Struggles of Eastside

Hokie Bound

Is Eastside looking to unload Central, Lee, and Union next year in the new cycle. Eastside is a struggling program right now and needs to find WINS. Playing these schools are three losses each year and that makes it even more difficult for the new coach to turn around that program. Just my thoughts?

Why would they want to replace Central and Lee? Seems to me those 2 teams aren't at a level that a program like Eastside just can't compete with 'em (90% of the time anyway). Given Coeburn's history vs. both Appy and PV, I can understand why they might want away from Union. But, over the years, Coeburn did fairly well with Pound and Kelly...and should be able to hang with Central...and Lee too, for that matter. Any way it goes, they have to schedule 10 teams. Given the weakness of a Cumberland District schedule, I don't think it would be smart in the long or short term for Eastside to drop Lee or Central either one.

Why would they want to replace Central and Lee? Seems to me those 2 teams aren't at a level that a program like Eastside just can't compete with 'em (90% of the time anyway). Given Coeburn's history vs. both Appy and PV, I can understand why they might want away from Union. But, over the years, Coeburn did fairly well with Pound and Kelly...and should be able to hang with Central...and Lee too, for that matter. Any way it goes, they have to schedule 10 teams. Given the weakness of a Cumberland District schedule, I don't think it would be smart in the long or short term for Eastside to drop Lee or Central either one.

not sure if serious

To me Central and Lee are both 2A and would beat Eastside 8 out out 10 times at least. Thats why I would drop them and try to start getting some wins. Winning builds a program while going 3-7 on a regular basis sends your better athletes to the gym and baseball field. Thats exaxactly whats going on at Eastside right now.

It's like this, if Eastside were to win their very winnable district games, they would never go 3-7 to begin with. Until that happens, it doesn't matter who the out of district games are. All I'm saying is that scheduling Lee and Central doesn't make for an overwhelming schedule. You have to have some challenges on there somewhere. I really don't know what's worse: playing a decent schedule and going 3-7 or playing 10 cupcakes and going 8-2...and then losing by 60 in the first round of the playoffs. I'd just as soon do the former as the latter.

Eastside is just going through a rough patch. They've beat Central and played Lee close in the past and even this year they gave Hurley a game in the first half so dropping those schools wouldn't do much for them. Maybe they can pick up Twin Valley, Holston, Northwood or go to TN or KY and pick up somebody.

Eastside is just going through a rough patch. They've beat Central and played Lee close in the past and even this year they gave Hurley a game in the first half so dropping those schools wouldn't do much for them. Maybe they can pick up Twin Valley, Holston, Northwood or go to TN or KY and pick up somebody.

Picking up Holston, Twin Valley, Northwood, Bland, Narrows gives them a better shot at winning and turning the program around. Why would Central and Lee want to play a weak 1a school when they can play better 2a schools and get more points plus play better teams to prepare for the playoffs. What is the overall record between Eastside-Lee, Eastside-Central, and Eastside-Union. Just wondering.

Picking up Holston, Twin Valley, Northwood, Bland, Narrows gives them a better shot at winning and turning the program around. Why would Central and Lee want to play a weak 1a school when they can play better 2a schools and get more points plus play better teams to prepare for the playoffs. What is the overall record between Eastside-Lee, Eastside-Central, and Eastside-Union. Just wondering.

here

http://www.vhsl-reference.com/mastergames_byyear_byteam.cfm?ID=11317&GY=2016

Coming into the year Eastside was 2-3 vs Central, 0-3 vs Lee, and 0-1 vs Union. In the losses vs Central and Lee, there was a game vs each team that were decided by less than 7 points. So, combined they are 2-7 vs those 3 schools, and it verily easily could be 4-5.

Coming into the year Eastside was 2-3 vs Central, 0-3 vs Lee, and 0-1 vs Union. In the losses vs Central and Lee, there was a game vs each team that were decided by less than 7 points. So, combined they are 2-7 vs those 3 schools, and it verily easily could be 4-5.

and between those same schools, scores with union have been incredibly close. So the same could be said for them playing union. Invalidating your point.

and between those same schools, scores with union have been incredibly close. So the same could be said for them playing union. Invalidating your point.

What point are you talking about? Just because Lee and Central has played Union close in the past, it doesn't have a thing to do with how Eastside plays Union. Doesn't work that way.  Personally, I don't care whose schedule Eastside is or isn't on. Given their size, you would think they would be good for points most years considering the district they play in.  At the same time, since 1970, teams from Coeburn have a .126 win ptg vs teams from Big Stone Gap and Appalachia (10-69 overall), so that might be a mind block for Eastside when they face Union. If they were to drop 1 of the 3, the money is on Union to be dropped IMO.

The general feeling around the Eastern end of Wise Co is that "Eastside is just a little school and shouldn't be playing those big schools", never mind that they are almost 2x bigger than most of their Cumberland competition. They want to be the big school in a little district and not play schools than are bigger than them, and that's the problem with the whole program.  

I can understand not playing Union, those two programs are worlds apart but Lee and Central are the perfect "big school" opponents. The issues at Eastside run deep, hopefully the new coach can get things going

You just used the transitive property to "invalidate" someone else's point. Let that seep in for a while...

I ain't got time for "grammer" nor does my phone understand properties. But yes I was concluding that union, lee, and central are all 2a teams that have beaten eastside. Union and Lee are undefeated against them. However as stated above they are a Large 1a school. Had eastside played union any in 11-13 the games would have been close, as with the other schools mentioned.

I ain't got time for "grammer" nor does my phone understand properties. But yes I was concluding that union, lee, and central are all 2a teams that have beaten eastside. Union and Lee are undefeated against them. However as stated above they are a Large 1a school. Had eastside played union any in 11-13 the games would have been close, as with the other schools mentioned.

Maybe in 2011 and 2012. The 2011 team almost fell apart mid-season. The 2012 team was a little bit better. Union would have likely dominated Eastside in 2013. 

Hurley still needs two games for the next cycle. Eastside, Holston, Castlewood, and Shelby valley all dropped Hurley.  They also had to pick up Eastern Montgomery for the next cycle.  That is a 3 hour trip at least.  I know all these schools do not  want to come to Hurley but it makes it hard for a school the size of Hurley with 185 kids 9-12 to play anybody close by with all these schools dropping them. 

Hurley still needs two games for the next cycle. Eastside, Holston, Castlewood, and Shelby valley all dropped Hurley.  They also had to pick up Eastern Montgomery for the next cycle.  That is a 3 hour trip at least.  I know all these schools do not  want to come to Hurley but it makes it hard for a school the size of Hurley with 185 kids 9-12 to play anybody close by with all these schools dropping them. 

if Tug Valley is available, I would try to schedule them if I were Hurley.  As anyone from Haysi can attest to, they are a very quality 1A West Virginia school.

Patrick Henry is a similar sized school.

Chilhowie will be good competition.

Holston is a weak pickup, as if their Cumberland schedule wasn't soft enough they go and pick up a smaller school with major struggles.

Honaker was a similar sized school and a good matchup(that program is where Eastside wants to go)