Clinch Mountain Conference tournament

swva_havok_fan

GC/Union Round 3. I will say GC wins by 20 this time around. Role players starting to show up for GC and it's in Union's head now.

GC 76-56

One of these days, I'd like to see this matchup. 

GC/Union Round 3. I will say GC wins by 20 this time around. Role players starting to show up for GC and it's in Union's head now.

GC 76-56

Well I think Union having nothing to play for will be a big reason if it's a blowout. Both teams are locked into the next round games, so Union may rest kids or not give their best effort.

Why even play the championship game and risk injury when it means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. In 38 Mavahi has to beat Glenvar to get the 1 seed and in 37 Dan River and Chatham play Friday with the winner get the 1 seed. At least the tournaments have some meaning.

Sneaking that pre excuse out?

I literally just said that they may rest kids and not play the starters full minutes. So if GC wins by 40 BC Union rests kids then it's a deceiving score. Union was within 15 when it counted, they know they can àt least stay in the game w GC, but if the youngsters get more run, a 25-plus point loss wouldn't really say much now would it?

If Union and GC both play starters the entire game and it's a high intensity game and Union loses by 20, well then GC kicked their ass.

I think it'd be dumb for either team to go full bore and really risk injury for a meaningless team, but if they do and GC rails them, then GC rails them. What's the excuse? What did I post that is incorrect?

I literally just said that they may rest kids and not play the starters full minutes. So if GC wins by 40 BC Union rests kids then it's a deceiving score. Union was within 15 when it counted, they know they can àt least stay in the game w GC, but if the youngsters get more run, a 25-plus point loss wouldn't really say much now would it?

If Union and GC both play starters the entire game and it's a high intensity game and Union loses by 20, well then GC kicked their ass.

I think it'd be dumb for either team to go full bore and really risk injury for a meaningless team, but if they do and GC rails them, then GC rails them. What's the excuse? What did I post that is incorrect?

Nope. That summed it up. Thanks

Both schools really want to beat each other, but I kind of agree with a couple of the others. The ONLY thing noteworthy that could come from this game is McClung/Slagle/Ervin/Mitchell having a serious injury that would knock them out of the rest of the playoffs. That would suck.

You have to play the game. GC should get a good gate. But, I would be very tempted to play the starters a quarter and let the bench finish the game.

I know.........you want to enter the Region with some momentum. Understand that.

I just see nothing good that could come from this game for GC. GC wins.......they were supposed to win.

Game is more important for Union. Both teams play to win and Union wins.........great confidence booster.

Why even play the championship game and risk injury when it means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. In 38 Mavahi has to beat Glenvar to get the 1 seed and in 37 Dan River and Chatham play Friday with the winner get the 1 seed. At least the tournaments have some meaning.

This is why I think you won't see very many SWVA folks make the trip up to James River next week for the regionals.  If you win next Tuesday/Wednesday, you're going to Harrisonburg regardless the next week.  The games at James River are for state tournament seeding only more or less.

Not many at JR last night for the 38 semis. Just barely over a 100 people there for the Mavahi-Giles game, a little larger crowd for JR-Glenvar game. Would expect a little larger crowds next week but as you said all that is a 4 team tourney for seeding. Seems crazy you could lose 2 straight games next week at James River and still theoretically win the state championship.

This is why I think you won't see very many SWVA folks make the trip up to James River next week for the regionals. If you win next Tuesday/Wednesday, you're going to Harrisonburg regardless the next week. The games at James River are for state tournament seeding only more or less.

If the West did it like the East this is how your regional tournament format would look:

(These are all hypotheticals)

Conference 38 #4 James River at Conference 37 #1 Dan River

Conference 40 #3 Central Wise at Conference 39 #2 Graham

Conference 39 #4 Virginia High at Conference 40 #1 Gate City

Conference 37 #3 Buckingham at Conference 38 #2 Glenvar

Conference 37 #4 Appomattox at Conference 38 #1 Martinsville

Conference 39 #3 Grayson County at Conference 40 #2 Union

Conference 40 #4 Lebanon at Conference 39 #1 Richlands

Conference 38 #3 Giles at Conference 37 #2 Chatham

Quarterfinals

First two winners play at higher seed

#2 Graham at #1 Dan River

Second two winners play at higher seed

#2 Glenvar at #1 Gate City

Third two winners play at higher seed

#2 Union at #1 Martinsville

Fourth two seeds play at higher seed

#2 Chatham at #1 Richlands

Semifinals at James River

First two winners play

#1 Dan River vs #1 Gate City

Second two winners play

#1 Richlands vs #1 Martinsville

Consolation

Richlands vs Gate City

Championship

Dan River vs Martinsville.

Probably might end up with same teams with current format but who knows this time of year. I thought it would be very interesting to see some of the matchups if the West did their tournament like the East.

Not many at JR last night for the 38 semis. Just barely over a 100 people there for the Mavahi-Giles game, a little larger crowd for JR-Glenvar game. Would expect a little larger crowds next week but as you said all that is a 4 team tourney for seeding. Seems crazy you could lose 2 straight games next week at James River and still theoretically win the state championship.

Had some friends there at James River from Giles. They were mind blown at how small the crowd was. They expected their guys to get beat very handily, like 30 or 40, but said a buddy of his named River (true fact) caught fire. Hit something like 3 or 4 3's in a row late in the gane. They said Martinsville starters never came out even though up about 20 and that the game as a whole was very close as Giles ended up losing by 7 or 9 and had the game cut to 6 at one time.

Should Martinsville of beat Giles by a very large margin? I don't think Giles is that great of a team myself. They lost by 20 to the Bobcats both times, well at least the one time that I saw them play at Radford anyway and I did not think they were very good at all then.

They have lost to like a whole lot of teams. I'm not sure they have won 6 or 7 all year. Now this is coming from my friends from Giles but they said that if they actually had some people who could score they might have beat Martinsville.

I really don't know about that because I saw them play Radford. "Arhletic and cover space well" is the best words I would use to describe Martinsville. Maybe they weren't all that happy about playing a team like Giles but still I would do all I could to make myself better for next week. Maybe they play down to their competition. Who knows.

And if I may add the word Mavahi sounds really weird. Write M'ville or The 'Ville or something. We all know Martinsville is in Virginia and it is a high school. Mavahi sounds like you are trying to speak a foreign language.

Just my opinion on it all.

Funny how people see games different. The Dogs were up 46-22 halfway thru the 3rd and started to play very loose with the ball. Looked like they lost interest. The Lang kid got hot in the 4th, he hit some really deep 3's. But with that said you never felt like the Dogs were going to lose. They don't play but about 7-8 kids anyway so that's why the starters stayed in because they had a couple of boys sick last night. And lastly just for your info, the term Mavahi has been used here since the 1940's, and is the name of the school annual, so not trying to be cool or speak a foreign language or anything like that. Help me out here mhsalum

As far as the basketball, there's not much else I can add.  The last 2 games against Giles were similar.  Big leads by the middle of the 3rd and then coast home with sloppy, pick-up game basketball.

I collect MHS yearbooks - yea, I know that's odd.  The oldest one I have is from 1944.  The name on the front says Mavahi.   So we didn't just make that one up out of the blue.

Two of my good buddies from college went to Mavahi, and when speaking of it, called it as such...Mavahi.  On occasion, someone would ask, "where is Mavahi?",  to which they would reply..."Mhatinsville, Vahginia."

GC will rest starters before Union decides to do it. My 20 point prediction is with starters. If Union pulled their guys at half, Scotty would too. He wouldn't keep Mac and Zac out there. But I don't see either team pulling anyone until the 4th once GC has the game in hand.

Just curious, GC didn't beat Union by 20 either meeting when both games had big ramifications. Why would this be different, ESP when GC has nothing to play for? It wouldn't surprise me if GC wins by 20 if both teams play to win, but it would deviate from the norm.

Just curious, GC didn't beat Union by 20 either meeting when both games had big ramifications. Why would this be different, ESP when GC has nothing to play for? It wouldn't surprise me if GC wins by 20 if both teams play to win, but it would deviate from the norm.

GC is healthy and playing at home along with the psychological block of Union not being able to beat Gate City. GC won by 13 at home with Ervin and Dean not 100% (ya ya I know Union had some guys hurt but where were they at UVAW?) GC took the win at a neutral site by 14 with Dean playing with the flu. I think GC being healthy this time around at home blows the game wide open. This game "might not matter" but I guarantee Scotty and the team want to win it and will play to win. If Union does or not, that's on them. But GC does have something to play for, an undefeated season vs Virginia schools and tomorrow they play for the Conference 40 Tournament Championship. Another trophy we'll gladly add to our huge collection.