gate city @ lee

Generalsfan5487

Before all the bashing starts with how Gate city is gonna walk all over Lee, I just want to express how proud this whole county is of those boys. People have not had this much school spirit in almost 20 years. Last week's game was controversial at best. I'm sure everybody has seen the videos and to every man his own. No matter what actually happened it's over and done with now. That should just motivate Lee even more to come out and lay the smack down on "Great city". That being said, any predictions here guys? Be blunt and dont hold back.

Well I would like to say I'm glad to hear that its time to move on though easier said than done I know. I can't imagine how tough its been for all involved and I'm sure the Union team and most fans hate that it went down that way also.

I don't think by no means that Gate City will blow Lee out. Gate City is a really good team and maybe the best here in SWVA. I will be very anxious to see the outcome of this one. Gate City has good speed with OK size up front and are always well prepared and ready to play. They are good all over the field and have one of the best line backers around.

I have not seen Lee play and know little about them but from what I know are a very good team also. If Lee comes inspired and motivated after this last game it could make for the game of the night Friday night.

After watching both games on tape, I would think Lee has an actual size advantage as well as skill players. What I don't want to hear coming from the Lee faithful should they lose, is the cliché', go to excuse "Well last week's game took a lot out of us, they couldn't get up because of the controversy, yada, yada, yada," If Lee plays like they played last week, they'll win by 2 TD's. But often times reputation can lead to intimidation, don't let GC reputation

Before all the bashing starts with how Gate city is gonna walk all over Lee, I just want to express how proud this whole county is of those boys. People have not had this much school spirit in almost 20 years. Last week's game was controversial at best. I'm sure everybody has seen the videos and to every man his own. No matter what actually happened it's over and done with now. That should just motivate Lee even more to come out and lay the smack down on "Great city". That being said, any predictions here guys? Be blunt and dont hold back.

After watching both Union/GC and Lee/Union games on tape, I would think Lee has an actual size advantage as well as skill players. What I don't want to hear coming from the Lee faithful should they lose, is the cliché', go to excuse "Well last week's game took a lot out of us, they couldn't get up because of the controversy, yada, yada, yada," Move on and hope you see them in playoffs!  If Lee plays like they played last week, they'll win by 2 TD's. But often times reputation can lead to intimidation, don't let GC reputation beat you! Like some of the old PV/Appy games, there were times we had better squads than PV but for whatever reason, mentally. we were down by a TD before stepping on the field. My .2 cents only. Good luck to both teams and may it be a safe, injury free game!

Lee has an excellent chance to win Friday.  They match up well with GC. They have good size, good speed, and quite a few good athletes.  Their offense forces the D to defend from boundary to boundary (but they can pound it too), and on defense they tackle well.  That being said, they are playing GC, and until they believe they can beat GC all that other stuff means diddley.  I look for GC to win this game based on discipline, coaching, and tradition...IMO those three things will prove too much for Lee to overcome.  But, a Lee win would be nice.

I've not seen Lee play in person and have seen Gate City play,  but I have seen some of Lee's games on Youtube and they do look good,  so just from what i have seen it looks like Lee can play and maybe even beat GC.

While I do have mucho respect for "Great City",  like Ryan,   I would like to see Lee win this game so it can help the Blues to a better seeding for the playoffs ! ( Richlands still has to do their part though )   But Lee will probably have to play a no turnover game and limit the penalties.  You can't help Gate City as good as they are and still beat them.

But this sounds like it could be a slobber knocker !

Lee is a great team and imo #40 is just as good as any back I have seen in person or on tape in this area. I think it will be a great game but catch or no catch last week they still haven't played a quality team. This will be their first real test. Lee wins a dog fight by 1 or 2 points.

Thanks for the words of encouragement but they are not where they should be at this point in the season. I'm not saying they are terrible, but they play in spurts, can't seem to play hard for 4 quarters. If they ever decide to play hard for 4 quarters they have the talent and potential to be a lot better than they show. Right now and probably from here on out IMO GC and Richlands are the teams I feel have the best chance to make a deep run at it. Good luck to all and hope for injury free week.

sometimes, it takes a spark, for a team to realize, that "they as a team," have to make it happen... LEE HIGH, hope you win this one,...last week, you won, but lost.....because off bad call,,,reminds me way back, in 1973, clintwood vs madison...state championship game in bullitt park.... i was only 13 yrs old then....but that last play, has haunted me for ever....needless to say, madison won 23-22 on the final play, and bad call......after that...everyone knows what clintwood has done in the past....

Gate City by 2 scores.  Haven't seen em this year, but I know that Gate City is still the King of that corner of Virginia as far as I am concerned.  If Gate City can get healthy and stay healthy, they have once again, another quality typical Gate City team that can go deep in the playoffs or perhaps all the way to the big show.  They've done it before on years in which I didn't see it coming like them beating Gretna a while back.  I think Giles is still the team to beat around here and that includes all of SWVA in 1A or 2Aball, but the Gate is still right up there along with an improved Richlands.  As for next year....watch out for the Fort baby (at least in 1A)!!!!

I won't predict who wins, solely on the fact I haven't seen Lee play. I really have to wonder about the ability of Union to throw on everyone so far this year. The comebacks they have had have been miraculous (and then some) and they really had little success doing so against GC, maybe GC was better getting pressure on the QB.

With that said Lee has had a good year so far and should be sporting a perfect record heading into the clash with GC at 5Star this week, I think Lee has nearly always played better against GC than they actually should some years. I think the strength of schedules so far really comes into play in this one.

I like the Devil's chances in this one but it could be a good one and look forward to it.

When Union played us.....pressure on the qb had nothing to do with it because he hardly ever had time to throw the ball. We hit him hard all night and hardly ever did he get to sit in the pocket and throw. The receivers just made great plays in the fourth QUARTER alone. They just have our number and as good as we are playing right now I still think if they played again today it would be the same kind of game.......right down to the last play.

We are a very different team though than the first couple of weeks. Playing with confidence is a huge deal with 15,16,17 and 18 year olds.

Burton (1-5)

Thomas Walker (1-6)

East side (2-5)

Sullivan North (1-7)

Grayson County (1-6)

Union (6-1)

GC never plays well at Lee for whatever reason. I think it'll be close for awhile, but I look for us to pull away late.[/quot

I'm waiting on this game to see how Lee does. There schedule has not been the toughest around and that's not there fault. They can't help how good the teams are this year that they have played. Gate City will surely prove to them how good they are. I just haven't seen them and I know Gate Cities team very well.

If Lee wins this one there will be no doubters for sure. Good luck to both teams and I am very anxious to see how this one turns out!

There schedule has not been the toughest around and that's not there fault. They can't help how good the teams are this year that they have played.

Thats true Razor, when they started scheduling Sullivan North and Grayson Co a few years both were tough teams. JI Burton is WAY down this season. Eastside wasnt bad either.

2 years ago those were all respectable teams.

Can someone direct me to the video that's being viewed from the Union/Lee game? The one provided to WCYB in Bristol, Va is very distorted. The sports anchor said the ball can be seen next to the receiver. But, when viewing that particular video what is being called the ball looks white to me. If you take notice on that video the receivers towel when he went up for the ball his towel was hanging straight down, but as he came down his towel drifted over to his right side as he fell all the way to the ground. With the towel being white it's somewhat convincing that this is possibly the towel, not the ball. When the receiver got up his towel was also laying over his right hip. The defender, #10, did not cheer or celebrate nor did the Lee High fans up in the stands next to the play. With them having a more clear view of the play from that side of the field, yet not cheering or celebrating it's somewhat of a good and possible indication it was their reaction to a completed pass. You can see no celebration from the fans in the stands in the video. Yes, a couple of Lee players on the field, ran to the official signaling incomplete. Maybe trying to influence the call....... Also, one Lee player coming in at the end of the play with a hit on the receiver was maybe trying to knock the ball loose after a possible reception......... With the video I've seen, it's not clear to me. Can someone direct me to the video that's being viewed? Is there a better one than WCYB's? If so, I'd like to see it. If WCYB's is the one everyone is looking at, maybe it's just my phone and PC. Thanks!!! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJtJJ7T8UBQ

pause it at 0:15 , clearly not a towel.

I think what happens is the Union reciever drops the ball, then the 2 Lee players come in and the ball bounces off the one farthest from the camera(#6 or 8, I cant tell for sure) and back into the belly of the Union reciever. Then the other Lee player(#19) dives onto the lose ball. I dont think he was trying to knock the ball lose, it looks to me like he was trying to recover the ball.