Second team:

WR- Howie Richlands

Off. All Purpose- Mullins Central

DL- Holmes Richlands

LB- Rasnic Lee

DB- Atkinson Richlands

P- Stamper Lebanon

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/fb-2015-2A-all-state-team1.pdf

Who can spot the error here? I bet futbolking can.

Congrats to all that made these lists. All great football players. Although, some did not have nowhere near the season they had last season, but yet they made these lists frankly just because they were there last year. Just saying.

There are a couple of athletes that come to my mind, as we all have those thoughts and opinions, that should have gotten way more recognition. The one athlete I would like to mention that really really stands out to me that did not get the recognition deserved was the QB from Union, Bryce Spears. The kid has 2600 all purpose yards at the QB position with 34 passing TD's, 7 rushing TD's and a completion percentage rating of 70% and 5 int's. Only 2 int's going into the 2A semifinal game against Clarke County. Thought he would at least be 2nd team behind Asbury. No doubt Asbury is the top 2A QB. Spears was also a great DB, that he got some recognition for on the all conference 40 and all 2A West teams. Several interceptions with great returns, some for TD's. Maybe could have gotten more of an honor on the defensive side of the ball if he wasn't taken out of the defensive line up a couple of games. That could have been because the coach wanted to save his energy for the QB position in some key matchups....., don't know. Again all great ball players on these lists and 2A was definitely loaded with talent this year, no doubt. But, I do believe some were definitely left out because the selection has become more of a "okay guys this kid was on the list last year, can't leave him off this year" type of thing. That type of attitude leaves well deserving athletes off the list. What a shame.

Who stood out to you this season that had an ALL STATE type of season, yet did not receive any or much recognition?

I guess I'm a little Bias, but I thought my son, (Daryl Manns) from Glenvar would've made 2ND team All-State. He finished with over 1700 yards rushing with 23 Touchdowns. Either way this list will not make or break him.

To the spears comment, all state team comes from the all region team which comes from the all district team.Anything beyond 1st team rarely get selected. Correct me if I'm wrong

Spears was deserving and will be missed, sad he didnt get the recognition.

Same thing with Rasnic not being 1st team.

I don't see one. ;)

James Mitchell did not play TE for Union this season. He did last year. He played at the WR position this season along with Noaks at the other. Jake Barnett was Union's TE through the entire season. Something is wrong here.

Was there some room made for one or two??? It's things like this that sort of makes you wonder about the process.

To the spears comment, all state team comes from the all region team which comes from the all district team.Anything beyond 1st team rarely get selected. Correct me if I'm wrong

Spears was deserving and will be missed, sad he didnt get the recognition.

Same thing with Rasnic not being 1st team.

Makes sense. Yes Spears was definitely deserving and will definitely be missed. Looking forward to seeing Rasnic next year.

I guess I'm a little Bias, but I thought my son, (Daryl Manns) from Glenvar would've made 2ND team All-State. He finished with over 1700 yards rushing with 23 Touchdowns. Either way this list will not make or break him.

Giles fan here and your son is a hell of a football player and seemed like a great kid when i talked to him after y'all spanked our butts the 2nd time LOL....the one that got me was Remington Stanley on the 2nd team? I mean if he isn't 1st team all-state something is wrong with the voting....kid talked a lot but damn he backed it up

James Mitchell did not play TE for Union this season. He did last year. He played at the WR position this season along with Noaks at the other. Jake Barnett was Union's TE through the entire season. Something is wrong here.

Was there some room made for one or two??? It's things like this that sort of makes you wonder about the process.

Mitchell was listed in the Richlands geme as a TE. I've always seen him listed as a TE.

Giles fan here and your son is a hell of a football player and seemed like a great kid when i talked to him after y'all spanked our butts the 2nd time LOL....the one that got me was Remington Stanley on the 2nd team? I mean if he isn't 1st team all-state something is wrong with the voting....kid talked a lot but damn he backed it up

Thanks hokie!! Yes, I was surprised by Remi as well. He was 1st Team All-State last year. I believe the system is flawed. Personally, I think the 2A West 1st and 2nd team All Region should be the same for All- State.

Mitchell was listed in the Richlands geme as a TE. I've always seen him listed as a TE.

That list is incorrect along with the other lists you may have seen. He was WR. Jake Barnett was the starting TE at 6'4" 240 and played TE throughout the entire game and did throughout the season. Barnett also played DE on defense. Occasionally you would see Mitchell line up in a two TE set, but that was very rare. PA announcer when announcing the starting line up at Union games in Big Stone Gap would always call out "at WR James Mitchell", "at TE Jake Barnett". Those were the positions they played. Any lists you have seen showing otherwise are misleading. 

Thanks hokie!! Yes, I was surprised by Remi as well. He was 1st Team All-State last year. I believe the system is flawed. Personally, I think the 2A West 1st and 2nd team All Region should be the same for All- State.

Well i don't know about that....there are some good players on the east side too and I don't think it should have been the exact same but for Stanley to not make 1st team all state something is seriously wrong....but what can you do?

I'm right there with you. It's flawed. Remington Stanley had a great season last year, but even better this year. He's a first teamer. As hokiebird7 said, what can you do?

There is nothing you can do.  There are times when these things become political.  You will have some coaches that will "scratch" the other's back to get "their" kids on the team.  It isn't right and not all coaches do it.   I have heard of plenty scenarios where this has happened. Like someone said earlier, it isn't the end of the world and it probably won't break them. They may be a little upset and understandingly so, but football teaches those things and life goes on, and that is what football should be teaching at the end of the day.  Not everyone that is deserving makes it and that's part of it.  ALL ABOUT THE TEAM.  

There is nothing you can do.  There are times when these things become political.  You will have some coaches that will "scratch" the other's back to get "their" kids on the team.  It isn't right and not all coaches do it.   I have heard of plenty of scenarios where this has happened. Like someone said earlier, it isn't the end of the world and it probably won't break them. They may be a little upset and understandingly so, but football teaches those things and life goes on, and that is what football should be teaching at the end of the day.  Not everyone that is deserving makes it and that's part of it.  ALL ABOUT THE TEAM.  

You are absolutely correct.  These teams do not always truly represent the best in the state.  Players are used as bartering chips in these meetings by some coaches.

Who can spot the error here? I bet futbolking can.

I went straight to "Cousin" noticed there was no "s" at the end and almost fell out of my chair.... In would have had a breakdown if they had spelled it wrong again...