Tazewell Football

Gunz9

One thing that needs to be straight here.  Tazewell High School is fully accredited.  They have posted the HIGHEST Math and English scores in the county for 2 consecutive years.  They are the ONLY high school in Tazewell County that is Federally accredited.  (Check the Division Report Cards if you want to verify this).

The administration currently at THS is excellent and the school is performing well despite the negative stereotype by folks in other parts of the county.

Tazewell County Schools just underwent an academic review for accreditation.  THS was chosen to represent the county at the high school level and got very high marks (some of the highest the review board has ever given)  

The academic team at THS was state runners up last season and are poised to do just as well or better this season.

THS performs well at non-athletic competitions of all sorts.  I think a lot of schools should have the "culture" of THS.

Football is extra-curricular.... it's this other stuff that really matters.

One thing that needs to be straight here. Tazewell High School is fully accredited. They have posted the HIGHEST Math and English scores in the county for 2 consecutive years. They are the ONLY high school in Tazewell County that is Federally accredited. (Check the Division Report Cards if you want to verify this).

The administration currently at THS is excellent and the school is performing well despite the negative stereotype by folks in other parts of the county.

Tazewell County Schools just underwent an academic review for accreditation. THS was chosen to represent the county at the high school level and got very high marks (some of the highest the review board has ever given)

The academic team at THS was state runners up last season and are poised to do just as well or better this season.

THS performs well at non-athletic competitions of all sorts. I think a lot of schools should have the "culture" of THS.

Football is extra-curricular.... it's this other stuff that really matters.

This I appreciate. I went to Tazewell and we have always had this stereotype. My education was second to none. Sometimes it isn't always about what happens on Friday night. Yes football is a religion here with the highest population of it denomination but there are other things to life. Our baseball and softball teams compete and compete well. Soccer has picked up. Academic team and forensics place in state. All of the bashing is ridiculous. It's like we are the Cubs pre 2016. What would help is if we get back on track. 3 competitive teams in one county would be amazing just like the old days. Forget the coaching revolving door. Wyatt was a good coach and left bc of parent involvement ( our kryptonite). Smith didn't want to be here nor did we want him, but it was June or July and we needed a coach. He couldn't have cared less and I hate him as the VHigh coach when we rocked them for a region championship and wanted to ruin any bit of celebration we had. Tate couldn't control himself, keeping it G rated for the Christian folk. Allen is a good man and made his mistakes along the way. He will learn from it, Just like our community should. Let the coach do his job, including discipline.

Uncoachable kids become unemployable adults. Let's someone else be hard on your kids for once. You can't save them in the real world.

Barry is drawing his VA retirement while being paid in TN. No way he comes back to VA. He is breaking the bank double dipping! 

Barry can be hired as a coach without effecting his VRS retirement,its called a contract employee.As a law enforcement officer we can retire and work as a cop as a contract employee, meaning that there is no retirement paid into VRS, and we have no benefits. Granted he may have a better deal in TN. but it can be done, question is,how bad does the BULLDOGS want to be STATE CHAMPS?ENOUGH to pay him or settle for an in-proven coach.GRAHAM has proved that they have a winner, and so does UNION.I have read somewhere that KEVIN SAUNDERS wants to come back????lord help us if he does, there will be a beast wearing BULLDOG green.

After reading all of these posts, it appears that the Tazewell football program needs an outsider to come in. Kevin S., no disrespect intended, is definitely not the man for the job. Barry Jones is one heck of a coach, but VRS could be a problem. You need someone who doesn't know the parents or political connections. Someone who has the experience and knows how to handle the parents, etc.

Like I posted before, I know someone who would be what Tazewell needs. Might take the job if he can bring 2 of his assistant coaches along. One other thing, these 3 characters hate losing.

After reading all of these posts, it appears that the Tazewell football program needs an outsider to come in. Kevin S., no disrespect intended, is definitely not the man for the job. Barry Jones is one heck of a coach, but VRS could be a problem. You need someone who doesn't know the parents or political connections. Someone who has the experience and knows how to handle the parents, etc.

Like I posted before, I know someone who would be what Tazewell needs. Might take the job if he can bring 2 of his assistant coaches along. One other thing, these 3 characters hate losing.

Sounds like what Tazewell could use, get them some applications.

Why wouldn't Saunders be the man for the job? I do not think he knows anyone and he definitely turns programs around. Also pretty dag on disciplined regarding player attitudes. 

reason #1 and the only reason is because he couldn't control his attitude. Tazewell needs a HC that doesn't bow to the parents but also cant get in shouting/cussing matches with them either and w/ Saunders that could very well happen

I can agree with that. I know the guy is a loose cannon but in a way I feel Tazewell needs that. 

Tazewell is not a place many people will want to come mainly due to talent level and parent involvement. 

Best case scenario is they get a guy like Saunders who really does not care what people think... literally. 

That's exactly what they need but maybe some that's not such a loose cannon, or they would be hiring a new HC in a couple of years

Valid point. I have not heard recently how Saunders behavior is since JJ Kelly. Somewhat lost track of him once he went to Gretna so I am unsure if he ever got his act together dealing with the parents. 

He had a lot of success at Gretna but they were devoted 100% to winning football games and may have overlooked some stuff, I really don't know. Its been a decade or more since he was at JJK, maybe hes mellowed out a little

He had a lot of success at Gretna but they were devoted 100% to winning football games and may have overlooked some stuff, I really don't know. Its been a decade or more since he was at JJK, maybe hes mellowed out a little

God I would hope so. I remember hearing some stories and thinking to myself "what in the world is this guy thinking". 

Why wouldn't Saunders be the man for the job? I do not think he knows anyone and he definitely turns programs around. Also pretty dag on disciplined regarding player attitudes.

. Just would not be what they need. Need someone who not only can turn the program around, remold attitudes, that includes the parents to, and provide stability to the program. Someone who will come in on day one and tell it like it's going to be. We are here to build a winning program, if you want to be a part of that, great, if not, that's fine also. We will do it our way.

Barry can be hired as a coach without effecting his VRS retirement,its called a contract employee.As a law enforcement officer we can retire and work as a cop as a contract employee, meaning that there is no retirement paid into VRS, and we have no benefits. Granted he may have a better deal in TN. but it can be done, question is,how bad does the BULLDOGS want to be STATE CHAMPS?ENOUGH to pay him or settle for an in-proven coach.GRAHAM has proved that they have a winner, and so does UNION.I have read somewhere that KEVIN SAUNDERS wants to come back????lord help us if he does, there will be a beast wearing BULLDOG green.

You are missing the point, I'm pretty sure he is still a fulltime employee in TN...and that's a good chunk of change for a teacher who has 30+ years in. On top of that, he's getting paid to coach and still drawing VRS. If he came back to VA, he would lose a ton of money.

You are missing the point, I'm pretty sure he is still a fulltime employee in TN...and that's a good chunk of change for a teacher who has 30+ years in. On top of that, he's getting paid to coach and still drawing VRS. If he came back to VA, he would lose a ton of money.

In addition, Barry's wife still works at the USPS in Kingsport, and she and Barry are Kingsport natives. At this point in their lives, I doubt they would be interested in pulling up stakes to move to Tazewell. 

Don't quote me on it. But rumor is they done hired a coach. Supposed to be announced on dec. 12th. I don't know who it is. I wonder anybody heard about this rumor??

Haven't heard anything, but my guess is Harris!

It would be very tough for Tazewell to make a run with those kids as freshmen, I don't care who the coach is. The core is there, lineman will need to be developed and parents need to be put in there place. Talent pool is changing as is work ethic.

Still taking applications, no interviews yet.