Haysi vs Hurley

redtiger

Easy for you to say that it's no excuse, but Honaker did have good talent even off the bench. How can a kid who plays non-stop compete with someone who sits out all defense or offense long, unless that kid who plays non-stop is a pure horse? Seems like a valid excuse to me, but hey that is how it always has and will be when we play you guys. Must be awesome having kids who want to play ball and a somewhat bigger crop. If all the guys at Hurley who should play would come out we would probably at least have enough to rest some on special teams. No ideal why a high school kid wouldn't want to be part of the football program at their school.

Ive never figured that one out myself

Sometimes there are just other things involved. I know when I started middle school I still played football and I quit playing to focus on music and my dream of being in the band. That's obviously not the case at Hurly, but sometimes there's other legit reasons.

Easy for you to say that it's no excuse, but Honaker did have good talent even off the bench. How can a kid who plays non-stop compete with someone who sits out all defense or offense long, unless that kid who plays non-stop is a pure horse? Seems like a valid excuse to me, but hey that is how it always has and will be when we play you guys. Must be awesome having kids who want to play ball and a somewhat bigger crop. If all the guys at Hurley who should play would come out we would probably at least have enough to rest some on special teams. No ideal why a high school kid wouldn't want to be part of the football program at their school.

Because Hurley only has 188 kids in the school is the reason.....28 players for that amount of kids is pretty good!!!!

Yeah sometimes other things are the reasons, but a lot of it today is sorriness or lack of give a crap. They say they are to busy or don't have time, but run up and down the roads after school on dirt bikes and are at the games on Friday nights lol. Hurley is small and I think it is great that we get as many as we do.

I agree with everything you said but you have got to stop using it as a crutch. When I read the paper I never saw where tester said well honaker was running fresh legs in and out in the second half and we couldn't keep up no he said he made to many mistakes and turned the ball over that's what lost the game. You said it yourself it's always been like this and will continue to be this way. OK then get in the weight room year around and get stronger than these teams that are bigger than you. There running fresh legs in and out? Be better conditioned than they are because it's possible to be in good enough condition to play 4 quarters at a high level and keep up.

Keep working hard and winning games. Winning seasons and playoff runs build pride in your players, coaches, and community....which in turn will make more kids want to be a part of something big...especially the ones that are on the fence between playing and not playing...it would be nice to have a new rivalry for us in the district now that Haysi is leaving us!

Well when I played I was usually on everything, besides maybe kickoff or kickoff return and I have to say it was rough; but as the season goes you lose some weight and build the stamina required to be able to play hard without much fatigue. I didn't use it as a crutch as a player and I'm sure the coaches aren't going to use it as an excuse ever, though it is a valid one and most definitely is a really big factor overall when playing a school with depth. Greg Tester and his staff are awesome guys and great coaches to play for. They show a lot of interest in you and really try to build up your confidence all season long and push you in the weight room during offseason. Trust me they run the tails off those guys each week to try to build up endurance that will last the entire stretch, but sometimes it still isn't enough I admit. I think given the numbers we have to offer they do an amazing job with what they have. Maybe we can get some redemption this week and shock the district and SWVA by knocking the Tigers off. I know their an amazing team with a legendary coaching staff. My prediction is Hurley 20 Haysi 14.

Numbers mean a lot. A small school team that works hard can beat a big school team that doesn't(small schools have been beating Abingdon for years with that approach and Giles has been beating larger schools with that approach) but when a small school faces a larger school who works just as hard then numbers make a HUGE difference. No one works harder than Honaker, I have no insight into their off season program but if you watch them play its obvious. Hurley puts in the work too, ive never seen a Hurley team under Tester look winded or tired in the 2nd half but ith low #s there is only so much you can do.

Very well said and very true. About Honaker, they seem to always have such horsepower on the field and even when rotating some in and out, the ones off the bench are just as strong. More on Hurley, Coach Tester and staff push the guys hard each week in the conditioning aspect of things, because they know they have to given low numbers. One nice thing about being small though is that you will see plenty of action come Friday night. Tiger it sure is a beautiful thing when a small team can kick the crud out of one with the sidelines loaded! I'm sure you have saw Haysi behead some giants.

I recall Haysi playing Sullivan North about 5 years ago or so. Not sure what "A" that team is in Tennessee, but they were an awesome team with big guys and big depth if I recall right. I do believe Haysi pulled out a win that Saturday, am I right? I believe they had the Flemming and Whitt then to only name a few key players.

Haysi played them twice, won one and lost one. The year SN was really good they beat Haysi. I think SN is/was a 2 or 3 A, im thinking 3A. Haysi had SN beat in the game at Haysi until SN went to the Stack-I and Haysi wasnt prepared for that and couldnt stop it.

For Haysi over the years results have been mixed.

The games against Lee didnt go well for Haysi, won in 05, lost in 06 07 and 08. Lee was BIG up front in 06 and won running the veer, they played a power-I with 2 BIG FBs on 07 and 08, just outsized Haysi in those wins.

Haysi played JJ Kelly for a few years and did really well against them. 4 games with 4 Tiger wins.

Haysis vs big schools really came in the playoffs. PV and Giles are good examples. Giles won both playoff contests(1 close, 1 not). Haysi vs PV was historically a good matchup of big vs small. PV was always considerably larger than Haysi (550ish to 325ish) but Haysi pulled out 3-4 wins vs the Vikings. 

In recent times Haysi vs Grundy has been an example. Grundy is considerably larger than Haysi but my Tigers have put it on the Golden Wave quite a few times. I remember the first time Haysi/Grundy started playing again, we all thought the Grundy game was gonna be a tough one and maybe a loss but Haysi blew them off the field.

The year Sullivan North played at Haysi, it was on a Saturday and they had played a game two days before against either Happy Valley or Unicoi County I believe.  It was the only way they could work around their dates to get 10 games in apparently.

I remember there was something going on that forced the game to Saturday. Haysi had to do that a few years ago. I cant remember exactly but I think they played 3 games in 9 days. Maybe it was Friday, Tuesday and Saturday or something crazy like that.

According to Max preps SN played Happy Valley on Thursday and Haysi on Sat. This was in Oct. of 2009. The more I think about it, it seems like SN had booked two games for the same day and had to split them up.