Basketball!!!

futbolking

Now Lowe has decided to okay basketball along with Howie and Booker. Former Richlands player Austin Adkinson talked them into playing. Saying he regrets not playing.

If he enjoys basketball he needs to play. It's one thing if you're Austin Fuller or Devon Johnson with a D1 commitment and you don't want to get hurt but at this point I'd say Lowe needs to play and enjoy a successful season.

Beamerball what are the expectations at Lee this year?  I saw they took Eastside to OT Monday and lost to the Cove by 12 last night.  Not sure how to take that for RC as they have taken lumps the last few years playing young kids and hoping this years JRs and Sophomores start to get them back in the W column a little more often.

Thats a wake-up call to the rest of the Cumberland, ive been hearing people say RC was gonna be the sleeper team in the district and this sure makes it look that away. Even if Lee is down they went to OT with ES and got beat by 12 to the Cove so it's gonna be interesting.

Beamerball what are the expectations at Lee this year?  I saw they took Eastside to OT Monday and lost to the Cove by 12 last night.  Not sure how to take that for RC as they have taken lumps the last few years playing young kids and hoping this years JRs and Sophomores start to get them back in the W column a little more often.

I really don't know much.  From what I remember of last year, they are probably still young.  I can't imagine they have much height either.  Roster I seen listed last year had only 3 players over 6'0" and they were all seniors.  Unless they picked up some newcomers, the jv didn't look to have much there either, so I would imagine they'll have a very small lineup. Guessing the same hc, so there's that too. The Stewart kid, who saw a good deal of time as freshman last year, returns and it looks like he led them in scoring the first two games with around 30 in both.  I guess he's taking up where Yeary left off.  They've got Volunteer and Burton next week, then the Cove again, Harlan County, and Volunteer again the following week.

I really don't know much. From what I remember of last year, they are probably still young. I can't imagine they have much height either. Roster I seen listed last year had only 3 players over 6'0" and they were all seniors. Unless they picked up some newcomers, the jv didn't look to have much there either, so I would imagine they'll have a very small lineup. Guessing the same hc, so there's that too.

Lee has a great assistant coach in Hackney. Was a really good player at GC and always did have a great basketball mind. I'm assuming he's still there this year...?

Thats a wake-up call to the rest of the Cumberland, ive been hearing people say RC was gonna be the sleeper team in the district and this sure makes it look that away. Even if Lee is down they went to OT with ES and got beat by 12 to the Cove so it's gonna be interesting.

RC has height.  If they take care of the ball they should be decent.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/high_schools/new-vhsl-state-tournament-format-highlights---timesland-basketball/article_8f6c4f7e-51d0-511e-927d-657fa9ae3fad.html

So, here is something I found out interesting... I knew about the VHSL having not only the quarterfinals at the super sites this year, but also the semifinals... HOWEVER, I did NOT know that higher seeds do NOT get to play at their closest super site.  That's ridiculous.  

The quarterfinals and semifinals will be held at six sites across the state over a three-day period from March 2-4.

The biggest change is that each site will host games only in a designated classification: Group 6A at Robinson High School in Fairfax, Group 5A at Old Dominion University, Group 4A at Salem Civic Center, Group 3A at VCU, Group 2A at James Madison University and Group 1A at Virginia High School in Bristol.

UVa-Wise will serve as the 1A site in 2017-18.

So, basically if Gate City boys were to somehow make it to 2A West region finals, or say if Ridgeview girls repeat as 2A West region champs... we'd have to go to JMU to play quarters and semis instead of Virginia High?  Possibly making two trips to Harrisonburg in a three day stretch? That's flat out wrong if you ask me.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/high_schools/new-vhsl-state-tournament-format-highlights---timesland-basketball/article_8f6c4f7e-51d0-511e-927d-657fa9ae3fad.html

So, here is something I found out interesting... I knew about the VHSL having not only the quarterfinals at the super sites this year, but also the semifinals... HOWEVER, I did NOT know that higher seeds do NOT get to play at their closest super site.  That's ridiculous.  

So, basically if Gate City boys were to somehow make it to 2A West region finals, or say if Ridgeview girls repeat as 2A West region champs... we'd have to go to JMU to play quarters and semis instead of Virginia High?  Possibly making two trips to Harrisonburg in a three day stretch? That's flat out wrong if you ask me.

I scratch my head at that as well... However, this is the VHSL attempt to centralize the quarters/semis. Bottom line (and it sucks) but we are kind of an outlier here in SWVA. It really does make more sense (sadly) to have the 2A games in a more centralized location like JMU. From SWVA it is around 4 hourish (unless you are Lee High and nothing is close lol). From the Va beach area is is roughly 4 hours to JMU as well. That is fair to me. 

The VHSL did throw us a bone and gave us the 1A quarters/semis for the next two years too which is cool. Essex to Bristol is a 5 and a half drive... imagine their gripe! 

It does suck they took the home court advantage away from the quarter finals though.

Yeah, I think when Lancaster came to UVa-Wise to play Eastside last season, I think their fans told me it was roughly a 7-8 hour trip one way....

Either way, sucks for 2A but !a is lucky. There will be some SOLID ball played at Bristol/Wise. Semi finals are cut throat.. everyone wants to get to the big game. 

Former Lee High/PV coach, Jerry Myers, is back in Lee also. He's coaching the Thomas Walker boys this season. Coached Volunteer girls for several years most recently.

The community feeling Myers has established with TWHS basketball is an amazing. We are blessed to have him on our sidelines.

First post, I appreciate this site and everything done to assist SWVA sports. I'll try to rely scores when possible to assist with the coverage or TWHS sports.

big game in Martinsville tonight as the defending 1a champion Bobcats pay a visit to the Doghouse and the two-time defending 2a champion Bulldogs.  Radford suffered their only defeat here a season ago in a 20 point blowout.  They are already 2-0 I believe along with 1 or 2 exhibition games.  the Dogs have only had a couple of practices with the entire squad present.    should make for a tough game for the Dogs, but I'm sure the guys are chomping at the bit to get started.

Dogs win by 19. Morton-Robertson suffered a concussion going in for a layup within the first 2 minutes and didn't return. Aaron Martin and newcomer TJ Pettway led the Dogs with 16 apiece.