Couple of Peeves.....

futbolking

Glen VAR is really an honest mistake.

My wife, who is from NE TN and not SW VA, says Rich lunds to aggravate me.

Another mispronunciation of Honaker that I hear is Hahn-icker. Like saying Hannukkah but adding the R like many add at the end of words around here.

I made the mistake of saying Bu cannon to a guy from Hurley. He corrected me.

Also, there is no t in Abingdon, thus one shouldn't pronounce it "Abington. "

To respond to redtiger about Haysi;

Funny thing about that. I went to Berea College. You all played Berea Community High School in football around my sophomore year. I was at that game and they called you guys " Hayside."

It bothers me that no one knows where thomas walker is. Here is an illustration

Tennessee won't take us, Kentucky hates us, and Virginia shuns us (said in little gurly voice)

Tw------------------------------------------------------lee-------------------------------------------------------------everyone else

I left Lee Co. in 1989, it is good to see nothing has changed.  Thomas Walker is still between Rose Hill and Ewing, right.  It is still one of the most beautiful areas in the country, so why care about what anyone else thinks.

@Trumpet... I do believe on EVERYthing that the VHSL send out it is referred to Central-Wise. Sure if you drive up behind the ole Wal-Mart and see the sign it says "Central High School" but to clarify Central could be a multitude of schools. I think within Wise County, Central would be directly associated with Central-Wise but travel closer to Abingdon and it could be Sullivan Central... Up in central Virginia there is Sussex Central, Central-Lunenburg, and Central-Woodstock. 

Maybe utilized as clarification more so than people just being ignorant. 

Like Parkview - South Hill and Park View - Sterling.

Like Parkview - South Hill and Park View - Sterling.

Heritage-Lynchburg, Heritage-Leesburg and Heritage-Newport News, as well.

My absolute favorite is Freedom (South Riding) and Freedom (Woodbridge) who are just about an hour apart both using Eagles as their mascot and black and gold as their colors.

When people call Central "Wise Central"

You do realized there are several other "Central"s in VA...Central (Wise), Central (Woodstock), Central Senior...

Don't understand why they chose such a "vanilla" name for the school...I guess your county administrators wanted to be like Necktucky.  In reality, all the "new" schools in Wise Co. have "vanilla" names...Central, Eastside, Union.  Union is the least "vanilla" of them all, I guess they could be considered "French Vanilla"...

I've got one nobody has mentioned yet...

When I'm on the phone for work and speaking with someone in regards to our office location, I'll say it, then spell.  Not one time has gone by that they haven't said "Taze-well".  I always say, you can call it that but its pronounced "Taz-well" by the folks that live here...

Don't understand why they chose such a "vanilla" name for the school...I guess your county administrators wanted to be like Necktucky.  In reality, all the "new" schools in Wise Co. have "vanilla" names...Central, Eastside, Union.  Union is the least "vanilla" of them all, I guess they could be considered "French Vanilla"...

There was a big balancing act there. A real effort to not choose names, mascots and colors that would further divide the county. A lot of people outside of Wise Co may not realize how divisive consolidation was. It was a whole lot more than "don't close our school", "Vikings forever", and so forth. I'm talking death threats on administrators and their wives and children. Serious enough to require police protection to and from meetings for school officials. There were physical altercations before, during, and after meetings.

They solicited public input via anonymous surveys (paper and electronic) for names, colors, mascots, etc... Ultimately, they allowed the student government council at the joining schools to decide. I can't remember all the details, but  Central was chosen because it is in the "central" part of the county, Eastside because it is on the "east" side of the county.

Union was chosen because it was a union of two great schools. Bears because it is a native animal that represents strength and power. Orange because it combines the gold from Appy and the red from PV. Navy blue because it combines the columbia blue of PV and royal blue of Appy. And obviously the kids like the idea of being "The U".

Other names that were finalist for Union....Lonesome Pine High and Heritage high.

Another name for Eastside that I really wish they had chosen. Twin Rivers High....mascot - Griffins.

If I read correctly, I think Ridgeview's name, colors, and mascots were chosen along these lines too.

Lonesome Pine and Twin Rivers would have been great school names.  I think Ridgeview is fairly generic as well...just like River View, Mount View, and PikeView in WV.  In case you don't know why they called it PikeView...the School sits just of Exit 14 on I-77, also known as the WV Turnpike, and the interstate is visible from the school, thus PikeView.

I certainly hope when Tazewell Co. consolidates, they give more thought to the names of the schools than Wise and Dickenson Cos. did...I've been a fan of the name Clinch River HS for the new western most school in Tazewell Co.   Would like the eastern school to be call Bluestone River HS or East River HS.  But I won't be surprised if they with Tazewell Co. East and Tazewell Co. West...

When WVVA does anything, it's usually wrong.... they called Jamorya Cousin ... "D.J. Hagerman" on that same broadcast that they called Scottie Ball..."Scottie Hall".  They were using last year's roster, or got it off of max preps or something... very irritating.  99% of the people on this board know more than those "sportscasters" about our local teams.  They are more concerned about running all over the state of West Virginia to cover "Meadow Bridge" or some school that nobody cares about around here.

WDBJ did the same, called Cousin, D.J. Hagerman

I've got one nobody has mentioned yet...

When I'm on the phone for work and speaking with someone in regards to our office location, I'll say it, then spell. Not one time has gone by that they haven't said "Taze-well". I always say, you can call it that but its pronounced "Taz-well" by the folks that live here...

Town in Tennessee near thomas walker called Tazewell that stress the first "e"

I thought good names would be Lonesome Pine for Coeburn/St Paul and Powell River or Headwaters Powell Valley/ Appalachia (Powell River rises just above Appalachia and continues though the town of Big Stone Gap) and Highlands for JJK/Pound since its the highest area in Wise Co. I threw out the idea of Dogwood, Commonwealth and Old Dominion too.

Ridgeview kills me. Pine Mountain, Western Ridge, Mountain Empire, DICKENSON COUNTY, DICKENSON, or Dogwood, Commonwealth, Old Dominion. there were lots of options and none were chosen.

I even threw out Mullins-Colley(the names of the first 2 settlers in the area) with the nickname Mountaineers, Pioneers(too common) or Trailblazers.

The school name was chosen by the school board while the mascot and colors were chosen by letting county residents recommend names online and then the student body choosing from the most popular submissions.

I joked 20 years ago that Appy and PV should be called Apple Valley High, and we could have been the "Fighting Orchards". Our mascot would be a guy dressed in a foam tree and he could throw "apples" at the visiting players and fans. :)

Lame, I know, but just close your eyes and visualize it. You'll start to smile! haha...

Also I pronounce and have heard the town of Lebanon pronounced Leb a nun while the country is pronounced the way its spelled lol.

Rod, a problem with Freedom/Liberty/etc and the mascots Eagles/Patriots/etc is they are way too popular. School individuality is important. That was a big selling point for the color scheme and mascot of Ridgeview. As far as high schools go I haven't seen another one with that color scheme and theres only a couple of schools within a half days drive with that mascot.

The country is Leb a NON. The Russell County town, and others, are pronounced Leb a NUN. Like the town Versailles, KY. The town in KY is pronounced Ver sails. But Treaty of Versailles is Ver-SIGH. Or Athens, KY being pronounced AY-thuns.

I like mascots based on a serpent, like the Council Cobras. 

I like the Ridgeview mascot and color scheme, myself. 

One mascot that would be cool is one based on a serpent. 

One name and mascot that was entertained for awhile for Union was Lonesome Pine Pioneers. Pioneers to me just doesn't sound appealing. I like the mascot Bears. The name, Union, is ok. Eastside sounds like a gang. I like the name Spartans. I like Central's version of a Warrior. Cat nicknames are a little too common. I'm glad Union wasn't called anything like the Tigers, Panthers, Cougars, or Wildcats.