Abingdon @ Richlands; SWD Title Game

V-Cats

BigO.... i agree that was a tough call and a big play. The official did say face guarding and no doubt he did. I really think he would have caught the ball without him there. I was standing right there at the endzone so we both had a pretty good look at it. I think if the Abingdon defender hadn't got his arm on the face mask they wouldnt have called it . The kid had great coverage its just one of those calls where I wish they would just let the boys play.

That being said there are so many times during the game when we as fans see a call or non calls that makes us upset and we feel it changes the game and in many cases it does. That's why I try to never say anything about the calls on here. I feel like overall it was a well officiated game. That crew has a pretty good reputation. I understand that Abingdon folks would say Razor......you won or you would feel different. That's probably right....lol

The difference in the game was the front seven no doubt about it. We were just way better there. Much bigger, stronger and quicker. Abingdon has a super star QB and some great receivers. Yates is the third best receiver I have seen this season. The DBs played pretty good also. It was just up front that the game was won in my opinion. It was good to see that many people from Abingdon come last night. Great crowd and a very good game. I wish you guys all the best going forward. This game can make you better. It can show you areas you need to get better at and the same for us.

I know I complained about Reed last night but I'm still glad we have him as opposed to Bowles. I just don't get the short kick offs....I mean, I know what he's trying to accomplish by kicking it into a dead area but it hasn't worked once this year. Not once. The kid can kick it to the goal line and oftentimes into the end zone. We gave you guys excellent field position every single kick. Look at starting field position stats....I'd bet you guys averaged starting at your own 40 at least. Our average probably 25. I don't get it. Also, I wasn't joking about our DBs being told to not turn around in pass protection. I'm sure he's afraid it will slow our kids down but when the receiver goes up or stops then hey, turn the freak around and make a play on the ball. Yes, I agree, you guys killed us up front. We lost 4 starters to graduation on our O line and it showed. Coach Mance is a great coach and recruiter! (Relax, I'm kidding....sort of). I didn't see our defender get his hand on the mask but if he did then yes good call. I don't get film anymore Razor so, if you do, please let me know if he for sure did get his hand on the mask. Bigger question....why didn't the ref who was right there call it? He had a perfect view too. Just looked suspicious, and yes, I'm probably saying that because we lost. But either way, a controversial call right before half that took awY massive momentum for AHS going into the half. Being down 21 to being down only 7 going into the half.....only to have that momentum taken away by a controversial call? Yeah, that could have very well made a difference. I still think RHS would have won.....but it would have been closer.

I didn't see our defender get his hand on the mask but if he did then yes good call. I don't get film anymore Razor so, if you do, please let me know if he for sure did get his hand on the mask. Bigger question....why didn't the ref who was right there call it? .

Let me explain this again. Face guarding is not grabbing the face mask. A defensive back, while running with his back to the ball, cannot wave his hands back and forth trying to obstruct the receivers vision. There was nothing controversial about that call .......the defensive back clearly did that.....and never made a play on the ball.

Yates is a really good receiver,  I hope he goes on to play on Saturdays because he has the size speed and talent to do so,  I don't know what level,  but he can play on Saturdays and of course Sturgill is a beast as a QB,  but our front 7 had him moving around in the pocket more then he probably has all season,  but the kid is a stud !

I shouldn't make a comment about the recruit remark because I know,  you said " Relax, I'm kidding....sort of " but you and we know that really........your not kidding,  but hey,  let's face facts,  as long as we keep getting kids that want to come here to play,  we are going to hear that so the best thing for us Blues fans to do is to just ignore those kind of remarks and let people say whatever.  The more we argue about it the louder they will get.  This is the last time i will make any kind of statement about it myself. 

I thought the Blues played a great game for the most part,  I would like to see us cut down on the penalties a little more,  and also I wish we would have run the ball after the interception,  and I would like to see Atkins maybe not go for the interception as much and just play better strait up coverage.  I think that was a little of his issue with getting burned on the long passes last night.  He would try to cut in from of Yates,  and Yates is too big with great hands and Sturgill is too good of a QB for that to work.  But I still love Atkins play and will take him most times in a one on one situation.

Our O line was fantastic last night,  especially in the 2nd half and i love the way Blankenship runs the ball,  he just never quits,  and runs hard and keeps those legs moving.  He never gives up on a play !  I also don't think Scotty Ball gets enough credit,  that kid is an absolute player and makes the easy catch and the tough catch........just a great athlete !  And of course Howie,  Howie is just a beast and can score in so many ways,  he's come a long way since the 1st 2 games.

Congrats to the Blues on a statement type of game and good luck to Abingdon the rest of the season,  I will be pulling for you guys and hope you make a run in the AAA playoffs !

Parsons, let me say this..... I was referring to what razor said......not what you or anyone else said. There's no way in the world you could have seen our DB wave his hands in front of your WR face unless you were on the field. Were you on the field? Were you the ref that threw the flag? It is very possible our DB touched or grabbed the WR facemask and that would be easy to see. Did I see that? No. But razor said he did. So I asked him about it. I didn't ask you to clarify something you think you saw. Take your explanation and cram it up your ass. Peace out.

I was looking down field from the other end zone side.  I couldn't figure it out until explained here. Don't know that he touched but very close to, but put hand in front of eyes and wasn't looking for the ball.  Didn't the one ref have the receiver between him and the defender, bad view?

Stats from Bristol Herald Courier on game:

RIC-Collins 20 pass from Asbury (Barrett kick)

RIC-Ball 34 pass from Asbury (Barrett kick)

RIC-Howie 9 pass from Asbury (Barrett kick)

AHS-Sturgill 1 run (Dick kick)

AHS-Sturgill 1 run (Dick kick)

RIC-Atkinson 10 pass from Asbury (kick failed)

RIC-Blankenship 6 run (Barrett kick)

AHS-D. Yates 45 pass from Asbury (Barrett kick)

RIC-Howie 48 pass from Asbury (Barrett kick)

RIC-Blankenship 34 run (Barrett kick)

RIC-Blankenship 97 run (Ball pass from Asbury)

TEAM STATS

First Downs:  AHS 19, RIC 26

Rushes-Yards:  AHS 17-12, RIC 32-360

Passing Yards:  AHS 272, RIC 208

Comp.-Att.-Int:  AHS 28-45-1, RIC 14-21-1

Fumbles-Lost:  AHS 0-0, RIC 2-2

Penalties-Yards:  AHS 5-60, RIC 10-95

Punts-Average: AHS 6-40, RIC 1-28

When Coach Mance went for 2 point conversion after Blankenship's 97 yd TD run was great coaching.  He wanted the 35 point spread to get the running clock for the 4th qtr.  It showed the respect he had for the Falcons offense and the running clock is the same as having your defense on the field.

I just watched the film and from a couple of different views. The on field view at the goal post was best. He definitely did not grab or touch his facemask with his hands. His left arm looks like it is. Very hard for the official to make that. I wish it would have been a no call. The official standing right there does not call it. He had a very good view . The official behind the players makes the call

Face guarding without contact is a penalty at the high school level only. Rule 7-5-10-b, page 62 of the National Federation of State High School Associations reads:  â€œAny player who hinders an opponent’s vision without making an attempt to catch, intercept or bat the ball, even though no contact was made … is forward pass interference.â€

In this case, for high school games and youth leagues that use NFHS rules, a defender must make a play on the ball – or at least be looking back at the ball – and not just throw his hands up and attempt to get in the way.

At the college level, the rule requires contact. “Contact†is specifically mentioned in all descriptions of pass interference in Rule 7 of the NCAA manual.

This comes into play for an official on a judgment call. If the defender is making a play on the ball, some incidental contact is typically allowed. If the defender doesn’t look back, makes himself an obstacle and makes contact with the receiver, a flag can be thrown (an easy call most of the time). If the defender does not make contact, however, no flag.

In the NFL, by rule, face guarding is allowed but like at the college level that changes if contact is made.

I don't have a dog in the fight. I thought some may appreciate the exact face guarding rule since it differs greatly from what we see on television on Saturdays and Sundays.

. I was talking about BigO not you, sorry!

Parsons, let me say this..... I was referring to what razor said......not what you or anyone else said. There's no way in the world you could have seen our DB wave his hands in front of your WR face unless you were on the field. Were you on the field? Were you the ref that threw the flag? It is very possible our DB touched or grabbed the WR facemask and that would be easy to see. Did I see that? No. But razor said he did. So I asked him about it. I didn't ask you to clarify something you think you saw. Take your explanation and cram it up your ass. Peace out.

I'm not blind and it doesn't take an eagle's vision to see when a defensive back lifts his arm and he's not playing the ball. If YOU have to stand within 10 yards in order to see the game, perhaps you should see an optometrist.

For the umpteenth time, I have never said that referees cost us this game. Never. I said they affected the game but I don't think the outcome would have been different. However, MANY of you Richlands people have said numerous times that the fact AHS beat you last year was because of the fact you were missing players. To me, that's the same as blaming refs, weather, whatever. Please stop claiming that I saud this or that.....read the posts and quote where I said "refs cost us this game"....you won't find it. You guys are just looking for something that's not there. Take my compliments and quit whining. Geez.

A defender does not have to literally be waving his arms back and forth to get the call. If he's trying to obstruct the vision by raising one or both arms...... that qualifies as face guarding.

BigO, perhaps you should send private messages when you're only directing your question to one person on a PUBLIC forum. Especially when you keep making a big deal out of nothing....

Parsons, read Razors post above. All of it....not just the first few sentences. Razor, whom I respect greatly for his objective view, said he thinks it should have been a no call. Even if it had not been called the outcome of the game would not have been different. It might have been closer, but not different. By the way, I have bionic eyesight. Greater than an Eagles. I can even see what you are doing now....and you need to stop....that will cause you to go blind.

Yates is a really good receiver, I hope he goes on to play on Saturdays because he has the size speed and talent to do so, I don't know what level, but he can play on Saturdays and of course Sturgill is a beast as a QB, but our front 7 had him moving around in the pocket more then he probably has all season, but the kid is a stud !

I shouldn't make a comment about the recruit remark because I know, you said " Relax, I'm kidding....sort of " but you and we know that really........your not kidding, but hey, let's face facts, as long as we keep getting kids that want to come here to play, we are going to hear that so the best thing for us Blues fans to do is to just ignore those kind of remarks and let people say whatever. The more we argue about it the louder they will get. This is the last time i will make any kind of statement about it myself.

I thought the Blues played a great game for the most part, I would like to see us cut down on the penalties a little more, and also I wish we would have run the ball after the interception, and I would like to see Atkins maybe not go for the interception as much and just play better strait up coverage. I think that was a little of his issue with getting burned on the long passes last night. He would try to cut in from of Yates, and Yates is too big with great hands and Sturgill is too good of a QB for that to work. But I still love Atkins play and will take him most times in a one on one situation.

Our O line was fantastic last night, especially in the 2nd half and i love the way Blankenship runs the ball, he just never quits, and runs hard and keeps those legs moving. He never gives up on a play ! I also don't think Scotty Ball gets enough credit, that kid is an absolute player and makes the easy catch and the tough catch........just a great athlete ! And of course Howie, Howie is just a beast and can score in so many ways, he's come a long way since the 1st 2 games.

Congrats to the Blues on a statement type of game and good luck to Abingdon the rest of the season, I will be pulling for you guys and hope you make a run in the AAA playoffs !

I agree about Atkinson. I think he has the potential to be a good DB. Has good speed and good hands. He just gets out of position at times trying to make the big play. I say continue to put him on the best receiver and let him learn.

I can even see what you are doing now....and you need to stop....that will cause you to go blind.

That's just a old wives' tale or I would have gone blind long ago.

As for Razor, I'm not sure he was investigating the right penalty. He actually says the he thinks the arm, not the hand, touches the facemask. His statement indicates the arm was raised.

Ryan. Good grief!! You all have a GREAT football team. We will have to hook up over this avatar thing.

Right now I think I should have a 15 second clip of one of my all time favorite movies. Kevin Bacon in Animal House.

Getting paddled. "Yes sir may I have another?"

Good luck the rest of the season. Hope #11 is OK