Frank Beamer...

GMan

Could the end be near???  Significant health issues may hasten retirement...

p.s. say a super Prayer for Frank! Not getting or hearing anything good here folks, as methinks TV coverage will finally out some of this tomorrow afternoon; I’ma just gonna leave those words to them, as I told my peeps they have my oath of silence on this matter because they do.  As I’ve been hearing some very very scary words regarding poor Frank’s throat.

Is this Frank’s last game? It could be. However, methinks the hard ass old-school trench fighter -that is Frank Beamer- fights through, stays the course, and does not go gently into this bad night.

Seems like odd timing to me.   If health was a known issue, why sign Foster to an extension unless you plan on him taking over.  But that doesn't seem like a Whit Babcock move to me, but neither does doing a useless extension when I new HC may want to bring his own DC with him even though Foster has been very successful, leaving Tech on the hook for Fosters salary.

Shane being the next HC is the only scenario that makes sense with Foster being a guarantee as the long term DC.  Most coaches coming in would keep him I think but its hard to just guarantee.  Shane is the one way it makes sense.

Shane being the next HC is the only scenario that makes sense with Foster being a guarantee as the long term DC.  Most coaches coming in would keep him I think but its hard to just guarantee.  Shane is the one way it makes sense.

There's another way...but I'll explain that one after things work themselves out...

Foster has it made in Blacksburg and it has nothing to do with football...

I thought I was a hater, but you make me look like a beginner.  I haven't seen you post ONE positive thing about ANYBODY in years, you must be going through some tough times in life...I almost feel sorry for you...

• 6 months later...

Listened to the first actually interview I've heard with Frank since before the surgery and he sounds bad as far as his voice goes.

The interview was on the Marty & McGee PodCast. If you guys have iPhones you can look up the podcast and listen and see what you think.

Here’s the list of Virginia Tech assistants, their salaries, and the end of the Letters of Appointment…

Bud Foster: $600,000 (12/31/2019)
Scot Loeffler: $424,000 (6/30/2016)
Bryan Stinespring: $337,080 (6/30/2016)
Charley Wiles: $308,990 (6/30/2016)
Stacy Searels: $280,900 (6/30/2016)
Torrian Gray: $275,600 (6/30/2016)
Shane Beamer: $252,810 (6/30/2016)
Cornell Brown: $252,810 (6/30/2016)
Zohn Burden: $185,000 (6/30/2016)

In the past, Virginia Tech assistants have generally been signed to two-year agreements. 

However, the last three signings have been one-year agreements.

1) Loeffler’s original Letter of Appointment ended on June 30, 2015.  In other words, he was signed for the 2013 and 2014 seasons.  It was extended by one year before last season, through June 30, 2016.  That takes him through the 2015 season.

2) When Zohn Burden was hired, he was signed to an agreement that would last through June 30, 2016.  In other words, the 2015 football season.

3) Torrian Gray’s deal was set to expire at the end of June 2015, but it was extended by one year through June 30, 2016. Again, the 2015 football season.

Recruiting for the 2016 season has been not much better than terrible, especially in VA.  VT will likely not sign a single player in the Top 10 out of VA...hasn't happened since 1995. 

Makes me think not much effort has been given to recruiting, especially in VA, beyond the 2015 season...

Some things add up:  Beamer's health issues, assistants only signed through the 2015 season, recruiting by these coaches amounts to very little beyond this year...

Here’s the list of Virginia Tech assistants, their salaries, and the end of the Letters of Appointment…

Bud Foster: $600,000 (12/31/2019)

Scot Loeffler: $424,000 (6/30/2016)

Bryan Stinespring: $337,080 (6/30/2016)

Charley Wiles: $308,990 (6/30/2016)

Stacy Searels: $280,900 (6/30/2016)

Torrian Gray: $275,600 (6/30/2016)

Shane Beamer: $252,810 (6/30/2016)

Cornell Brown: $252,810 (6/30/2016)

Zohn Burden: $185,000 (6/30/2016)

In the past, Virginia Tech assistants have generally been signed to two-year agreements.

However, the last three signings have been one-year agreements.

1) Loeffler’s original Letter of Appointment ended on June 30, 2015. In other words, he was signed for the 2013 and 2014 seasons. It was extended by one year before last season, through June 30, 2016. That takes him through the 2015 season.

2) When Zohn Burden was hired, he was signed to an agreement that would last through June 30, 2016. In other words, the 2015 football season.

3) Torrian Gray’s deal was set to expire at the end of June 2015, but it was extended by one year through June 30, 2016. Again, the 2015 football season.

Recruiting for the 2016 season has been not much better than terrible, especially in VA. VT will likely not sign a single player in the Top 10 out of VA...hasn't happened since 1995.

Makes me think not much effort has been given to recruiting, especially in VA, beyond the 2015 season...

Some things add up: Beamer's health issues, assistants only signed through the 2015 season, recruiting by these coaches amounts to very little beyond this year...

Woah........that's crazy.

So let me ask you this, over under on the chance it's Rich Rod to take his place.

Woah........that's crazy.

So let me ask you this, over under on the chance it's Rich Rod to take his place.

Well, Beamer makes over $2.5 million/year.  Rich Rod makes about $1.6 million/year plus a $500,000 penalty for leaving, and is signed through 2018.  To get him after the 2015 season would cost a about $5 million dollars. 

Do I think Whit is willing to pay that?  Yes.  Do I think the deep pockets in the Hokie Club are willing to pay that much?  Maybe. 

But that also depends on the team's performance on the field in 2015 and whether Beamer is "forced out" or leaves on his own (retires).  I know that the lack of recruiting in-state for 2016 has already rubbed some folks the wrong way, especially since FB was almost non-existent in the process due to his throat issues.  The natives are getting restless.

Interestingly, I've heard this guy's name mentioned more and more recently as a potential replacement for FB...

9993746535dd8134517c273e36de6029_400x400

If Jim Weaver was still AD at VT, I'd say that is a 90%+ likelihood due to his relationships with the MAC and WMU, in particular.  VT could get him for a lot less (makes around $400,000/year) than RR.  He's young (34), energetic, a good recruiter, and has an "offensive" mind...things that VT needs like you and I need food.  Going into his third year at WMU, he has taken them from 1-11 in 2013 to 8-4 last season and has the highest rated recruiting class in the MAC for the third year in a row.

Here's how I see it...

FB returning for 2016:  33%

RR becoming HC for 2016:  22%

PJF becoming HC for 2016:  22%

Another HC becoming HC for 2016: 22%

Current VT coach becoming HC for 2016: 1%