Power Points?

wave316

The easy solution is redrawing district lines to increase the enrollments of Battle and PH(PH in particular given their diminishing enrollment) and drop Abingdon to a AA. 

There is a very good lesson to be learned by the students of Abingdon, sometimes things aren't fair and you have to make the best of it.

Franklin County was mentioned, given their growth in the past 30 years im surprised they haven't built another high school

Franklin County is a microcosm of Virginia as a whole.  The Smith Mount Lake area yields a lot of wealth and power while the rest of the county, especially Rocky Mount, is predominantly poor.  The folks around SML have been pushing for their own high school for a number of years.  They will eventually get one but it will cause a further divide between the haves and the have not's in the area.  

What Ron Williard wants, Ron Williard eventually gets!

Yea but CC has only won like 6 games since 12-13 so wouldn't that lack of winning on their end equal out as playing a really good 2a school?

I haven't dug that deeply into the point system and quite frankly, don't care enough to go to that extent.  I was just offering the fact that Abingdon, while somewhat isolated, has options.  Reduce the boundaries to allow outlying students to attend PH or Battle thus reducing Abingdon's enrollment figures and lowering them into the 2A ranks like myself and others have stated.  Schedule other isolated larger schools such as Carroll County, Tennessee High and other larger Tennessee schools.  Keep playing 2A teams and let the end result be what it is.

Carroll County has been down for a number of years due to Tom Hale who, incidentally, also transformed Fort Chiswell into a doormat.  The man has single-handedly devastated two local football programs who may not be rich in tradition pre-Hale but were nowhere near as pitiful as they are post-Hale.

The problem with Washington County is there are no boundaries enforced. Our high school offers more programs than the smaller schools so every tom, dick, and Polly the piccolo player can come to Abingdon as long as they start there in 9 th grade.

Right now we get a bunch do to better academic programs.

I for one in the future will be recruiting. I mean encouraging athletes to come from those schools here to playLol

The problem for Abingdon in not due entirely to just playing 2A schools. It's due to playing 2A schools with very bad records.

John Battle, Gate City and Lebanon are not providing many points for winning games.

I understand the argument for being lower in the points than teams that have lost 2 games but you need to ask yourself if Abingdon played a similar schedule would they still be undefeated? Could Abingdon beat Salem?

Some could argue that Abingdon is placed higher in the points than they should DUE to their schedule. For instance Abingdon barely squeaked past Blacksburg. Blacksburg plays a typically tough 3A West shedule and will likely finish 5-5 and slide into the playoffs with a lower road seed. I think it's fair to say that if Blacksburg played the same schedule as Abingdon they would be undefeated headed to Richlands also. 

Abingdon will have a chance to prove they belong as a higher seed when the playoffs start. Based on seeding they should win one game......then lose the 2nd. If they win the 2nd round game you have an excellent argument for being mis-seeded......If they lose in the 2nd round then they were seeded where they belonged to be. 

Sleepin nuts, 

You are correct in saying that Abingdon will have a chance to prove itself come playoff time.  At home or on the road, execution is what matters come playoff time.

However, I am not convinced that Blacksburg would be undefeated going into Richlands if they played the same schedule as AHS.  Yes, Abingdon was VERY fortunate to win against Blacksburg.  Not making excuses but Abingdon fumbled 3 times while driving against Blacksburg and lost all 3....these fumbles were from being careless more than strips.  Furthermore, poor special teams play led to 3 scores for the Bruins.  I understand that taking care of the ball and special teams play ARE part of being a good football team.  In other words, this was definitely the most poorly played game by Abingdon. Please don't think I'm trying to diminish Blacksburg because they did have some good players and were well coached.

I believe that Gate City and Graham would be able to compete against Blacksburg...would they win??? Who knows...the ball is oblong and takes funny bounces.  

As I stated in one of my earlier posts, there is only a limited opportunity for Abingdon (heck most other teams for that matter) to schedule in a manner to guarantee that strength of schedule is strong every year.  Everyone has district games that are required and others that are financially required.  Talent levels fluctuate from year to year and sometimes solid programs have an "off year".  How your opponents perform is the wild card in scheduling.  AHS made an attempt to get a stronger schedule and get players noticed for honors by playing 2 Conference 32 teams.  Blacksburg was the best conference 32 team that could have been picked this year as Hidden Valley, Cave Spring and Patrick County are all having really bad seasons.  

Now the ability to beat Salem comment.......well, there just aren't many teams West of Richmond that could beat Salem.  Jefferson Forest is one of those teams but there are only a select few who could pull off this feat, even with Salem not being as good as the past few years.

I do enjoy the debate and input by everyone who has offered opinions, even if it differs from mine.  

On a side note about Salem......I attended last year's 4A state championship between Salem and Lake Taylor.  Salem had an excellent team and their star running back had a sprained ankle and only played on defense. The Spartans were a very big team.  Lake Taylor on the other hand, did not have an abundance of big players.  Salem's offensive line was much bigger than Lake Taylor.  The old saying that "speed kills" was on full display that night.  Lake Taylor had little trouble with an excellent Salem team.  In fact, Lake Taylor had beaten L.C. Bird during the regular season. All L.C. Bird did was win the 5A championship last year. Not only did Lake Taylor have great talent, they were very well coached.  During the recent re-classification, Lake Taylor dropped a division from their previous level as did other strong Tidewater teams.  For all the new issues created by the new alignment, I don't think any road to a state title was made more difficult than the "new" 4A classification.  

Have a great evening everyone. 

Exactly some say that they are where they need to be giles hammered Blacksburg an giles is IMO the 5th best team in 2a west

Giles is the BEST team in 2A west...and if you don't believe me then just ask me and i'll tell you LOL

Just messing with you. IMO I think right now we are the 6th best team in 2A west....we lost our fullback to a broken leg i'm hearing....big blow especially on defense

EHC87, I am not trying to slight Abingdon in anyway.  

My comment about if they could beat Salem was in response to a poster that suggested it was unfair that Abingdon was behind teams that had lost 2 games.....Salem is the type of team that is giving these teams a loss. Abingdon doesn't exactly have a Salem type of team on their schedule. 

Abingdon can only do what they can do with whats put in front of them. So far they have done all they can do by going 7-0.

For what it's worth I believe they have the best QB in all of 3A. This gives them a shot at anybody they play. 

I was comparing them with Blacksburg because it was their closest game and the rest of 3A has a pretty good grip on who Blacksburg is.

Abingdon is still a bit of an unknown quanity compared to the rest of 3A but the playoffs will remove any questions about who they are and where they should be ranked. 

Sleepin nuts, No offense taken.  Scheduling for any team is not easy and the power point system is as good as any (actually better) in determining playoff seeding.  As I stated earlier, the opportunity for AHS or any other team is available once you make the field of 16.

From that point on, it is about execution and playing smart.  As much as it pains me to say this, Richlands is about as close as AHS is going to get in terms of scheduling a program that is very solid on a consistent basis.  Richlands and Union are the Salem caliber teams for far Southwest Virginia.  Lower division yes but very, very solid almost every year. 

I would love nothing more than have AHS thrown into the same category as the 2 above mentioned schools.  To do so, it will require SEVERAL years of very good football.

Sixcat , me and you have discussed before. I agree with you. Let's not forget the principal, Robbie Patton who will have done more to destroy Fort in 5 minutes than any one person. He hired Tom Hale and should have known better with the mess he was there to actually see what Hale done to Carroll first hand.

Giles is the BEST team in 2A west...and if you don't believe me then just ask me and i'll tell you

Just messing with you. IMO I think right now we are the 6th best team in 2A west....we lost our fullback to a broken leg i'm hearing....big blow especially on defense

Sorry to hear that no matter what this is a kids game an it's always a bummer when a kid losses a year of football

Giles is the BEST team in 2A west...and if you don't believe me then just ask me and i'll tell you LOL

Sorry to hear that hokiebird about your fullback !  I also hate to hear about any injury to these young men,  but especially any long term type of injury.  Hope the young man has a full and complete recovery !

Sixcat , me and you have discussed before. I agree with you. Let's not forget the principal, Robbie Patton who will have done more to destroy Fort in 5 minutes than any one person. He hired Tom Hale and should have known better with the mess he was there to actually see what Hale done to Carroll first hand.

Correct on all accounts!

The top 6 in 2A West are as strong as it gets and IMO can go either way. I was able to watch Giles play Glenvar a few Saturdays ago and i think that Giles was the better team. On paper, Glenvar should have "walked the dogs" on them considering what they returned and what Giles lost. Not saying they can win it all, but they would give any on the top 3 teams a fit, and could possibly pull an upset if they go in as a #6 seed. Still a lot of good regular seasons game left, but man this is gonna be a fun post season!

Sorry to hear that no matter what this is a kids game an it's always a bummer when a kid losses a year of football

Not really sure how bad it is to be honest....i've heard he may be back for playoffs...sure hope so....we play floyd,east mont and auburn...we should win all those games and we need every healthy body available for the playoffs....we will have an uphill battle once playoffs get here

The top 6 in 2A West are as strong as it gets and IMO can go either way. I was able to watch Giles play Glenvar a few Saturdays ago and i think that Giles was the better team. On paper, Glenvar should have "walked the dogs" on them considering what they returned and what Giles lost. Not saying they can win it all, but they would give any on the top 3 teams a fit, and could possibly pull an upset if they go in as a #6 seed. Still a lot of good regular seasons game left, but man this is gonna be a fun post season!

I agree i think the playoffs are going to be good this year...some really good teams in 2A West this year...i still think it's absolutely a joke to cross bracket in the semifinals....just plain out dumb as hell...too much travel that isn't needed...but what can you do

I agree i think the playoffs are going to be good this year...some really good teams in 2A West this year...i still think it's absolutely a joke to cross bracket in the semifinals....just plain out dumb as hell...too much travel that isn't needed...but what can you do

It might be a lot of travel, but it doesn't fresh it up a little to have the ability to play teams that you might not have played before, also it give a chance to have two teams from this side of the state to play for a championship, like Richlands and Union. 

Virginia fans should be thankful for their travel situation. In Nebraska we're planning to cover a few local teams in their first round match-ups next weekend, looking like at least 425 miles one way for one school for a first round game. I know different states but it could always be worse.