Is the coal industry leaving killing the talent in this area.

UniON_FoOtBaLL

sounds like some egos need to let it go and have one collective league that serves the whole county, or a geographic region.

It used to be that way for many, many years but the "Twin County" area cannot get along for any reason whatsoever.  

I too believe that it is a combination of reasons. I think the biggest is the lack of jobs in the area other than coal mining. The need for manufacturing and other service related jobs contribute but you can't get those in the area because of the lack of access to the major transportation hubs (Highways, Railways and airports). There is also not a lot of tourist related jobs because of the lack of attractions and again the roads. The other reason falls on the access to tv, videos, and electronic games. Disappearing are the days when a bunch of kids get together at "Johnny's House" to play football or baseball and even basketball.

I too am one of those that left the area because of work and was gone for almost 30 yrs. I did return for a couple of years but there was nothing there and the crime and drug problems are bad. So with that you can't attract anything. Now I live out of state in an area where we can't build houses, apartments and schools fast enough because of the growth. The football programs (and baseball) programs have a lot of participation. And yes a bigger number of D1 and D2 level players (plus it seems that they grow bigger down here). They have a spring football practices and 7 on 7 games. 

I too believe that it is a combination of reasons. I think the biggest is the lack of jobs in the area other than coal mining. The need for manufacturing and other service related jobs contribute but you can't get those in the area because of the lack of access to the major transportation hubs (Highways, Railways and airports). There is also not a lot of tourist related jobs because of the lack of attractions and again the roads. The other reason falls on the access to tv, videos, and electronic games. Disappearing are the days when a bunch of kids get together at "Johnny's House" to play football or baseball and even basketball.

I too am one of those that left the area because of work and was gone for almost 30 yrs. I did return for a couple of years but there was nothing there and the crime and drug problems are bad. So with that you can't attract anything. Now I live out of state in an area where we can't build houses, apartments and schools fast enough because of the growth. The football programs (and baseball) programs have a lot of participation. And yes a bigger number of D1 and D2 level players (plus it seems that they grow bigger down here). They have a spring football practices and 7 on 7 games. 

Nope, now they connect over the internet and play Call-of-Duty.

Funny story. A friend of my oldest daughter came over for a sleepover a few weeks ago.  She ended up calling her mother to come get her before going to bed because my children don't own a video game console.  Her mother texted my wife later saying her daughter had said we were "abusing our children" by not allowing them to have video game consoles.  

For the record, we have never disallowed gaming consoles.  My children have simply never had an interest. 

Nope, now they connect over the internet and play Call-of-Duty.

Funny story. A friend of my oldest daughter came over for a sleepover a few weeks ago.  She ended up calling her mother to come get her before going to bed because my children don't own a video game console.  Her mother texted my wife later saying her daughter had said we were "abusing our children" by not allowing them to have video game consoles.  

For the record, we have never disallowed gaming consoles.  My children have simply never had an interest. 

That is a funny story.  Also a funny story and very true, is my 8 year old daughter got into the John Battle/Ridgeview game for free a few weeks ago, because she had her Kindle with her and was playing games on it and the guy taking money at the gate said, "Well, she ain't gonna be watching no game... go on in with your daddy sweetheart."

That is almost as funny as my two nieces sitting there watching the UT-UGA game, one an her Ipad and the other on her cell phone and when the Hail Mary pass was completed my niece Sarah looked up and said why is everyone going crazy and my brother-in-law just face palmed himself and said never mind! 

I watched a girls basketball team walk into a restaurant about a year ago. Every single one of them were looking down at their phones and one girl literally walked into a street sign. That was hilarious but I started thinking how sad it was that these kids weren't interacting at all. Remembering how much fun my friends and I had going to eat after the game. How hard we laughed with each other. These kids don't even know that the best moments of their lives are passing them by while they look down.

I watched a girls basketball team walk into a restaurant about a year ago. Every single one of them were looking down at their phones and one girl literally walked into a street sign. That was hilarious but I started thinking how sad it was that these kids weren't interacting at all. Remembering how much fun my friends and I had going to eat after the game. How hard we laughed with each other. These kids don't even know that the best moments of their lives are passing them by while they look down.

I was in a group behind several high school golfers who were preparing for regional play a few weeks ago at Blue Ridge Country Club.  A young lady who has a talent for the game unfortunately has a complete tool for a father.  He was constantly yelling at her for every missed fairway, green or putt.  After several holes of arguing back and forth, she gave up and inserted her face into a cell phone and disconnected from everything else while he kept yelling at her.  

While walking off the tee box on #11, she pulled her phone out of her back pocket and walked face first into the cart her father was riding. 

• 2 weeks later...

The following is not about the coal industry leaving killing talent...however, it is about the region being impacted overall by the decline in population and school enrollment.

An excerpt...

"Over the last few MONTHS, there has been a drastic decline in population and school enrollment. This trend is also occurring in areas of the Commonwealth that are not directly impacted by Coal"

The Bristol Herald Courier

Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2016 6:00 am

School solutions in Southwest Va. Keith Perrigan | Superintendent for Norton City Public Schools Haydee Robinson | Superintendent for Dickenson County Public Schools Greg Mullins | Superintendent for Wise County Public Schools

This will have massive impact long term, the only consolation for most of these schools system's is further consolidation, or consolidation in the county's not already consolidated. I believe the southern border counties like Scott and Washington can avoid a lot of this, as a lot of their residents work in Tennessee anyway. I have already heard rumors that Eastside and J.I Burton are on borrowed time and that they could be rolled into Central and Union really easily. The funding formula is going to have to change in order for the students in S.W Va. to have a chance, but in a post coal world this may become the new normal. 

Working in McDowell county the last 2 years. I know of one company that has interest/owns eleven mines. Some coal taken out one mine couple days back. Plenty of seams have more than 20 years of life. Mining technology has eliminated some mining jobs. A false science pushed by some scientists who want to be recognized by politicians that rather show carbon data that the Sierra club prefers. The governor of Virginia is part of that coalition , he should be in jail for his $ 600,000 bribe.

This will have massive impact long term, the only consolation for most of these schools system's is further consolidation, or consolidation in the county's not already consolidated. I believe the southern border counties like Scott and Washington can avoid a lot of this, as a lot of their residents work in Tennessee anyway. I have already heard rumors that Eastside and J.I Burton are on borrowed time and that they could be rolled into Central and Union really easily. The funding formula is going to have to change in order for the students in S.W Va. to have a chance, but in a post coal world this may become the new normal. 

Using the latest ADM numbers, Central + Eastside would equal 1100 students. Union + Burton would be 898. I guess Abingdon would have 2 more friends in 3A, but I think the next school in Wise Co to close will be Appalachia Elementary. Norton City is definitely on borrowed time. The school landscape in SWVA could be vastly different in 5-10 years than what it is today.

A couple of tidbits. Enrollment at Eastside in 2011 was 441 kids. It is now 407. Union and Central were both right at 675 in 2011. They are now at 659 and 693 respectively. Both schools were built for 750 students.