Pitch Count new for 2017

jjkfan

It will be a pain all the way around.  The home team is going to be charged with keeping the counts for each team is my guess and reporting said counts. The only issue with trying to leave it to a field ump, is what if something happens and only one ump shows up, or the more likely scenario if an umpire is injured during the game.  

It will be a pain all the way around.  The home team is going to be charged with keeping the counts for each team is my guess and reporting said counts. The only issue with trying to leave it to a field ump, is what if something happens and only one ump shows up, or the more likely scenario if an umpire is injured during the game.  

Or they are too incompetent to do the job... let's be honest, calling out and safe is already a task for most field umps... lol. 

In all honesty, it will be a mess all the way around. Get used to looking in the paper and seeing 20+ run games. 

What is the pitch count going down to, i thought where is was set at was fine, what the heck are they going to now?

I pitched every other game in highschool and through the whole game and have no clue what my pitch count got up to and I never remember having arm troubles, its all about warming up correctly and getting the proper treatment after a game. But ofcourse im no doctor and was ok with a pitch count as long as it isnt ridiculous.

VHSL must adapt a pitch count rule to meet NFHS guidelines.  VHSL has had an innings-based rule in place for a number of years which NFHS will no longer permit.  

I agree with the policy, personally.  Far to many coaches have abused the innings-based rule through the years.  See Galax-Honaker from May for further example.

In my opinion, a contributing factor is the lack of quality umpiring.  I have worked games in the past with guys who have a zone the size of a frisbee.  Those guys ultimately cause pitchers to have to throw more pitches.  I get some kids are wild, especially at the high school age and level.  But a lot of umpires squeeze the life out of these kids and reward the hitter as a result.  The biggest compliment I received as a plate umpire was when a coach would tell me his pitchers loved having me behind the plate.  I never felt I rewarded the pitchers unfairly but I certainly didn't reward the hitter, like many do. 

But, as with a lot of things, the strike zone is subjective and open to interpretation.

VHSL must adapt a pitch count rule to meet NFHS guidelines. VHSL has had an innings-based rule in place for a number of years which NFHS will no longer permit.

I agree with the policy, personally. Far to many coaches have abused the innings-based rule through the years. See Galax-Honaker from May for further example.

In my opinion, a contributing factor is the lack of quality umpiring. I have worked games in the past with guys who have a zone the size of a frisbee. Those guys ultimately cause pitchers to have to throw more pitches. I get some kids are wild, especially at the high school age and level. But a lot of umpires squeeze the life out of these kids and reward the hitter as a result. The biggest compliment I received as a plate umpire was when a coach would tell me his pitchers loved having me behind the plate. I never felt I rewarded the pitchers unfairly but I certainly didn't reward the hitter, like many do.

But, as with a lot of things, the strike zone is subjective and open to interpretation.

Or maybe it's the travel ball games the same kids play. 8 games in two days with 10 players. No way to govern that but let's strangle the ones we can. Travel ball is killing arms, not high school. Aseball

Or maybe it's the travel ball games the same kids play. 8 games in two days with 10 players. No way to govern that but let's strangle the ones we can. Travel ball is killing arms, not high school. Aseball

I never played "travel" baseball and had surgery at 17. Pitched every other game and played short when I wasn't on the mound for the better part of 8 years.

I agree travel ball contributes but doing nothing is still a choice, a poor choice at that. Change has to begin somewhere.

Overall the baseball has been dismal at best in Southwest Virginia for some time now. This will only make things worse.

It will until the smarter coaches in SWVA get in the ear of their little league coaches and get them to develop 5-6 arms in every group of kids. Then it will improve.

NFHS Rule 2-35-1  Strike Zone:  halfway between shoulders and waistline to knees.

Lawyered...

NFHS Rule 2-35-1  Strike Zone:  halfway between shoulders and waistline to knees.

Lawyered...

Is that while standing upright, squatted in a batting stance or while changing posture during the process of the pitch?

Is that while standing upright, squatted in a batting stance or while changing posture during the process of the pitch?

I would interpret that as "normal batting stance"...the guy in the pic above is not in a "normal batting stance".  "Normal batting stance" never changes...the only thing that would/could change the strike zone is the height of the batter...

7848827.jpg

I would interpret that as "normal batting stance"...the guy in the pic above is not in a "normal batting stance".  "Normal batting stance" never changes...the only thing that would/could change the strike zone is the height of the batter...

7848827.jpg

I would consider Altuve to have a conventional batting stance, the other guy, not so much.  Using his picture above, my zone would be between the bottom of "Astros" to the contrast between his pants and socks.  May be slightly larger than most but like I said earlier, I was always pitcher friendly.   

I would consider Altuve to have a conventional batting stance, the other guy, not so much.  Using his picture above, my zone would be between the bottom of "Astros" to the contrast between his pants and socks.  May be slightly larger than most but like I said earlier, I was always pitcher friendly.   

Your strike zone is a bit larger than mine would be...I'd use his knees.  Knees are knees, as clearly defined by the rule, the tops of his socks are below his knees, so, BALL...

Your strike zone is a bit larger than mine would be...I'd use his knees.  Knees are knees, as clearly defined by the rule, the tops of his socks are below his knees, so, BALL...

I should clarify, not all players wear pants and socks the way Altuve does in the photo.  I have never used clothing as a barometer.

In my mind, if the top of the ball crosses the bottom of the knee, STRIKE.  Same situation horizontally, if I see the right side of the ball across the left edge of the plate, STRIKE.  

Most guys I worked with would want to see the entire ball within the confines of their zone.  I only needed to see a portion of the ball within the zone.

I should clarify, not all players wear pants and socks the way Altuve does in the photo. I have never used clothing as a barometer.

In my mind, if the top of the ball crosses the bottom of the knee, STRIKE. Same situation horizontally, if I see the right side of the ball across the left edge of the plate, STRIKE.

Most guys I worked with would want to see the entire ball within the confines of their zone. I only needed to see a portion of the ball within the zone.

Where were you guys when I was playing? I've had strikes called on me on balls that bounced 5 feet in front of home plate; on balls that grazed my jersey; and I've had a SO called (and upheld) in a 2-pitch AB. And this is at the high school JV and varsity level.

The typical strike zone for me was from my shoulders to my shins, and a foot off either side of the plate. It is not a coincidence that SWVA pitchers mounted some insane ERAs and SO totals during the late '90s and early '00s.

Eric Gregg would have blushed at some of the s*** that qualified as umpiring in my day.

Where were you guys when I was playing? I've had strikes called on me on balls that bounced 5 feet in front of home plate; on balls that grazed my jersey; and I've had a SO called (and upheld) in a 2-pitch AB. And this is at the high school JV and varsity level.

The typical strike zone for me was from my shoulders to my shins, and a foot off either side of the plate. It is not a coincidence that SWVA pitchers mounted some insane ERAs and SO totals during the late '90s and early '00s.

Eric Gregg would have blushed at some of the s*** that qualified as umpiring in my day.

I was working some USSSA games with my cousin in Charlotte several years ago.  This particular game happened to be my rotation off so I was enjoying some shade, water and a hot dog.  My cousin was behind the plate.  Delino DeShields was coaching the team in the field and his sons were on the team.  His pitcher bounced a ball to the plate and Corey Seager hit it 400 feet over the scoreboard in right-center field.  Damnedest thing I ever saw!

DeShields immediately began arguing with my cousin that a pitched ball that bounces cannot be hit into fair territory legally.  I guess he thought everyone was supposed to be "star struck".  He kept screaming "do you know who I am".  He would eventually use some colorful language and not get to see the remaining 4 innings of the game.  A shame really, Seager put on a freakin show.