Future of VT game

TornadoCat

Why would VHS drop THS?  This is one of the oldest games played in southern high school football.  The only change I would make is to move it back to the last game of the regular season.  V-T week consists of many great activities (bonfires, snake dances; pep rallies, etc).  Both sides of Bristol get involved.  It is a community thing. It is not just about the game.  If you do not get it, I cannot help you. 

Playing THS in football may not do VHS any good on the scoreboard but playing a strong team is definitely not a bad thing for the Bearcats. Maybe you would replace THS with who -- some cream puff just to get a win?  Playing inferior competition is not a program builder. 

Yeah, THS has much larger enrollment but VHS has a winning record against them in baseball; is very respectable in basketball and most all other sports.  Not that it should matter (but it does), there is no way to replace the revenue from that game.  Give the proceeds to charity?  Have you lost your facilities?  I do not know about THS but VHS needs that money for the sports program!

Doing away with the V-T game is such a terrible idea that I cannot really believe that I am even responding to such a silly idea!

I would love it to be the last game of the season but with our conference our non conference games are week 1,2,4,and 6.So V-T games wont be the last game of the year for an while

Could they get a waiver from the TSSAA, or the Conference? 

Plus the last week of the regular season in TN is a week earlier than it is in VA. 

Since Va. doesn't have a scheduling calendar, they could have their bye week at the end,like Richlands & Gate City are doing, if THS could move that Conf. game to a non-Conf. date.

Seems like a bad idea to me... everybody loses, nobody wins.

Tenn. High gets a win, which helps their playoff seeding.

Va. High gets a loss against a good, bigger team, which helps their ratings average

(I don't have time to do a numbers run right now, but a few years ago, in Va., a team would get almost exactly the same points for beating Twin Valley OR for losing to Richlands.)

Why give away probably the biggest gate of the year? You know that schools use football revenue to pay for other sports, right?

And the VHSL gets a third right off the top (the game is for THEIR benefit)

And if it's always a benefit game, that would be in TNs opening week.  THS would either play it as a scrim. then play out the season with no bye week (or have just 9 games & a bye), or count it as game #1, and only get to keep a third of the gate when they host it at the Castle.

Va. High gets a loss against a good, bigger team, which helps their ratings average

(I don't have time to do a numbers run right now, but a few years ago, in Va., a team would get almost exactly the same points for beating Twin Valley OR for losing to Richlands.)

I wish someone could explain that to some down this way.