Basketball!!!

futbolking

I'm almost as excited about basketball this season as football. Can't wait.

Graham, Richlands, Bluefield should all field good teams again.

I agree 100%! I'm a super big football fan but I've been ready for basketball season to start back as soon as it was over. I think the west will be stacked again this year. Richlands, GC, Graham, Union, Martinsville, and Dan River should all have some very solid teams..... probably a few teams im forgetting to name in that group as well.

Graham should be better than last season.  They lost Workman and Clarke, but they have an extremely talented Point Guard in Baker coming up from J.V.  They will have some added size underneath.  Dalton should be a force to be reckoned with and the good news is they will have sophomores and juniors playing a lot of minutes.  Curto and Morgan will be seniors this season.

With Baker, Cooper, Allen, Curto,Martin, Morgan and company... Look for Graham to play a fast paced game.  They will have a good solid bench as well.....  Couple of kids with good size underneath to spell Dalton coming up from J.V.

So who is finishing 3rd behind union and gate city in 2a west only to lose to m'ville?

Martinsville lost 3 starters, including their big man.  I would be worried about Graham and Richlands before claiming 1st and 2nd.  They will both be better than last season. Dan River lost a key player to transfer.... I wouldn't be handing out any trophies just yet....  I'm sure Gate City and Union will be right there near the top, but some others will have a say in how things play out.

Folks in Tazewell Co. are excited about basketball season for good reason.

Martinsville will be really good but they lost 3 starters including their big man. I think Zanthus Hairston is back and a couple other guards that are good.....but I don't think they will be the same dominant team they were the last 2 years. I think Dan River will be the better between those 2 teams.

Graham and Richlands will both be really solid this year. And there won't be anyone at GC handing out trophies early. I think Union will give GC a tough time in district play and providing GC makes it into the post season....I'm sure Graham or Richlands will meet them in a hell of a matchup. I think GC will be good.....but just not sure how good. Barnes was a really good player and so was Qualls...and those guys are gone now. Wondering if Dean, Jenkins, and the other upcoming guys can pick up the slack. GC will have a bunch of good shooters on this team and will be really young....and still no true big man which will eventually bite GC in the a**! They need a legit post player to be a late season contender.

Martinsville will be really good but they lost 3 starters including their big man. I think Zanthus Hairston is back and a couple other guards that are good.....but I don't think they will be the same dominant team they were the last 2 years. I think Dan River will be the better between those 2 teams.

Graham and Richlands will both be really solid this year. And there won't be anyone at GC handing out trophies early. I think Union will give GC a tough time in district play and providing GC makes it into the post season....I'm sure Graham or Richlands will meet them in a hell of a matchup. I think GC will be good.....but just not sure how good. Barnes was a really good player and so was Qualls...and those guys are gone now. Wondering if Dean, Jenkins, and the other upcoming guys can pick up the slack. GC will have a bunch of good shooters on this team and will be really young....and still no true big man which will eventually bite GC in the a**! They need a legit post player to be a late season contender.

That is what some people up here are saying. People I know from Richlands and Graham believe this is their year to head to state. Group AA will be a dogfight next year as my guys told me the Bobcats are going up to AA from A next year? That should be fun to watch. All that I have heard about GC up here at Tech is that the McClung guy is a good athlete but not a strong guard as he can be erratic at times. I remember the Barnes guy last year and he can shoot it. If GC is as young as people say in some places I wouldn't expect a lot. Being inexperienced isn't good come playoff time. Richlands and Graham are strong. I would expect they will represent the West in a big way this year.

That is what some people up here are saying. People I know from Richlands and Graham believe this is their year to head to state. Group AA will be a dogfight next year as my guys told me the Bobcats are going up to AA from A next year? That should be fun to watch. All that I have heard about GC up here at Tech is that the McClung guy is a good athlete but not a strong guard as he can be erratic at times. I remember the Barnes guy last year and he can shoot it. If GC is as young as people say in some places I wouldn't expect a lot. Being inexperienced isn't good come playoff time. Richlands and Graham are strong. I would expect they will represent the West in a big way this year.

McClung not a strong guard?  LOL-you need a better informant.

JW, who else from SWVA in the last 10 years or so has went D1 on a basketball scholarship?

Outside of Caleb Tanner from Floyd County (Radford), I'm having a hard time coming up with anyone.

Virginia is a very, very poor state in terms of the Division I talent it produces in basketball. The little talent that does spring forth is almost always inner-city Richmond or a spattering of the 757.

I am not counting Oak Hill, which is populated by out-of-staters almost exclusively.

Ty Cannaday from Grayson County played briefly at Radford a couple of years ago before dropping his pursuit of basketball.  I do not believe he was ever a scholarship athlete though.  I believe he was a recruited/invited walk-on.