Because if your in a game and the defense just isn't getting it done on that side of the ball then why not have options. Having choices such as a 5-3, a 4-4 or a 22, a dime or a short yardage option available to go to when needed can't be anything but other than good coaching. Williams strength program has given these boy confidence which is a change in the attitude from a few years ago.

Williams could look like a hero with this program if he would put in an OC and DC that he could turn complete control over to and then just manage the staff and the game.

Strength and confidence are there add multiple looks and game management and they will be dangerous.

As for Bluefield that offense is special, hard to say if they are the best ever after 1 game but there wasn't much missing from it. I would love to see it against one of those Charlotte teams they played a few years back. 

Just to clarify I did say it "may" be the best they've ever put together with the exception of 2004....  Maybe I should say the best in the past 40 years that I've been watching them, if it makes anybody feel better....again with possibly the exception of 2004.  

So, my official stance is it "may" be the best offense that I have seen in the past 40 years with possibly the exception of 2004.  

I think Graham has been headed in the right direction for the past couple of seasons, if they get the defense together, they will have one of the top programs in the area again..Williams also addressed this in today's BDT,  he and the staff are aware that the defense needs work.  I have faith in these guys and think they will get the defense right, it may take a few weeks or maybe an entire season..but it's good to know that they are trying to fix it.