1 Billllllion dollars

redtiger

http://www.kentucky.com/2015/02/02/3673874_obama-proposes-1-billion-lifeline.html?rh=1

I really dont know what to think about this, havent made my mind up yet.

Didn't Lyndon Johnson try throwing obscene amounts of money to Appalachia? Seems like there's historical precedent for this. Hint: didn't work that long.

Gotta create jobs. You can do that with money, but it has to sustain.

A billion won't touch the infrastructure issues in Central Appalachia. The remoteness makes it hard to impact those rural counties in E. KY where half of the most distressed in the region are. Big investments are needed, but they won't address the culture of poverty in the region, or any other high poverty region of the world.

You can't build a lot of highways, water plants, fiber optic networks with a billion.

Thats what im thinking. Its a start and its something but I feel that there wont be any more. In the article planting trees on old mine property to rejuvenate the lumber industry was mentioned, thats a joke.

A billion dollars won't help...just another way for Obama to "feed" money to his friends...

"There have been complaints for years about Congress not authorizing enough spending from the fund.

There is $2.48 billion in it now, according to the U.S. Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement.

Most of the unreclaimed mine land is in Appalachia, including Eastern Kentucky.

The Kentucky Division of Abandoned Mine Lands lists $445 million worth of unfunded projects."

If distributing money already collected and earmarked is "feeding friends", then call me Audrey III.   FEED ME !!!

----------

According to VDoT, the 50 mile CFX cost is $5.1 billion using traditional construction methods; $2.8 billion using coal synergy, so, yeah, 1 billion isn't enough for the region, but it's better tnam no billion.

"There have been complaints for years about Congress not authorizing enough spending from the fund.

There is $2.48 billion in it now, according to the U.S. Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement.

Most of the unreclaimed mine land is in Appalachia, including Eastern Kentucky.

The Kentucky Division of Abandoned Mine Lands lists $445 million worth of unfunded projects."

If distributing money already collected and earmarked is "feeding friends", then call me Audrey III.   FEED ME !!!

----------

According to VDoT, the 50 mile CFX cost is $5.1 billion using traditional construction methods; $2.8 billion using coal synergy, so, yeah, 1 billion isn't enough for the region, but it's better tnam no billion.

Barry O will send it to his "buddies" who he'll put in charge of these "projects"...most of that money will go in their pockets with little going to actually help/do anything...