Question for you bracket gurus

LegendatLegion

I think that it has a lot to do with the almighty dollar! if there was only 8 teams from each east/west make it, which is what I think it should be. ( even though we wouldn't have made it this year at 9th seed.) there would be 15 games, with 16 from each there's 31 games. Like Giles and Lee game it was packed $7 a ticket x 5-6,000 people not to mention half and half which was $1,000 and consessions, just tickets alone for that 1 game was atleast $35,000......  If all games could bring just that with 31 playoff games it would bring well over 1 millon into Va schools.

I agree to some degree with you on the 16 being too many but ask Waynesboro what they feel about it .. they beat #1Hidden Valley and then knocked off Broadway this weekend ... a 16 moving to round 3 ...

My reaction to that argument would be that if they are that good, they need to prove it all year.  Honestly, I wouldn't care if a maximum of only one a representative from each district made the playoffs in each classification.  Going by your logic, if the Oakland Raiders win out, you would have them in the AFC playoffs..or the Arkansas Razorbacks have won two games in a row, so they need to play for a championship.  Anyone knows that's not true.  Even a blind squirrel will find a nut every once in a while. IMO, the number of teams that make the playoffs under the VHSL system cheapens the accomplishment.  The MINORITY of teams should get in...not the MAJORITY.  At the present time, it's easier to name the teams that got left out than the ones that got in! In the past, getting to the playoffs 10 years in a row would be an accomplishment...now days, any program worth it's salt should get in EVERY year.

Im all for cutting it down to 8 from each side. Those 9-16 teams pull the occasional upset but are generally out by the 3rd round.

The playoffs should be a reward for earning the right all season. My chance has changed a little on all of this

I agree with cityofRaven.  Use 12 teams and let the top 4 have a bye (at least in the smaller Divisions of A and AA).  I haven't seen the stats but I don't think there have been many (if any) 13 or below winners in the A or AA playoffs.

- - Round 3 - Thanksgiving weekend - -
   2A West
#6 Richlands (9-3) @ #2 Gate City (10-2)
#4 Glenvar (11-1) @ #1 Giles (12-0)

2A East

#9 King William (10-2) @ #5 Nottoway (10-2)
#6 Brunswick (9-3) @ #2 Wilson Memorial (11-1)

So, what if Richlands and Giles win in the West and Brunswick and King William win in the East?

There would be a 1 and 6 seed in the West and a 6 and 9 seed in the East.

I would assume #1 Giles would host #9 King William, but who would host the game between #6 Richlands and #6 Brunswick?

- - Round 3 - Thanksgiving weekend - -

So, what if Richlands and Giles win in the West and Brunswick and King William win in the East?

There would be a 1 and 6 seed in the West and a 6 and 9 seed in the East.

I would assume #1 Giles would host #9 King William, but who would host the game between #6 Richlands and #6 Brunswick?

Richlands would be heading to Brunswick. It doesn't matter what they are seeded. Just that the lowest from the West travels to the highest from the East.