Biggest Surprise / Biggest Let Down Teams so far?

bgibb

Still a lot of football to be played in the two Virginia's, but I'm curious to know who has been the biggest surprise and biggest let down team so far for you all. For me (I am a bit bias) but Graham has been the biggest surprise this year for me hands down. I would also say Abingdon, they were expected to do well but I don't think anyone was expecting the blow out victories. Biggest let downs for me so far are Tazewell and Bluefield. I really thought this would be the year Tazewell started to make strides and it just doesn't feel right without Bluefield being the normal powerhouse they are. 

Biggest surprise would probably be Grundy... sure some of the wins they got were expected, but there were a couple that were not at the beginning of the season (Central, Honaker).  

Biggest letdown is Ridgeview.  Expected to be a mid pack playoff team again this year, they probably won't even sniff the playoffs in the final week of the season.  One win against a very small school in Jenkins and really only one winnable game remaining (Honaker).

The biggest surprise has to be Graham and Hurley, they were both expected to be good but not as good as they are and the biggest disappointment has to be Honaker, they were ranked about 7nth in preseason VA Preps top 10, maybe even higher, can't remember for sure.

I don't think Graham is a surprise. I had them as my dark horse to be a top 4 seed, and that's exactly what they are going to be. I think Grundy is improved, and it's a little shocking that they will probably finish the season at 8-2. Didn't see that coming. I'll go with them for my biggest surprise. 

As for biggest disappointment, Bluefield and Giles are the two that come to mind. There was a lot of preseason hype around Bluefield and they have vastly underperformed. Same goes for Giles. They have a good defense, at least, but they need an offense to go along with that. 

After seeing Graham play Union in the playoffs, I don't think they are a surprise at all.

Biggest surprise for me has to be Grundy. I know they're not there yet, but they have made a lot of progress from were they were.

Biggest disappointments would be Central and Ridgeview. I know that Central has been decimated by injuries, but still. I really felt that Ridgeview would have progressed after last season, but they haven't.

Hey guys, you got to put Chilhowie in that mix of teams that is a big surprise. The

Warriors were just 3-17 in 2 years prior to this season. Now they stand at 6-1 this

Year, and probably a playoff team in A1 West. Sorry, but I don't have a disappointing

Team. I tend to dwell on the positives, and try to not look at the negatives of our

Youth. If they are playing football, I just can not say anything negative.

Graham is as good as I expected them to be.  I stated several times since before the start of the season that they would be one of the best and most dangerous teams on this end of the state, and after the way their season has gone,  that's exactly what they are.

Biggest surprise for me is Grundy and Chilhowie.

Biggest Disappointments have to be for me both Bluefield and Honaker. 

Biggest surprise for me is Graham's defense.  If someone would've told me they would be playing defense this well there's no way I would've believed them.  Their offense isn't a surprise at all to me.

Let down would have to be Bluefield.  They have the two fastest kids in the state of WV, a very capable QB, and an absolute horse of a fullback.  

Fort Chiswell. Thought they would win some games but from 0-10 to 4-2 past the halfway point is great improvement. Thought coming in Grundy would be improved with new coaching hires. But thought they would win 5-6 games not potentially 8

Biggest surprise teams

​​-Chilhowie: Season is going better than expected. Def. after the last couple seasons.

-Hurley: Even though they have a soft schedule they have a lot of talent and deserve some respect. Great O-Line, explosives backs and a strong defense.

-Graham: Dominated Richlands in the first half before blowing it (didn't see that happening). Beating Abingdon was a huge statement.

​Biggest let down teams

-Ridgeview: It's Haysi and Clintwood combined, two schools known for great football is 1-5. Thought they would kill every team they played and be a state contender at the least.

-Honaker: Heard they was going be down, but thought they would be doing better than they are.

-Lebanon: Beat Honaker with ease and have lost 5 straight since. They had a lot of hype going into the season.

-Wise-Central: Injuries are killing them. Team should have a winning record with the talent they have. QB has a Michael Vick playing style with a lot of speed.

I agree that there was hype for Giles when they killed Bluefield and beat Blacksburg but I didn't think them two schools would turn out to be a bust.

I seriously don't think you can consider Giles a bust...I mean dang we have lost to 3 pretty darn good teams all 3 games came down to the wire....A break here or there and we are 6-0 but we are 3-3.

And if you were reading before the season I stated that Giles would be down this year....they have actually played better for the most part than I thought they would to be honest. I know a good bit of our fans expect 15-0 every single year but not happening....2013 was a special season for us Spartan fans but the talent we have lost since that title game you just can't replace.

Every team goes through cycles and we have been pretty darn lucky as fans over the years to not have that many. Surely not as many as a lot of teams have.

Look at the 2013 season.....we blew Richlands out of the water, game was over 4 minutes into the game and look at Richlands now. Very very good football team that has a good shot to win a state title this year and proabably should have won it last year. Also beat Appomattox in the 2013 playoffs and look at them now...defending champs with a good shot to win it all again......as i said it all goes in cycles

So Giles IMO is not a bust....some of our fans just have expectations that aren't reasonable

Surprised no one is talking about John Battle. They have made enormous strides since September, and they've got a decent shot of making the playoffs

I'm happy for Battle. When I was playing in high school I remember Battle was lucky if they won 2-3 games tops. I was routing for them few years back when they went to the state semi-finals. I hope Battle does make the playoffs and has a successful season but I'm not really surprised though.

I seriously don't think you can consider Giles a bust...I mean dang we have lost to 3 pretty darn good teams all 3 games came down to the wire....A break here or there and we are 6-0 but we are 3-3.

And if you were reading before the season I stated that Giles would be down this year....they have actually played better for the most part than I thought they would to be honest. I know a good bit of our fans expect 15-0 every single year but not happening....2013 was a special season for us Spartan fans but the talent we have lost since that title game you just can't replace.

Every team goes through cycles and we have been pretty darn lucky as fans over the years to not have that many. Surely not as many as a lot of teams have.

Look at the 2013 season.....we blew Richlands out of the water, game was over 4 minutes into the game and look at Richlands now. Very very good football team that has a good shot to win a state title this year and proabably should have won it last year. Also beat Appomattox in the 2013 playoffs and look at them now...defending champs with a good shot to win it all again......as i said it all goes in cycles

So Giles IMO is not a bust....some of our fans just have expectations that aren't reasonable

I was referring to Blacksburg and Bluefield being a bust not Giles.

Hurley is good, but overrated. They play a very weak schedule. Playoffs, they will have to beat Galax and George Wythe. Grundy has played weak teams. Hurley and Richlands are the only teams with a winning record.

Surprise: Narrows

Bust: Bluefield, WV 29th in current WV Double AA Power Ratings

Surprised no one is talking about John Battle. They have made enormous strides since September, and they've got a decent shot of making the playoffs

Beating us tomorrow night is a must win for them... possibly Lee High, but I definitely don't see them beating Gate City or Union.

Well I would give my surprise team to the Cwood Bluedevils after only winning two games last season. If they can win two of the last three I might come back and give it to them.

But im gonna go with Hurley, people keep saying they havent played anybody but their 1A they dont have to worry about what any 2A school can do and there's just not many 1A thats gonna be a challenge for them until they meet PH and id say those two teams will see each other at some point.

The bust Team is got to be Ridgeview, I never was much in math but I guess this math works out, you put together 2 really good 1A programs and the math just dosent add up to 1 really good 2A program.

A few years ago I would of put Clintwood year after year up against alot of these 2A schools and they would of probably held their own but mix them with another good program in H aysi and they forget how to play.

Well I would give my surprise team to the Cwood Bluedevils after only winning two games last season. If they can win two of the last three I might come back and give it to them.

But im gonna go with Hurley, people keep saying they havent played anybody but their 1A they dont have to worry about what any 2A school can do and there's just not many 1A thats gonna be a challenge for them until they meet PH and id say those two teams will see each other at some point.

The bust Team is got to be Ridgeview, I never was much in math but I guess this math works out, you put together 2 really good 1A programs and the math just dosent add up to 1 really good 2A program.

A few years ago I would of put Clintwood year after year up against alot of these 2A schools and they would of probably held their own but mix them with another good program in H aysi and they forget how to play.

1 plus 1 sometimes don't =1 great school.The first year at Union we should have done a lot better but there was an adjustment period, we have improved every year and hope to continue that this year.Union high school didn't keep any of the shiny things from the past from APPALACHIA ORPOWELL VALLEY.The only thing that was kept was the slogan UNITED TOGATHER WE STAND ,DEVIDED WE FALL.Ridgeveiw has the talent(girls state champs)they have the great field, but something is missing, coach MULLINS is a good coach but they haven't turned that corner yet.I just wonder how many kids from HAYSI are walking the halls instead of playing?Mullins may be doing all he can ,but I would reach out to A.D. COLLEY and BEG for his advice and help