Power points

goose111874

Abingdon is currently at 900 students. To give you an idea, Richlands is one of the bigger AA schools, and their enrollment is currently at 644. There is a LARGE gap between Abingdon being a AA school.

Abingdon is currently at 900 students. To give you an idea, Richlands is one of the bigger AA schools, and their enrollment is currently at 644. There is a LARGE gap between Abingdon being a AA school.

Thanks Ryan, I had no idea the classification specifics. So if AHS is at 900, are they a larger AAA school? Because if RHS is a larger AA school at 644, then AHS must be a decent sized AAA, right?

A couple of years ago AHS enrollment was, I wanna say, low 900's....like 915. I don't know the current numbers at all. I also don't know the enrollment values to constitute each classification. Abingdon did do a home and away with Volunteer recently but didn't renew it. I'd like to see them play Sullivan East, Central or Sullivan North. No thanks to Dobyns Bennett. I'd like to see them against Tn High just to see how we compare. I went to the DB vs Maryville game last weekend, and DB hung with them for awhile, but dang, Quarles is an incredible coach. Heard someone say a the game that in 2000 they lost 4 games. Since then, they've lost a total of 8 games. That's insane. Sorry, of topic.

Abingdon's numbers for the next cycle is listed at 886 http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/alignment-March-31-2016-ADM-numbers-by-classification1.pdf

One thing to keep in mind about the Falcon's schedule. They are already getting 3A points for all of the 2A schools they are playing. The problem isn't that they are playing small schools, the problem is the teams that they are playing aren't winning games. Abingdon had 6 teams on their schedule last year that won 4 games or less. Only 2 teams had a winning record.

Also, before going off and scheduling a bunch of 3 and 4A schools, they need to beat all the 2A schools on their schedule. They lost to Graham and still have to get by Richlands.

Moving to the Mountain isn't going to help them a lot as far as points go unless they can add some winning teams to their out of district slate like Richlands, Graham, and Blacksburg. Tenn High would be a good addition to that schedule.

Abingdon's numbers for the next cycle is listed at 886 http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/alignment-March-31-2016-ADM-numbers-by-classification1.pdf

One thing to keep in mind about the Falcon's schedule. They are already getting 3A points for all of the 2A schools they are playing. The problem isn't that they are playing small schools, the problem is the teams that they are playing aren't winning games. Abingdon had 6 teams on their schedule last year that won 4 games or less. Only 2 teams had a winning record.

Also, before going off and scheduling a bunch of 3 and 4A schools, they need to beat all the 2A schools on their schedule. They lost to Graham and still have to get by Richlands.

Moving to the Mountain isn't going to help them a lot as far as points go unless they can add some winning teams to their out of district slate like Richlands, Graham, and Blacksburg. Tenn High would be a good addition to that schedule.

Thanks! I was going off last cycles numbers.

Yeah, even though AHS football has grown in popularity and game attendance, I seriously doubt the school board would propose a boundary change in order to facilitate a move to 2A for the AHS football program. I don't know this years high school attendee numbers but a couple short years ago it was just a smidge above the 2A numbers. Like within 25-50 kids. Of course the number of kids attending changes annually. But it seems that they hover right at the top,of 2A and the bottom of 3AM every year. I would guess AHS is just stuck where they are for the foreseeable future.

BigO, the move wouldn't be for the football team... it would be to reduce playoff travel, which would save $ and reduce the number of class room hours the kids miss. Not to mention putting more kids in Battle, PH and Holston. Moving those schools closer to the enrollment that they were designed for, it's a more efficient use of the counties resources.

You gotta sell it right

BigO, the move wouldn't be for the football team... it would be to reduce playoff travel, which would save $ and reduce the number of class room hours the kids miss. Not to mention putting more kids in Battle, PH and Holston. Moving those schools closer to the enrollment that they were designed for, it's a more efficient use of the counties resources.

You gotta sell it right

Oh I agree 100%!!! But remember, this is Abingdon....it would be portrayed the way I wrote it. Then someone would sell it the way you wrote it...then the whole idea would get locked down in the bureaucratic basement that is Abingdon, by being "tabled"....lol

As far as Abingdon playing Sullivan County schools Sullivan North's numbers are around 500, and South's in the 700 range, when combined in 2019 they will be 5A. (6A is going away in the new classification) North and South and Central will all stay in there current classification. I don't know if Abingdon would benefit from playing Sullivan County schools but like as posted before Tennessee High and DB would make a place for them. I don't know why Abingdon hasn't tried to schedule Elizabethton or Boone or Crockett easy trips win or lose your gonna get a bunch of points, Heck a trip to Morristown is closer than some of the other AAA in Virginia.

The same reason for years Abingdon has played JSB and PH. Although PH is not on the schedule anymore Abingdon has played the smaller schools. They played Burton a few years back. I would say it is because they lack the confidence in the past to play those schools you speak of. If may have changed now with Coach Reed in charge.

As far as Abingdon playing Sullivan County schools Sullivan North's numbers are around 500, and South's in the 700 range, when combined in 2019 they will be 5A. (6A is going away in the new classification) North and South and Central will all stay in there current classification. I don't know if Abingdon would benefit from playing Sullivan County schools but like as posted before Tennessee High and DB would make a place for them. I don't know why Abingdon hasn't tried to schedule Elizabethton or Boone or Crockett easy trips win or lose your gonna get a bunch of points, Heck a trip to Morristown is closer than some of the other AAA in Virginia.

http://www.timesnews.net/Sports/2016/09/29/October-could-bring-significant-changes-in-TSSAA-classifications.html?ci=content&lp=4&p=1

TSSAA will still have 6 classifications. They're just doing away with the "Super 32" concept. However, their classifications don't entirely line up with Virginia's. For instance, Clinton, TN might be a 5A school in TN for their next cycle, but they would only be 3A in VA as far as power points go.

Elizabethton would be a tough/good game for Abingdon. 

I don't mean to sound like I'm down on Abingdon. I will root for them like I do all SWVA teams. I just think they need to schedule more competitive teams if they ever hope to get respect in the rest of 3A.

Food for thought....if Abingdon went 10-0 this year with Richlands 9-1, Graham 8-2, and all the rest of their opponents at 7-3, they would end the season with a rating around 31. That would have been more than enough for the #1 seed in 3A  and the #2 seed in 4A West LAST year. Proof that it's the wins their opponents have not their classification that matters.

Of course, AHS can't contol the win/loss record of the schools they play. That sounds more like an indictment of the other area schools. Requiring AHS to travel out of state to gain points is a little much. I'd love to see some of those games, no doubt. Financially speaking, it makes more sense to play the JSB's and Lebanon's though. Asking AHS to travel out of state is like asking Lebanon, JSB, etc to win more games.....easier said than done. It's just a mess that has no definitive answer.

Saying they have "to travel out of state" for games isint a very solid argument. Were not talking about a central VA or a peninsula school, were talking about a school on the TN border and ne that's very close to NC. KY and WV might be far trips but TN or NC are right there. The fact is Abingdon needs more 3A school on the schedule, they are making strides with their schedule and that progression needs to continue if they hope to make any noise in 3A.

Besides, out of state schools are the best tough competition to play imo. If you win, nobody knows just how good you are. If you lose, nobody knows just how good you are.

CityofRaven, that's the argument I made earlier and I don't think its extreme, getting the county schools into 2 classifications instead of 3 makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons. Athletic success being the least of them

With Abingdon moving to the Mountain that gives them 4 OOC games for next year.  If they could make Sullivan East and TN High 2 of those OOC opponents it would be huge for them because of travel and possible points.  That doesnt mean it is that easy to line up though.  I imagine they keep VA High for rivalries sake and most likely Graham and Richlands still I guess with only 1 spot actually open.

I think Abingdon is picking up Pulaski as an OOC opponent next year.  Christiansburg stays on the schedule and Hidden Valley will be picked up if I'm not mistaken.  

Tennessee schools have a contract schedule that is different than Virginia which makes scheduling those teams a little more difficult than in state schools.  There really isn't an easy solution for Abingdon's schedule because some of the traditional teams on the schedule provide good gates.....and the money is a very important issue.  

Home seeding is nice but you cannot rule out getting a second round home game if you don't get a top 4 seed.  Just a few years ago Abingdon traveled to Broadway in an 8 vs. 9 matchup.  Winner was sure to go on the road the next week to face the number 1 seed.  One problem......Waynesboro, the 16 seed upset the number 1 seed Hidden Valley.  Is this likely every year??  Of course not but you just never know how things will turn out come playoff time.

The problem with Abingdon is that they have a great academic school. They draw a lot of kids who should be going to Holston, JSB, and PH because of strong academics.

IF the program can remain competitive over the next couple of years and the 3-4 best athletes from those schools decide to come, then they will have something special going on.

Hopefully comparable to our friends in Richlands

Still a lot to be decided on Monday as a LOT of teams can still earn bonus points in 1A and 2A West plus other teams still play Monday night... Here is the top 5 as I have it at the moment though...

1A West:

1.  Hurley 22.33333

2.  Galax 20.66667

3.  Patrick Henry 20.33333

4.  George Wythe 19.5

5.  Chilhowie 19.33333

2A West:

1.  Appomattox 26

2.  Richlands 24

3.  Union 22.83333

4.  Dan River 22.28571

5.  Graham 21.83333

Does anyone know if dan river plays 9 or 10 games. The schedule I seen has them playing only 9 games.

They "play" 9, but get credit for a 10th by forfeit over Bartlett Yancey, NC.

Only way for Union to crack the top 4 at the end of the year is if Richlands, Graham, Dan River or Appo lose 2 games.

The problem with Abingdon is that they have a great academic school. They draw a lot of kids who should be going to Holston, JSB, and PH because of strong academics.

IF the program can remain competitive over the next couple of years and the 3-4 best athletes from those schools decide to come, then they will have something special going on.

Hopefully comparable to our friends in Richlands

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/VA/schoolrank.aspx?level=3

They "play" 9, but get credit for a 10th by forfeit over Bartlett Yancey, NC.

Only way for Union to crack the top 4 at the end of the year is if Richlands, Graham, Dan River or Appo lose 2 games.

Since I don't have access to the raw data and it appears you do...

Assuming all top contenders win out otherwise...

If Appomattox loses to Amherst, and Richlands loses to Abingdon, where does that leave Graham? And also, if Appomattox loses to Amherst but Richlands beats Abingdon, where would that leave Graham?