Power Points?

wave316

I see GC getting in also with a win over Central.. I'm afraid Lee and Ridgeview may be a "bubble" team for lack of better word. Lee still has a tough Central team and Va High to go and if I remember right Ridgeview has Grundy and Honaker.

I think Lee and Ridgeview and Grundy are bubble teams. Ridgeview needs to win out. Lee will be in tough games with Central Wise and Va High. Gate City can get lots of points with a win over Central.. Graham gets in in my opinion. So does Martinsville.

I have not seen Grundy since the preseason jamboree so I can't speak to them, and I know the Ridgeview team I saw at Union wasn't a good indication so that one could be very pivotal for those last few teams in.

Grundy needs to win out and beat an improved Ridgeview. Gretna may not make it..They play Dan River and Altivista...they should beat Nelson County.

Updated VHSL Point Ratings for Oct. 19, 2015  for 3A, 2A and 1A West...(Also, includes teams presently on bubble...and on outside looking in ...)

Updated #VHSL #HCFH ratings.

http://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/updated-vhsl-point-ratings/article_fcfe3f88-76a2-11e5-8ade-6fa2066091d7.html â€¦

great state

I believe Ridgeview and Grundy can lose the last week and still get in depending on how some things go.  Grayson County is another probable bubble team, they need to beat Fort Chiswell (should do so) and Narrows.  Watch out for a team like Randolph-Henry that could sneak in there too (if they can beat Prince Edward and Nottoway at least).  Gretna probably needs to beat either Dan River or Altavista then get the win over Nelson for a good shot.  Va High probably needs to beat Lee.  The battle for 8th could be tight too.

I believe Ridgeview and Grundy can lose the last week and still get in depending on how some things go.  Grayson County is another probable bubble team, they need to beat Fort Chiswell (should do so) and Narrows.  Watch out for a team like Randolph-Henry that could sneak in there too.  Gretna probably needs to beat either Dan River or Altavista then get the win over Nelson for a good shot.  Va High probably needs to beat Lee.

Gretna will have a hard road with Dan River and Altivista. And I give Va High the edge over Lee. Graham should make it in with their remaining schedule.

I think the system is just fine, Abingdons overall soft schedule is whats hurting them. If more emphysis was put on winning Abingdon would schedule every Hogo team except GW. Not bashing Abingdon, just stating facts.

If Ridgeview wins out theyre in, lose a game and its iffy. Win out and maybe get a good first round matchup, lose and if they get in they will face a top flight team. Personally I want to see Central again

The soft schedule can't be helped due to travel/budget restrictions. 2 teams above them have lost 2 games. I can understand some teams with 1 loss......but 2 losses? Doesn't seem right. Like I said before, AHS had 2 losses last year and barely missed a home playoff game. They may go undefeated this year and still not get a home playoff game. System sucks.

The bye week does not necessarily  change a teams position.  It is the rider points they get, while on a bye, from teams they have played that may slightly effect their points average.  The total points are divided by the number of games played at a particular time.  Teams are not "jumped" at the end of the season just because they are on a bye.

I believe Ridgeview and Grundy can lose the last week and still get in depending on how some things go. Grayson County is another probable bubble team, they need to beat Fort Chiswell (should do so) and Narrows. Watch out for a team like Randolph-Henry that could sneak in there too (if they can beat Prince Edward and Nottoway at least). Gretna probably needs to beat either Dan River or Altavista then get the win over Nelson for a good shot. Va High probably needs to beat Lee. The battle for 8th could be tight too.

If the playoffs started today .....#4 Richlands would host #13 Lee. Then the winner would play the winner of #5 Buckingham vs. #12 Martinsville.

But like has been stated....everybody past 5 or 6 is really going to change a lot.

If Richlands stays at #4 they will host #13

The winner of #4 vs. #13 plays winner of #5 vs.#12

Abingdon attempted to beef up its' schedule this year by dropping Volunteer, Happy Valley and Chilhowie.  The Falcons picked up B'Burg, C'Burg and Graham.  Normally those 3 new teams are at least somewhat respectable as is Gate City who has been on the schedule this year.  Despite the efforts to improve the schedule, those teams along with others on the schedule just aren't having good years in the win column.

There is no doubt that geography hurts Abingdon in scheduling equal to or higher enrollment schools.  John Battle does not help Abingdon from a ratings standpoint but the gate for this game and Marion is usually good to very good.  The school administrators don't have the luxury of dropping schools who bring many fans to the game.  

Almost every other 3A West school has the opportunity to play most of their games against 3A or higher opponents.  All things equal, the close proximity of higher enrollment schools can be a definite advantage in power rankings.  The re-classification probably worked out pretty well for the majority of schools across the state.  Abingdon just happened to be one of the few schools who are truly hampered by geography as it pertains to finding quality opponents of similar enrollment.  However, as it is often said, there is usually someone in worse shape than you if you just take the time to look around.   That school is undoubtedly Franklin County High School who is a 6A school without any comparable schools remotely close to them.

As a Falcon fan, I would love the opportunity to host a home playoff game.  However, there really doesn't appear to be a viable way to produce a schedule that would produce the same power points as almost all of our 3A opponents with similar records.  I suppose Graham could be dropped and Pulaski could potentially be added. Pulaski would have to agree to play Abingdon (and vice versa) and the dates would have to match up on the calendar.  Scheduling can be a very difficult task.

Big O, I am with you on the way you feel about AHS not being able to have much control over their seeding based on the formula.....our school size and distance from other 3, 4 and 5A schools can make our seeding situation difficult and it might be a situation that we have to accept.  As I see it, AHS really only has 2 games a year that could be used to improve our strength.  We have 4 required district games, Battle, Marion and 2 Conference 32 teams that we are going to play.  That leaves 2 games that could be changed.  Gate City has been on our schedule for several years now and they are usually a high quality opponent. 2A or not,  scheduling them makes sense because they have a long history of success.  

Though I don't like our situation, the formula is fair.  I certainly don't want our players, or fans, to think that the power ranking situation is something that is holding us back. At the end of the day, AHS still has an opportunity to take care of things on the field of play....home or away.

Didn't mean to ramble on about the situation but we just need to focus on the things that we can control which is our play on the field.  Thanks to all who have taken the time to read my post.  First post for me but I've been reading this forum for several years and have gotten lots of entertainment from it.

Hope all out there in SWVA football land have a great evening.  Go Falcons and Go EHC!

Well said EHC. I guess I just hate the fact that we don't fully control our own fate. But, as you said, control the controllables and move on. (I say that with a grumbling attitude...).

Part of the problem is Marion and Graham. Not that they aren't solid opponents(neither are great this season and that hurts) but who they play. They both play a lot of 1A schools because of their districts and not necessarily very good 1As. It hurts Abingdon. Imo gotta get those two off the schedule and add some big NET schools.

As far as the travel issues go, that argument is legit. Abingdon is isolated from 3/4A competition but they are traveling almost 80 miles to Graham when Letcher Central KY is also about 80 miles away(I know just because theyre there doesn't mean the schedule will work) and Letcher counts as either a 3 or a 4 A in VA.

redtiger, you must have had one of my conversations with school officials bugged :)

I was told there are 2 factors making NET difficult (not impossible) to schedule.  One issue is that TN schools scheduling contract year(s) are not on the same cycle as Virginia Schools.  The second issue presented was TN re-classifying on a regular basis.  Because of the uncertainty of their (NET) required district and/or conference requirements, they are limited in the amount of out of conference games and have to wait later to determine how many and who they can schedule.

I still believe where there is a will, there is a way.  Either way, this is the system in which we operate.  As I said earlier, there are only a few schools in the state that are faced with the geographical issues that AHS has relating to location of same classification opponents.   It is unlikely that the issues of a few schools will cause the VHSL to change whatever direction they choose to go in determining formats, etc. 

In a way, the power rating format and challenges might be good for AHS players down the road.  Sometimes in life, situations aren't always equitable and out of our control to change.  In those situations, you just have to do the best you can within the parameters of the system and know that you've put forth your best effort.

Hope all players across SWVA play to their ability on Friday night and avoid injury. 

Have a great day everyone!

The easy solution is redrawing district lines to increase the enrollments of Battle and PH(PH in particular given their diminishing enrollment) and drop Abingdon to a AA. 

There is a very good lesson to be learned by the students of Abingdon, sometimes things aren't fair and you have to make the best of it.

Franklin County was mentioned, given their growth in the past 30 years im surprised they haven't built another high school

The easy solution is redrawing district lines to increase the enrollments of Battle and PH(PH in particular given their diminishing enrollment) and drop Abingdon to a AA. 

There is a very good lesson to be learned by the students of Abingdon, sometimes things aren't fair and you have to make the best of it.

Franklin County was mentioned, given their growth in the past 30 years im surprised they haven't built another high school.

Washington County School Board would rather PH and JSB go away than to decrease the boundaries of AHS.