Gate City @ Union (2/7)

Leatherhead Larry

Felty fouled out last night for battle with 4 minutes to go in the fourth, the officiating last night was terrible for both teams. You had one ref who would call every little touch and not the boys play while the other two hardly made any calls. I believe both teams got in the double bonus before the first and third quarters ended. 

Felty fouled out last night for battle with 4 minutes to go in the fourth, the officiating last night was terrible for both teams. You had one ref who would call every little touch and not the boys play while the other two hardly made any calls. I believe both teams got in the double bonus before the first and third quarters ended. 

I didn't see Steve Honaker last night at King, so I assume he was one of them.  If so, then that's your answer.

How did Union only get to the line 5 times? Any time Slagel gets in foul trouble or fouls out Union is in huge trouble. I saw Gate city didn't shoot a lot either seems like paper said 15 free throws maybe? Just a great defensive battle, let them play a little? Surprised me cause I think McClung Mitchell and Slagel hard to defend without fouling or without gameplanning to take them away ?

Didn't make it up to Wise, but the game was on the radio and video. There's no way around it, GC is just better. If Union ever wanted to beat them, it'll take more than 8 points from Mitchell, Garrison and Sharitt. Union did a better job against McClung (if holding someone to 27 is a success) and Ervin added 15 but didn't explode but the PG had a big night. Scotty was extremely respectful in quotes after the game about how good Union is, and while it's somewhat true, it's hard to tell because the conference is so top heavy and Union hasn't played a good OOC game against a 2A or higher opponent since December iirc. If GC truly is the best 2A team (I'd say they're top 3 for sure) then Union is legit top 10. If GC isn't quite as strong and just feasted on bad teams and can't beat teams like Martinsville, RE Lee, Dan River,etc.. then Union isn't a top ten team.

Dean did not play. He has the flu. Might also explain why he played so tentatively last night. 

Apparently lots of sick kids in the schools in Scott County. Was told that Twin Springs had a ton of kids out sick today. 

Final score GC 82 Ridgeview 58.

Grindstaff 6, Collier 6, Ervin 23, McClung 26, Vermillion 6, George 2, Noe 7, Jenkins 2, Sharpe 2, Compton 2

Believe we only dressed 10 players tonight. All 10 scored.

Just a normal night in the CMC. Wife of a Ridgeview coach threatened to kick Kelly Houseright's (girls varsity coach) behind.

Final score GC 82 Ridgeview 58.

Grindstaff 6, Collier 6, Ervin 23, McClung 26, Vermillion 6, George 2, Noe 7, Jenkins 2, Sharpe 2, Compton 2

Believe we only dressed 10 players tonight. All 10 scored.

Just a normal night in the CMC. Wife of a Ridgeview coach threatened to kick Kelly Houseright's (girls varsity coach) behind.

That would be Frazier's wife, head coach of the girls. Lmao. I didn't hear that part and she was sitting directly behind me... But I did hear her call the refs f'n a-holes and did get a talking to from one of Scott Countys finest.

Ridgeview actually led for the majority of the first quarter coming out on fire before cooling off. First quarter was fun anyway.

Yeah.,.....the first quarter was exciting. Ridgeview could not miss. What did they have........5 3s in the first?

That lady sure has a set of pipes on her. I was on the other end of the bleachers she was on and could hear some of what she said. Initially she was seated near the top of the bleachers. As the game progressed, she moved down closer to the floor and ended up behind the bench.

I did not hear her threaten GC's coach. I went out in the hall at some point and saw a GCHS employee. Could tell something was going on, so I asked him what was up. He told me about it.

We have a few "Scott County's Finest" who like to run their mouths. I'm all for cheering during the game and getting on the refs if you so choose, but getting into it with another fan is a line that should not be crossed.

Speaking of the refs..........they sure let the girls play. Always amazes me how the refs let the girls be so much more physical.

Havok...........who was the guy filming for RV? He was at the top of the bleachers on that platform reserved for video people. He also has a set of pipes. :)

Yeah.,.....the first quarter was exciting. Ridgeview could not miss. What did they have........5 3s in the first?

That lady sure has a set of pipes on her. I was on the other end of the bleachers she was on and could hear some of what she said. Initially she was seated near the top of the bleachers. As the game progressed, she moved down closer to the floor and ended up behind the bench.

I did not hear her threaten GC's coach. I went out in the hall at some point and saw a GCHS employee. Could tell something was going on, so I asked him what was up. He told me about it.

We have a few "Scott County's Finest" who like to run their mouths. I'm all for cheering during the game and getting on the refs if you so choose, but getting into it with another fan is a line that should not be crossed.

Speaking of the refs..........they sure let the girls play. Always amazes me how the refs let the girls be so much more physical.

Havok...........who was the guy filming for RV? He was at the top of the bleachers on that platform reserved for video people. He also has a set of pipes. :)

He is simply known as "Super Dave".  He is somewhat mentally challenged, (I think he had an accident when he was younger to cause this) so you'll have to excuse him.

Funny fact about him though, he was video guy for Haysi for MANY years back when I was in school, then I kid you not was recruited away by Richlands.  He worked for Richlands for two years and came back to Haysi.  He's been back in Dickenson County ever since.

I actually spoke to the cop who spoke to Frazier's wife, and apologized on our behalf for the behavior and he said not to worry about it, that normally he likes that stuff but then said if it was a Union fan she would've been out of there!  

I wished I would've seen the near altercation between Frazier and Houseright though.  Between her and McAmis, there should be a reality TV series filmed, called the Real Housewives of the Mountain District.  I think it would be a huge success in the TV ratings.  :)

Another thing I will say about our fans... and though I don't go to very many basketball games, I've noticed it at all the games I've been to this year... our fans pretty much leave after the girls game and don't even stick around for the boys.  I live in Bristol now and Bristol to Gate City is a nothing drive for myself, but if I still lived in Dickenson County (especially on the Haysi end of the county) and made that long haul to GC, I think I would get my money's worth and stay for both games.  Pretty sad when you think about it.

If Gate City and Ridgeview girls win their first round games next week, then the semis at Central should get very interesting.  Even though Ridgeview will probably have more fans there than GC, I suspect Central will be pulling hard for GC to beat us.