graham, union richlands

jarhead24219

Ihave watched these boards for years and every year Union kinda gets put in the "LUCKY" or "WILL GET YOU NEXT TIME".This year we have all talked about how good GRAHAM is, and they are, we also have talked about how RICHLANDS won the game against GRAHAM only because GRAHAM took its foot off the gas.I can see UNION competing with anyone because when RICHLANDS beat us in OT, we had a 10th grader in his second start at QB,and he is light years now from where he was.I will agree that GRAHAM has playmakers everywhere and that RICHLANDS has JLA and some great wideouts, I think UNION HAS THE BEST LINE,and Mitchell has proven he is a playmaker on both sides of the ball as well as kick returns. EVEN the coaching staffs seem even TRAVIS TURNER has proven he can do more with less for years,GRAHAMS coach is making a BEAST over there and MANCE...IS MANCE ,GREAT coach and loves his kids.

I hope UNION gets to the 3rd round ,but first they have to play and beat LEE again and that's never easy, good luck to the WEST and I think ,whomever wins state will be from the west

Ihave watched these boards for years and every year Union kinda gets put in the "LUCKY" or "WILL GET YOU NEXT TIME".

I don't think that way.  As a matter of fact, I feel like Richlands matches up against Graham better than they do Union.  Union was able to put significant pressure on JLA.

I think you underestimate Graham. I have them in then state final. Cousin is the real deal. Union would rather face Richlands than Graham IMO because we've shown we can go toe to toe w them on the road and took Union collapsing and Richlands catching fire for us to blow a lead. Graham probably isn't as strong at the LOS as Union, but when you have the vest RB in 2A, it's hard to bet against. And the QB is far from a slouch. Graham was right with Union til Cousin went down last year.

Union's season will be over if not next week, then in two weeks for sure.  It will be hard enough to get past Dan River at their place, there's literally 0% chance they'll beat Appomattox.

Graham's road is slightly easier, but not by much.  Possible second round game with Martinsville and then the likely third round game with Richlands.

I think you underestimate Graham. I have them in then state final. Cousin is the real deal. Union would rather face Richlands than Graham IMO because we've shown we can go toe to toe w them on the road and took Union collapsing and Richlands catching fire for us to blow a lead. Graham probably isn't as strong at the LOS as Union, but when you have the vest RB in 2A, it's hard to bet against. And the QB is far from a slouch. Graham was right with Union til Cousin went down last year.

I agree for the most part.  If, Graham and Richlands meet in the third, I think the winner will be in the finals.  However, assuming both teams make it to the second round, Graham will more than likely face a very dangerous Martinsville team.  I think Glenvar will be making a trip to Richlands (not rooting for them, just saying.)  I think Glenvar is just good enough to give Richlands problems.  Traditionally they have big linemen and can pound the football.  Right now I think Graham is THE most dangerous team in the playoffs.  Richlands needs to get hot and stay hot.

Union's season will be over if not next week, then in two weeks for sure.  It will be hard enough to get past Dan River at their place, there's literally 0% chance they'll beat Appomattox.

Graham's road is slightly easier, but not by much.  Possible second round game with Martinsville and then the likely third round game with Richlands.

0% you say? Sure hope the Union kids aren't as cynical.

Appo isn't as good as last year, and Richlands, a team Union beat in regular season last year, led Appo in 4th Q and no offense Blues fans collapsed to let Appo win.

Appo is very good, but not unbeatable.

Graham has the best shot outta the three cause of the amount of athletes they have but the Richlands coaches are masters at game plans and preparing the players. Union is solid, Mitchell and Fannon are as legit as your going get as players. I just don't think Union has what it takes this year to get past the 2nd or 3rd round.

I think Graham has a lot of talent.  The matchup with Richlands scares me to death because they out-coached Graham big time last game.  Graham changed the offensive game plan when they shouldn't have.  Spread them out and get the ball to Cousin or Cooke for goodness sake!!!.  Richlands made a small adjustment on offense and Graham never adjusted their defense to stop it.  Haven't seen Union, but knowing that they were toe to toe with Richlands is enough for me.  Wouldn't be surprised to see any of these 3 win the West over Appomattox or Dan River.  

Graham has the best shot outta the three cause of the amount of athletes they have but the Richlands coaches are masters at game plans and preparing the players. Union is solid, Mitchell and Fannon are as legit as your going get as players. I just don't think Union has what it takes this year to get past the 2nd or 3rd round.

I take it you haven't watched Union play. There's absolutely no shortage of athletes at Union.

Union has the absolute hardestr road possible, on the road in second round at Dan River then at Appo, but I believe if Union can play at peak potential, they can beat anyone. Proved that last year knocking off Glenvar. Road games haven't been as kind to Union, but I'm hoping last years humbling by Clarke has shown them you have to be at your peak on the road. The score was somewhat deceiving last season, Union had three turnovers in first quarter. Going by score you'd think Union didn't belong but the actual game proved they did.

It absolutely won't be easy, but if somehow Union won two road games at DR then Appo, they'd have to be favorite. Appo is beastly, but Richlands had em beat and let them off the hook. They aren't unbeatable.

there's literally 0% chance they'll beat Appomattox.

More like a 50% chance. Either you win and advance, or you lose and go home. EVERY team has at least a 50% chance of winning every game

Hopefully if my Spartans get past Marion they can take down the Raiders so that we won't have to worry about them ;) all jokes aside I do think Giles can play with any of the top 5. Losing to Graham, Galax, and Glenvar by a total of 12 points is impressive for a rebuilding Giles team. Had chapman played in those 3 games, and Giles switch tailbacks earlier the Spartans could be 10-0 with the #1 seed. Not saying that they could have beat Graham and not saying that they will beat Graham if they ever meet again, but I think Giles will surprise Appo. First priority is the Hurricanes. Good luck to all teams tomorrow and Saturday!

I take it you haven't watched Union play. There's absolutely no shortage of athletes at Union.

Yeah, I have. Actually I've praised Union on here the whole season for the talent they have on both sides of the ball and how good of a team they are. Not sure how you missed all them positive post I've made about Union this season.

Union can play with & possibly beat any of the top 3 or 4 teams in the west,  as they proved when they played at Richlands earlier in the year,  but,  the only thing for me as far as Unions chance to make it to Salem is the fact of them having to travel to DR in the 2nd round and then having to possibly turn right around and travel again in the 3rd to face Appo,  man,  that is a gauntlet right there.  If they can pull off beating those 2 in back to back road games,  that would be championship worthy..........at least IMHO !

That is assuming of course that the higher seeds all win, and you know what they say about assuming anything........

Cousin is very good. I think Cooke May be a little better. He can hurt you 3 ways, rec. run, and returns.

Everyone is counting union out. Just let me remind everyone appo lost their starting rb last Friday for the year. They said he may miss the basketball season. For all the richlands fans he is the one that scored in ot

Hopefully if my Spartans get past Marion they can take down the Raiders so that we won't have to worry about them ;) all jokes aside I do think Giles can play with any of the top 5. Losing to Graham, Galax, and Glenvar by a total of 12 points is impressive for a rebuilding Giles team. Had chapman played in those 3 games, and Giles switch tailbacks earlier the Spartans could be 10-0 with the #1 seed. Not saying that they could have beat Graham and not saying that they will beat Graham if they ever meet again, but I think Giles will surprise Appo. First priority is the Hurricanes. Good luck to all teams tomorrow and Saturday!

Just for my own curiosity, I ran a scenario with a 10-0 Giles, and all other games as they turned out. This is what it would have looked like.

1.) Appomattox 10-0  290  29
2.) Giles             10-0  282  28.2
3.) Dan River       9-1  270  27
4.) Richlands       9-1  269  26.9
5.) Graham         8-2  259  25.9 Tie
6.) Union             9-1  259  25.9 Tie
7.) Martinsville    7-3  228  22.8
8.) Glenvar         7-3  218  21.8

According to VHSL Reference's game simulator, we have a 16% chance of beating Appo, thank you very much. Lol.

Union's road is definitely going to be tough. As long as they stay healthy, they'll be competitive against DR and Appo.