As of January 17 on Virginia Preps

HowTheWestWasWon2017

2A Hoops Top Ten (entering 1/17/17 games)

1 Robert E. Lee (Staunton)

12-1

2 Martinsville

10-1

3 Gate City

8-3

4 Richlands

10-1

5 Madison County

11-1

6 East Rockingham

12-2

7 Union

10-2

8 Dan River

5-2

9 Chatham

8-2

10 Graham

7-2

1A Hoops Top Ten (entering 1/17/17 games)

1 Chilhowie

11-1

2 Honaker

10-3

3 George Wythe (Wytheville)

9-1

4 Altavista

7-2

5 Radford

8-4

6 Essex

6-0

7 Eastside

10-3

8 Lancaster

6-2

9 Mathews

10-3

10 J.I. Burton

Richlands at 4? How?

That's easy, cause they're the self proclaimed Dream Team and their 1 loss looks good to the person doing the rankings. Now if they were to dig deeper into their record they would realize they haven't played much of anyone, especially in their District/Conference.

I've seen both Union and Richlands. Union is by far a better team based on the 1 game I've seen both play. I think Union should be above Richlands imo.

I haven't seen re lee or Martinsville but ive seen gatecity 3 times. hard to believe thers a better team than gatecity out there in 2a. I know gatecity has the best player in 2a in mcclung so I would put gatecity 1 for that reason.

Union will make some racket come post season time....There's not many kids on the 2A level (or any level for that matter) that will be able to stop Slagle and Mitchell complements him well. I dont know a whole lot about RE Lee but I was pretty sure MHS would beat them Saturday. From what I've heard Lee doesn't have the guard play to beat a talented well rounded team....Just alot of talent in a couple players with not much team discipline. That's not me saying it....Just what I've heard several people saying. They've obviously got an abundance of talent though. Martinsville is gonna be a thorn in everyone's side again this year and I'd easily have them in my Top 3 and probably the #1 spot as of now for me. I think MHS, GC, Union, East Rock, and RE Lee are the Top 5 in no specific order. Also think Dan River is quietly going under the radar with a real talented team and could make some noise. Richlands and Graham are right there in the thick of things as well. (Will know more this week about where those 2 teams stand) All of the teams I mentioned I think could beat one another on any given night.

That's easy, cause they're the self proclaimed Dream Team and their 1 loss looks good to the person doing the rankings. Now if they were to dig deeper into their record they would realize they haven't played much of anyone, especially in their District/Conference.

I've seen both Union and Richlands. Union is by far a better team based on the 1 game I've seen both play. I think Union should be above Richlands imo.

Well it wasn't Union as much as teams like East Rock, Dan River, and Madison seems more impressive than Richlands.

I agree Union can make some noise in 2A, have a couple good wins and only loss in past ten games is GC, and won the tourney Richlands was supposed to win with ease, but Union will need to knock down outside shots when teams double Slagle and Mitchell.

I haven't saw Richlands play to be fair, but on resume alone, they aren't top five. Neither is Union right now IMO, RE Lee, Mavahi, GC, Madison, Rockingham and DR are all very, very good.

I say Mville is #1 untell they get eliminated in the post season. I know very little about RE Lee but I hear they have some big guys that have some talent. Gate City is solid and probably the most talented team GC has put on the court, but any team can go down any given night. The playoffs will be interesting to say the least. I just hope every game gets called fairly and the games are decided on the court without interference from the subpar officiating we've seen in swva for many years.

I say Mville is #1 untell they get eliminated in the post season. I know very little about RE Lee but I hear they have some big guys that have some talent. Gate City is solid and probably the most talented team GC has put on the court, but any team can go down any given night. The playoffs will be interesting to say the least. I just hope every game gets called fairly and the games are decided on the court without interference from the subpar officiating we've seen in swva for many years.

The way some games are called really hurt SWVA teams, they get accustomed to games being called very tightly and more seemingly random and then when the state tourney rolls around, games are usually more physical and consistently called.

Matchups will be a huge factor, as a team like Union would fare better against a half court oriented team that isn't very big, as the guards are not super experienced and lack size on the perimeter. A big team like Lee could really hurt Union with size inside, making it harder for Slagle to work in the paint. Not a lot of teams have a player that can guard Slagle, as he is truly a force inside and out but if you can funnel him inside and have some big, 6'6-6'7 forwards clogging the lane making it harder to Slagle to work inside and Mitchell to use his size and skill to create. I think MHS/GC are prob two best teams but I think Union matches up better against Mahavi or DR compared to Lee bc of size. Not saying Union can beat MHS, jus purely matchups wise. On the flip, I think GC destroys a team like Lee because they can be so effective from the outside. GC can turn the tempo up and kill a big, slow team with weak guard play but a team with good guards and athletic forwards can give GC fits.

These statewide rankings are almost always based strictly on W-L record, even though some schedules are as weak as water. Martinsville will likely lose a game or two more before the regular season is over. The Dogs have road trips to 4A GW, 5A Halifax and 6A Franklin County still to go. They'll definitely be prepped and ready for the post season though.

The way some games are called really hurt SWVA teams, they get accustomed to games being called very tightly and more seemingly random and then when the state tourney rolls around, games are usually more physical and consistently called.

Matchups will be a huge factor, as a team like Union would fare better against a half court oriented team that isn't very big, as the guards are not super experienced and lack size on the perimeter. A big team like Lee could really hurt Union with size inside, making it harder for Slagle to work in the paint. Not a lot of teams have a player that can guard Slagle, as he is truly a force inside and out but if you can funnel him inside and have some big, 6'6-6'7 forwards clogging the lane making it harder to Slagle to work inside and Mitchell to use his size and skill to create. I think MHS/GC are prob two best teams but I think Union matches up better against Mahavi or DR compared to Lee bc of size. Not saying Union can beat MHS, jus purely matchups wise. On the flip, I think GC destroys a team like Lee because they can be so effective from the outside. GC can turn the tempo up and kill a big, slow team with weak guard play but a team with good guards and athletic forwards can give GC fits.

Again, you are probably the same guy yelling 3 seconds and "call a foul" or even the notorious "over the back"

I was not aware Union made it "up state" before officiating wise? if you watched ANY of the games called last year in Richmond, you would gather that our officials arent that far off.... and in some cases better than what the rest of the state offers. 

Perspective from the north of the border (Roanoke):

If East Rock or Madison County stay out of foul trouble, both can beat just about anybody.  ER's best player is finally back after an ankle injury. They have played a tough schedule and done well.  MC lost their 2 big men in the pre-season (a 6'6 beast who was failing several classes so the BB coach basically told him not to come out), the other was a 6'7 shooting forward who lost a finger in a farm accident.  Most thought they would falter a bit this year but they have thrived (14-1 I think).  They only go 7 deep but are all basically interchangeable.  If they had those 2 brutes (and the freshman guard who transferred to a private school), I would pencil them in as an odds on favorite...but they don't.

Both ER and MC thrive when pressed, especially MC.  They go full court pressure from the tip.  ER has three kids who can light it up from dang near anywhere inside of half court.  Neither has a true "big" in the paint but both have done well v. teams with big men.  And maybe the mot impprtant thing, they both are well coached.  ER and Spotswood have a big non conference game coming up. 

I would not be surprised to see either of these teams in Richmond.  I personally do not think RE Lee will make it that far.  WAAAYYYY too undisciplined and sketchy guard play.

Again, you are probably the same guy yelling 3 seconds and "call a foul" or even the notorious "over the back"

I was not aware Union made it "up state" before officiating wise? if you watched ANY of the games called last year in Richmond, you would gather that our officials arent that far off.... and in some cases better than what the rest of the state offers.

I've never, ever complained about three seconds. And over the back isn't even a foul, only if contact is made. When someone outjumps someone from behind an makes no contact, it's not a foul.

And I never once mentioned Union playing in big games on the boys side, but the ladies made a serious run a couple years ago and had a huge error go against them by not counting a shot atnthe buzzer that was clearly good.

I said the games are usually called more consistently and often looser than SWVA games. Do you disagree? They pool the best graded refs for the biggest games IIRC, so naturally the games would be called more consistently, which is my biggest gripe.

Are you a referee? Is that why you're so defensive? I think I'm pretty fair on the officials, I'm actually on a first name basis with a couple.

"Moving screen" is my personal favorite to yell. And I'm always right when I yell at the refs.

But honestly is that not one of the biggest missed calls around here, illegal screens? I feel like it's rarely called and teams will exploit that by setting tons of illegal screens and daring the refs to call it every time.