8th Grade Playing Varsity Football

Bulldog 82

Pretty sure that an 8th grader playing on varsity during his 8th grade year will not be eligible during his 12th grade year.

We had a guy in my class at Northwood that did this.  He had been held back a couple of times and was to old to play 8th grade ball and was moved up to high school, and our Jr. year he was classified as a Sr. and was not eligible to play our Sr. year.

They may have been showed on the Varsity roster, but may only be playing on the J.V. team. Which will still allow him his four years of varsity play!

I've noticed this before when seeing schools that have 6th through 12th grade in the high schools!

Sect. 3: Semester Rule A student is eligible for competition, whether or not he/she competes in interscholastic athletics, for no more than eight (8) consecutive semesters beyond the eighth grade; the eight consecutive semester rule begins upon the initial enrollment date in ninth grade. 

Taken directly from the NFHS rule book.

Sect. 3: Semester Rule A student is eligible for competition, whether or not he/she competes in interscholastic athletics, for no more than eight (8) consecutive semesters beyond the eighth grade; the eight consecutive semester rule begins upon the initial enrollment date in ninth grade. 

Taken directly from the NFHS rule book.

I read this as the player would not be able to play if he is still in 8th grade regardless of his age

I read this as the player would not be able to play if he is still in 8th grade regardless of his age

I don't know if the rules were the same then 24 years ago as they are now.  The person I was talking about wasn't eligible to play 8th grade because he was too old and he was going to be too old to play our Senior year also.  So the school moved him up to the high school level.  He played JV but he dressed on Friday nights with the varisity, I can't remember for sure but I would say he got to play some on varisity as well (only had 26 kids on the whole team).

Bulldog 82.....I think I know who you are referring to because I saw it too.  However those kids listed as 8th graders were just listed incorrectly.  They're 9th graders. 

Check back on the website today, it has been corrected.