Glevar @ Union

BigWinners

So then they really have only seen running teams.... not to dismiss VA High but they do not have the passing game such as richlands, union or abingdon. I will be really anxious to see how Glenvar can handle and prepare for the passing game. We can say a secondary is good but they haven't been tested like this before and that is hard to prepare for in practice.

So then they really have only seen running teams.... not to dismiss VA High but they do not have the passing game such as richlands, union or abingdon. I will be really anxious to see how Glenvar can handle and prepare for the passing game. We can say a secondary is good but they haven't been tested like this before and that is hard to prepare for in practice.

Spread teams Glenvar has faced are James River, Grayson, Cave Spring, Radford, VA High.

Radford by far is the best spread team Glenvar have faced. Radford avg 40-50 points per/game QB Finley by far is the best mobile QB in 1A. Probably the best in 2A as well.

Does anyone know if glenvars fullback returned this season, Union had a harder time stopping him last year than they did with Manns. Not taking anything away from Manns, but he can't be much harder to stop than Cousins was, so maybe we can force them to throw the ball.

Does anyone know if glenvars fullback returned this season, Union had a harder time stopping him last year than they did with Manns. Not taking anything away from Manns, but he can't be much harder to stop than Cousins was, so maybe we can force them to throw the ball.

Manns has over 1500 yards rushing with 22 tds. Plus he runs a 4.45 40. Definitely hard to stop

The "Bus" graduated last year. In the 2 games they played Giles I never even seen them use a fullback. And Manns is good but he doesn't compare to Cousins from Graham.

Manns is a lot better this year than last year when Union saw them...kid isn't big but runs hard and has a burst....Cousins is a better athlete for sure but don't sleep on Manns or he will take it to the house.....plus Glenvar has A LOT more weapons that Graham does

Unions receivers are Great. There is not just a couple of them either. Big, tall and fast on the outside and speed in the slot. Very physical also with very good ball skills. I doubt very seriously that Radford is as good as Unions offense but I have not seen them in person. This will be the game in my opinion...Glenvars Dbs against Unions receivers. Greatwhitemp is right....spears should have the ball out in less than two seconds or Glenvar will win probably. Cant wait to see who wins and which of these fans were right on with there thoughts.

Lot of fun......lol

Manns has over 1500 yards rushing with 22 tds. Plus he runs a 4.45 40. Definitely hard to stop

No offense to Manns whatsoever. He may run wild on Union, IDK, but the difference between him and the "bus" is, historically, Union has shut down several small quick backs, but they have rarely shutdown a big, physical one. 

Union is a deep team and I continue to contend that their wins over Richlands, Gate City, and Davy Crockett were due in large part to the Bear's depth. Graham was a similar story. The G-men played hard and gave Union everything they wanted for 3 quarters; but toward the end of the game, the Bears were just kicking into high gear.  They scored 28 straight points at the end of the game (just like they scored 21 straight points against Gate City). I think Richlands and Graham both may have had a better eleven - certainly I think Cousins was the best player on the field last week - but Union is really about 30 quality players deep. Union's sophomores are really impressive - Colot, Mitchell, Stidham, Walker, Zirkle, and Qualls have got better each week.           

Glenvar will get a lot of pressure on the QB they have all year. They were in the back field on just about every play against Giles and the week before against VA High. Good luck to Union though I really hope you guys win.

That is my biggest concern. If they don't get to the QB, Union wins. If they wreak havoc in the backfield, whether it be on the QB or RBs then Glenvar wins. Central(wise) is the only team that consistently got pressure on the QB and Union still moved the ball at will.

Union only scored 14 points in that game, but it wasn't due to not being able to move the ball. Nobody has shut Union's O down this year, so it will be interesting to see how much better Glenvar is than Richlands, Central, Crockett, and Letcher's defenses.

I don't think depth played a factor in the Richlands game. We went toe to toe all game.

I dont either, Richlands has just as many quality kids as any team around. I believe the turnovers were the factor. People still kind of look eerily about the Union win because it was by one point in OT as somehow an indication that Union is not as good as Richlands is and was lucky to win (No Richlands posters have said it, you guys are all class, but I hear it a lot from other schools, mainly people from Wise), and yes Asbury did throw a couple picks, but Richlands also had one KR TD and another long return to like the Union 10. Its not as if Union was not able to move the ball and put up points and (occassionally lol) stop Richlands. My point is, Richlands did not beat itself, Union beat them. Whether it can happen again who knows, two very evenly matched teams that would probably split 5/5 in 10 games, but Union won outright. 

None of that means jack shit against Glenvar lol. A year can change a lot, but a much less effective Union team gave Glenvar all they could handle on the road and lost by 10 after committing eight turnovers. If that number is just five, Union would have been right in it in the end. It was 12-9 when Union was driving before the last turnover, its not as if Glenvar steamrolled Union and the Bears are much better this year *but I am sure Glenvar is as well*.

Glenvar has not seen an offense as diverse and capable of Union, that much I know. There is no 2A team out there with a QB capable of making laser throws, lobbing deep balls, escaping the pocket or taking off for an 80 yard TD run (he played DB last year, the speed is there), three legit runners (Summers, Bishop, and Fannon), a big, physical TE with soft hands and a mean streak, and three legit, elite playmaking WRs. You can post all the 40 times you want, but I guarantee Noaks is as fast as anyone on the field. He ran down Cousins and knocked the fumble loose that really turned the tide, and he caught him from behind. Gavin is 6'4 and is capable of beating anyone deep, but if you put your best cover DB on him, Mitchell, 6'5, will either run you over on a bubble screen or beat you deep. Union needs to get more diverse in the passing game tho, it can't be just bubble screens, bootlegs and fly routes. With four guys capable of making plays, run more option routes, and more slants. If Glenvar is getting quick pressure, that means the screen game and the bubble game will be there early and set up the fake bubble go route. 

I will be rooting for Union, I believe we can win, but I also believe Glenvar can win and could easily come to the park and emerge with a victory. It wont be easy for either team, but I do believe Union is more battle tested, having played Richlands, Crockett and Graham already. Radford and Giles are good, but Union's opponents had a slightly better combined record and GC brings down the Union average but I guarantee that they are better than most 6-4 teams.

I don't think depth played a factor in the Richlands game. We went toe to toe all game.

I don't think it did either. Asbury had played only 3 and a half quarters of Varsity football. That was our biggest disadvantage and his stats speaks for itself now. He is as good as anybody and better than most. Union was without Noaks....that's a BIG deal. Union beat us and may very well do it again if we both survive.I sure hope it does and I expect nothing different than the same type of game as the last five....lol.

Back to this game. Something that hasn't been mentioned is Unions physical toughness. That and Gavin surprised me more than anything. Union is mentally and physically very tough. Gavin took a pretty good beating our game and then in return put a good beating on our players. Just so impressed by him that game. I will forever be a fan of his. Union will battle Glenvars GREAT front four all night. Once again if Spears can get the ball out of his hands in less than two seconds, I think Union wins. I think Glenvar is going to have trouble matching up everywhere. The line is a given....Glenvar is the BEST in the state. If i am wrong about Glenvar not being able to cover Unions spread......I will be right back here saying I was wrong.

Union - 27

Glenvar - 17

If the Union team that played Richlands shows up they are just about unbeatable IMOA, they played as close to a perfect game as I have ever watched for a high school game. If the Union team that played Central shows up its game over. I will be pulling for Union. I would love to see a Union/Richlands rematch on a neutral field, I just hope they both can make it there.

I don't think it did either. Asbury had played only 3 and a half quarters of Varsity football. That was our biggest disadvantage and his stats speaks for itself now. He is as good as anybody and better than most. Union was without Noaks....that's a BIG deal. Union beat us and may very well do it again if we both survive.I sure hope it does and I expect nothing different than the same type of game as the last five....lol.

Back to this game. Something that hasn't been mentioned is Unions physical toughness. That and Gavin surprised me more than anything. Union is mentally and physically very tough. Gavin took a pretty good beating our game and then in return put a good beating on our players. Just so impressed by him that game. I will forever be a fan of his. Union will battle Glenvars GREAT front four all night. Once again if Spears can get the ball out of his hands in less than two seconds, I think Union wins. I think Glenvar is going to have trouble matching up everywhere. The line is a given....Glenvar is the BEST in the state. If i am wrong about Glenvar not being able to cover Unions spread......I will be right back here saying I was wrong.

Union - 27

Glenvar - 17

Its worth noting that both QBs were playing in their first huge game. Spears is a first year QB, but has the advantage of playing the last two years. Both QBs had to be tested under fire, Spears had an advantage of being older and playing at the varsity level but he is a first year QB as well

Pretty amazing that two first year QBs put on such a show in that game, it was the finest high school game I've saw since 97 at the Park when PV and Appalachia played and were both undefeated and going on to win state titles. (AHS was A Div 1, PV was A Div 2, GC was AA Div 1 but the third best team in SWVA with both PV and AHS beating them lol)

As of now Stidham is 50-50 for the game, talked to his dad. Could be a major problem there if he doesn't play.

High school football doesnt put out injury reports for the game, I think not letting a team be aware of something like that is in your best interest.

If 50 is going to hurt himself further playing, he should sit. Future health means more than playing in one game, and he is a sophomore. Unless he is physically unable to walk out there and try,he will try and play, but the doctors and coaches should really watch and keep an eye and not let him hurt himself.

Yeah I wouldn't have wrote it but someone done beat me to the punch, so it was already out there. He's a tough kid though, he'll be out there.

Yeah its no secret he hurt himself Friday night, anyone watching that game that had saw previous Union games knows he is really not 100%. He's as tough as a two dollar steak, if his legs are working, he will try and walk out there to play but if he can do more damage and hurt himself, I hope he doesn't attempt to play.

He is integral to the Union team, especially on defense as he is a very good, talented, athletic, dominant DT with a mean streak, but I don't want to see any kid get hurt badly out there. I don't know the extent of his injury, I truly have no idea, its not my business and I have no inside information about it, I just hope it works out for the best. Everyone knows how hard all of these kids work, and if he can't go, his teammates will surely have some extra incentive to perform knowing how much he wants to be out there. #50 at 50% is better than most kids at 100%, but I don't want to see any kid suffer any serious injury or further complicate any existing injuries.