Top Players in SWVA History

hhstigers7327

You have to include the Jones brothers. Thomas Jones had quite the stats in the NFL. You can't ignore Heath Miller's accomplishments. Justin Hamilton was good too. Ahmad Bradshaw can't be left out. 

Graves was NASTY. Would have loved to seen what he could of done at a big school.

If Graves had kept his nose (and lungs) clean, barring catastrophic injury, there's not one shred of doubt in my mind that he would've ended up in the NFL.  None.  He had high-major measurables and high-major performance from the second his junior year started.  You can't teach 6'3'', 215 pounds.  Though Bradshaw had elite quickness and shiftiness, Graves was right there too, and was probably the more complete prospect.

A few not mentioned out this way:  Randy Jenkins, played at the old Pennington high school, went on to Kentucky and then played for Dallas in the NFL, was a quarterback and punter.  Todd Kirk, also from Pennington, had a successful career at Tennessee.  Mikey Hughes, lineman from Lee High, was an All-American at Emory & Henry.

Mike Hughes from Lee was a STUD!!!!!!  Would have went D-1 if he were 2-3 inches taller.  However, he was good enough to compete at that level.

• 2 weeks later...

Edd "The Stonega Stallion" Clark from Appalachia High School. Played in the late 60's. The best of all time hands down. He never played complete games other than against Gate City. Most games he only played a half, maybe 3qtrs. Hard telling what his stats would have been.

He was Thomas and Julius Jones' uncle.

Thomas was or still is in top 25 of the NFL's all time leading rusher category. Not bad for a SwVa boy and considering the total number of RB's to come through the league. There's been alot.

Anyway Edd was the best.

Eddie Hall...Graham

I love this pick.  Eddie Hall and Bruce Smith entered Virginia Tech the same year.... Hall had 13 tackles in the spring game and all of the buzz was about Eddie Hall, then he injured his neck and never played again..... Bruce Smith....well, we all know his story.

I once saw Eddie Hall run for a 90 yard TD against Bluefield, Eddie wasn't the fastest guy, he literally threw 3 or 4 guys off of him during his trip down the field.  Guy was a "hitman" at linebacker on defense....in fact "hitman" was his nickname.  

Eddie Hall is my favorite Graham player of all time.

He was truly a man amongst boys.  

His brother Terry would knock the gravy out of you too, he was 3 or 4 years older.

If Graves had kept his nose (and lungs) clean, barring catastrophic injury, there's not one shred of doubt in my mind that he would've ended up in the NFL.  None.  He had high-major measurables and high-major performance from the second his junior year started.  You can't teach 6'3'', 215 pounds.  Though Bradshaw had elite quickness and shiftiness, Graves was right there too, and was probably the more complete prospect.

I recall Graves running up and down the field on Bluefield his Junior or Senior year....racked up over 200 yards....Graham turned the ball over inside of Bluefield's 10 yard line on 5 different occasions and somehow lost that game... I think it was 10-6 or something like that.

Eddie Hall could shave before coming to school, have a 5 o'clock shadow by 1st period, and a full beard by the time he suited up for practice at 3:30.

He and Jake Houseright were the only two players I've seen in high school who could dominate a game on both sides of the ball.

Both were men among boys.

As a Tornado fan I can also remember a player we had who was one of the best in the area for the seasons of 93 to 95 I believe,  although I could be wrong on the seasons..........Jeremy McCommons. 

But I can remember how good he was as a RB,  but in my opinion was a better LB.  Could cover from sideline to sideline and could flat out hit ! Just a really good athlete !  Went to James Madison I think.

Awesome You are my new hero!!

When I was a youngster, my oldest brother was good friends with Eddies older brother and I spent some time with his family.  His dad was strong as an ox, too.  Good people, I miss those days.. Takes me back to simpler times.  Eddie and his brother Terry are better people than they were football players, and that's saying  lot.

• 7 years later...

The fact more people don’t mention Mike Compton is amazing.  He won the Rimington trophy at WVU, blocked for Barry Sanders during his 2000 yard season and then won a couple of Super Bowls blocking for Tom Brady.  If Meadows has half of that success Graham fans will talk about him for generations. 😂

28 minutes ago, G men fan said:

Grahams JEREMY GIBSON. He was one of the best till Gate City cheaap shot to his legs and ended his carrer. He had them beat his last game took a cheater to for them to win.  He could have went far

Well, now we know who you are. 😂

On 7/15/2015 at 9:17 PM, GMan said:

Eddie Hall could shave before coming to school, have a 5 o'clock shadow by 1st period, and a full beard by the time he suited up for practice at 3:30.

He and Jake Houseright were the only two players I've seen in high school who could dominate a game on both sides of the ball.

I rode the bus with Eddie and this was true....even in Junior High School.

My neighbor was the football coach at Galax throughout the 1960's and 1970's. He is now in his 90's and as spry and feisty as you could imagine. He is always telling me stories about Tim Beamer. Beamer played college football at Johnson C. Smith before transferring to the University of Illinois. He was drafted in the 5th round by the Buffalo Bills, where he was a DB.

It should also be pointed out, Bobby Dodd was born and raised in Galax. His family moved to Kingsport, TN when Dodd was 13. 

On 7/15/2015 at 9:17 PM, GMan said:

Jake was the best all round player I ever saw, I've seen run for 250 yards in a game and have 25 tackles! I enjoyed watching Thomas Jones run (glide) it was pure magic. The best player I ever saw in East Tennessee was James Stewart from Morristown West! 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

My neighbor was the football coach at Galax throughout the 1960's and 1970's. He is now in his 90's and as spry and feisty as you could imagine. He is always telling me stories about Tim Beamer. Beamer played college football at Johnson C. Smith before transferring to the University of Illinois. He was drafted in the 5th round by the Buffalo Bills, where he was a DB.

It should also be pointed out, Bobby Dodd was born and raised in Galax. His family moved to Kingsport, TN when Dodd was 13. 

Bobby Dodd? Wow. Never knew that. Pretty cool.