Richlands vs. Appomattox; 2A State Championship Game

V-Cats

Well, no one has started this thread yet so I figured I'd jump in the ring.

Many will comment that the availability of Cody Howie could make a difference, but I'm not convinced. He may certainly make it a closer game, but this Appomattox team has no visible flaws, and we have a few. Blues will hang in there, but I still see the Raiders winning by ~14

For Richlands to actually be an underdog, that shows just how good this Appo team is. Mance will make sure this team is as ready as they can be. Win or lose, we are still one of the 2 best teams in the state, and that's all you can ask for. There are 50+ other teams who would love our spot. 

For Richlands to actually be an underdog, that shows just how good this Appo team is. Mance will make sure this team is as ready as they can be. Win or lose, we are still one of the 2 best teams in the state, and that's all you can ask for. There are 50+ other teams who would love our spot. 

Very well put! Strange things happen in Championship games. Richlands has a better shot than anyone to knock off Appo this week... lol

Yea,  the blues will have to play as near perfect a game as they can,  and it still may not be enough,  but strange things have and do happen and the ball takes some funny bounces at times so you just never know !

The blues can just relax and throw everything and the kitchen sink at them this week and see what happens.  As a big blue fan I just can't make myself say that we have no chance because I believe in and love these kids and coaches,  I am so proud of the season they have had.  

Win or lose,  it's been a fantastic season and they can hold their heads up high and remember this year for the rest of their lives ! 

Thanks to the fans of other teams on here that have shown support for us !!

One question for everyone how is it that appo has gotten so much better than last year and the blues so much worse. The blues handled them just fine last year until the last six min of regulation. They never touched the blues side of the field until the end of the game. I'm just saying I don't see us as big of an underdog as you all say. Yes they are a great team but hey also know the only team that came even close to beating them last year was the blues that's in their minds to

Appomattox - 45

Richlands - 14

And there's no shame in that. 2016 Appomattox is the best 2A team since the pure 6A switch 5 seasons ago, and would be be right up there with, and perhaps the best of, the greats of D2 and D3 of the 2000s.

I hope Richlands pulls the upset. It would be the biggest upset in a state title game that I can ever remember. I badly want to see young men from this area succeed, because a lot of folks from SWVA don't have the advantages that other young men from other parts of this state have. It isn't like NOVA, where their young men are born on 3rd base thinking they hit a triple. Our young men scratch and claw for any bit of that which can be earned.

I wish them the best. I hope the seniors go out into the world and make themselves, their communities, and all SWVA proud. I hope the underclassmen use this as fuel for next season when the playing field will be a bit more level.

From the movie Little Giants, "There is always that one time."Appomattox may win 99 out of 100 games between the two teams, but there is only one shot. Sports are a great metaphor for life. Football especially, teaches us to overcome adversity and beat the odds. Anything can happen, and I believe in the Blues. I have read or seen it too many times. David beats Goliath. The Giants beat the Patriots in 2007. Unfortunately, I also remember Harrisonburg over Graham (2001),and Turner Ashby (2005) and Poquoson (2010) over Richlands. Either way, the underdog won.

From the movie Little Giants, "There is always that one time."Appomattox may win 99 out of 100 games between the two teams, but there is only one shot. Sports are a great metaphor for life. Football especially, teaches us to overcome adversity and beat the odds. Anything can happen, and I believe in the Blues. I have read or seen it too many times. David beats Goliath. The Giants beat the Patriots in 2007. Unfortunately, I also remember Harrisonburg over Graham (2001),and Turner Ashby (2005) and Poquoson (2010) over Richlands. Either way, the underdog won.

That 2001 Graham team, when properly hinged, was the most overpowering and dominant team that I've seen since the calendar rolled over to the 2000s. Unfortunately, that team had a tendency to become unhinged mentally. Let's just say that they overestimated their worth and treated Harrisonburg like they were Patrick County.

That 2001 Graham team, when properly hinged, was the most overpowering and dominant team that I've seen since the calendar rolled over to the 2000s. Unfortunately, that team had a tendency to become unhinged mentally. Let's just say that they overestimated their worth and treated Harrisonburg like they were Patrick County.

I left Lynchburg dumbfounded that night. It seemed like everything went right for Harrisonburg (fake punt, example) and wrong for Graham.

Unfortunately, the state finals haven't been as good in the 2000s as the 90s in 1A 2A, 3A equivalents to SWVA. It seemed like almost every year an area team won it all then, sometimes multiple teams (see 1997).Since then, GW-2002, GC-2003, Richlands-2006, GC-2010, Clintwood-2011, GW-2012, Giles 2013 and Galax in 2015. Forgive me if I missed one, but that is 8 out of a possible 48 over 3 divisions. PV and Appalachia exceeded that by themselves in the 90s.

I left Lynchburg dumbfounded that night. It seemed like everything went right for Harrisonburg (fake punt, example) and wrong for Graham.

The refs allowed Harrisonburg's defensive line to repeatedly take out Graham's offensive line by hitting them below the knees and their linebackers came up to make plays against Graham's running game.   Also, Graham abandoned the slant passes and short routes in the passing game and kept going with the deep sideline patterns (in the cold rain)... I was dumbfounded as well.  They totally abandoned what had gotten them there.

Harrisonburg was very good, however.  They had Hakeem Jordan that season, who eventually played linebacker for the Philadelphia Eagles.

One advantage I notice that richlands has by looking at Appomattox roster..height on the outside at wr. Now obviously that becomes less without howie. But based on their listings appo only has one guy at corner or safety that's taller than 5'10 and that is graves. May not make a lick of difference, but something to think about.

If the same Richlands team from the Draft game shows up Saturday then they lose by a lot. Way too many penalties and turnovers. If the Richlands team that pounded Graham shows up, then I think they have a chance to make it a game. It will be hard without Howie. IMO the offense is centered around him. And not at all trying to disrespect JLA but after watching him in 3 games this season, I don't think he is as accurate a quarterback as made out to be. He just has good receivers that find the ball and can jump. Most of his passes against Draft were just lob passes but maybe I just see what others don't. I hope the Blues can pull off the upset.

If the same Richlands team from the Draft game shows up Saturday then they lose by a lot. Way too many penalties and turnovers. If the Richlands team that pounded Graham shows up, then I think they have a chance to make it a game. It will be hard without Howie. IMO the offense is centered around him. And not at all trying to disrespect JLA but after watching him in 3 games this season, I don't think he is as accurate a quarterback as made out to be. He just has good receivers that find the ball and can jump. Most of his passes against Draft were just lob passes but maybe I just see what others don't. I hope the Blues can pull off the upset.

Not sure how accurate you expect a qb to be. Especially a 17 year old. Ive seen NFL qbs with worse accuracy. Of course hes not gonna put it right on the money every single pass but hes probably the best ive seen in high school. Also, youre saying at least 17 of his completions in the Draft game were just thrown up. Were you blindfolded? I can only recall maybe 3 or 4. Take a look at the video on that last TD catch. While it was an ill advised throw into double coverage it was perfect placement. High enough and deep enough where only Ball could make the play. look at the fact how many receivers have multiple receptions and touchdowns. Collins,Lowe, Brown, Horn, and Booker. Anyone who comes in is productive. Its not just his receivers. Not sure how accurate people make him out to be as you were saying but hes no Tom Brady.

I do agree that it will be tough without Howie but I do know that Scottie Ball had a good game against Appo last year. And he definitely showed yesterday that you can't underestimate him. With Howie out, Appo may very well be doubling to Scottie's side but that could open things up for Booker, Horn, Collins, Brown. Either way, I am so proud of this Richlands team. They showed a lot of heart and never quit yesterday. Good luck to the Blues.

Not sure how accurate you expect a qb to be. Especially a 17 year old. Ive seen NFL qbs with worse accuracy. Of course hes not gonna put it right on the money every single pass but hes probably the best ive seen in high school. Also, youre saying at least 17 of his completions in the Draft game were just thrown up. Were you blindfolded? I can only recall maybe 3 or 4. Take a look at the video on that last TD catch. While it was an ill advised throw into double coverage it was perfect placement. High enough and deep enough where only Ball could make the play. look at the fact how many receivers have multiple receptions and touchdowns. Collins,Lowe, Brown, Horn, and Booker. Anyone who comes in is productive. Its not just his receivers. Not sure how accurate people make him out to be as you were saying but hes no Tom Brady.

It's just my opinion guy. I'm a huge fan of Richlands but I call it as I see it. He is a good qb, but I wouldn't go as far to say that JLA is the best qb I've ever seen in high school. After watching him and Sturgill this season I think that Sturgill is a better qb but not the best I've ever seen.

I understand it was your opinion and respect it. Just felt i should comment on it and tell how i see it. However, saying the majority of his passes were lob passes is not an opinion but a false statement. As far as Sturgill goes i cant make the comparison. They are different QBs. But from the 5 or so times ive seen Sturgill he wasnt quite as accurate as JLA but of course, more mobile. Ive not watched high school ball for the last 20 years so ive not seen a lot. But hes the best true passer that ive seen. Just curious, who was the best qb youve seen?