Richlands @ Graham

Ryan4VT

I've been around several Richlands' parents/fans today and they are all still in shock at the outcome of last Friday's game...they just knew for certain they would win that one too...

I set behind a Richlands fan during the game.  He said before the start that he thought the team had been walking around with their chests puffed out all week.(His words.)

I expect they got a bit of humble, and the next game will be interesting.

How old are these "adults" you speak of? Do you have any proof?

Also, hard fouls happen. If you don't want hit, don't go into the paint and then cry about it?

He wasn't in the paint.....either time.  Hard fouls do happen, by people who can't play basketball... 

He didn't cry about it,  he just got up and torched Richlands for 30 Plus points.  In fact he had more points then Richlands' entire team before they took him out in the fourth quarter.  Doesn't look like crying to me.  

He wasn't in the paint.....either time.  Hard fouls do happen, by people who can't play basketball... 

He didn't cry about it,  he just got up and torched Richlands for 30 Plus points.  In fact he had more points then Richlands' entire team before they took him out in the fourth quarter.  Doesn't look like crying to me.  

Wasn't speaking directly to the fouled party, just to the troll who has never seen a basketball game before 2005.

Touching a team by 30 is the correct response to a hard foul.

This is interesting.  I know the situation well.  I can prove their ages, but there is not any use to prove it here on a message board.  I can say this , the youngest one is 18.2.  The four that held back are either at 19 or a couple of months away.  Here is where it gets odd, The one that came out at halftime and hammered D. Martin at the first Richlands/Graham game, here is a rough estimate of his stats and basketball skill. 1.)  He is not averaging 1 point per game, 2) He is not averaging 1 rebound per game. 3) There are two players who don't start that put his numbers and basketball skill to shame and two more that sit the bench that are statistically  much better.  So this player starts and has all year except 1 game due to illness.  You might be asking, what does this kid do to start ahead of 4 players who clearly have better stats than he does and are much better skilled players?  Here is your answer,  In a video that has surfaced during this intentional fouling investigation the head coach describes this players role, he states;  "What makes (players name) so special is that if I ask him to run through a brick wall he will do it." In another comment he states; "he is in charge of our fouling, he has taken more charges than anyone on the team."  He is one of the adults on the team. What does running through a brick wall have to do with basketball?   This and the two fouls on D.Martin is enough evidence for me to wonder if  "hard fouling" is in the Richlands playbook. Futhermore, schools need to take an important look at holding back students and make sure it is NOT to play sports.  Here is the process. There are two ways to hold a student back, 1)  If they are not exceling academically , 2)  If they are excelling academically but are not keeping up emotionally.  In both cases a letter has to be written by the parent to the principal and the approval rate is 100% .  You CANNOT simply hold a student back a grade to give them an extra year of high school to play sports.  People on this site give way too much credit to recruiting being the success of sport programs in Richlands when recruiting coupled with the relaxed 100% approval rate of "holding back" students is an equal advantage. 

This is interesting. I know the situation well. I can prove their ages, but there is not any use to prove it here on a message board. I can say this , the youngest one is 18.2. The four that held back are either at 19 or a couple of months away. Here is where it gets odd, The one that came out at halftime and hammered D. Martin at the first Richlands/Graham game, here is a rough estimate of his stats and basketball skill. 1.) He is not averaging 1 point per game, 2) He is not averaging 1 rebound per game. 3) There are two players who don't start that put his numbers and basketball skill to shame and two more that sit the bench that are statistically much better. So this player starts and has all year except 1 game due to illness. You might be asking, what does this kid do to start ahead of 4 players who clearly have better stats than he does and are much better skilled players? Here is your answer, In a video that has surfaced during this intentional fouling investigation the head coach describes this players role, he states; "What makes (players name) so special is that if I ask him to run through a brick wall he will do it." In another comment he states; "he is in charge of our fouling, he has taken more charges than anyone on the team." He is one of the adults on the team. What does running through a brick wall have to do with basketball? This and the two fouls on D.Martin is enough evidence for me to wonder if "hard fouling" is in the Richlands playbook. Futhermore, schools need to take an important look at holding back students and make sure it is NOT to play sports. Here is the process. There are two ways to hold a student back, 1) If they are not exceling academically , 2) If they are excelling academically but are not keeping up emotionally. In both cases a letter has to be written by the parent to the principal and the approval rate is 100% . You CANNOT simply hold a student back a grade to give them an extra year of high school to play sports. People on this site give way too much credit to recruiting being the success of sport programs in Richlands when recruiting coupled with the relaxed 100% approval rate of "holding back" students is an equal advantage.

Heckuva first post.

This is interesting. I know the situation well. I can prove their ages, but there is not any use to prove it here on a message board. I can say this , the youngest one is 18.2. The four that held back are either at 19 or a couple of months away. Here is where it gets odd, The one that came out at halftime and hammered D. Martin at the first Richlands/Graham game, here is a rough estimate of his stats and basketball skill. 1.) He is not averaging 1 point per game, 2) He is not averaging 1 rebound per game. 3) There are two players who don't start that put his numbers and basketball skill to shame and two more that sit the bench that are statistically much better. So this player starts and has all year except 1 game due to illness. You might be asking, what does this kid do to start ahead of 4 players who clearly have better stats than he does and are much better skilled players? Here is your answer, In a video that has surfaced during this intentional fouling investigation the head coach describes this players role, he states; "What makes (players name) so special is that if I ask him to run through a brick wall he will do it." In another comment he states; "he is in charge of our fouling, he has taken more charges than anyone on the team." He is one of the adults on the team. What does running through a brick wall have to do with basketball? This and the two fouls on D.Martin is enough evidence for me to wonder if "hard fouling" is in the Richlands playbook. Futhermore, schools need to take an important look at holding back students and make sure it is NOT to play sports. Here is the process. There are two ways to hold a student back, 1) If they are not exceling academically , 2) If they are excelling academically but are not keeping up emotionally. In both cases a letter has to be written by the parent to the principal and the approval rate is 100% . You CANNOT simply hold a student back a grade to give them an extra year of high school to play sports. People on this site give way too much credit to recruiting being the success of sport programs in Richlands when recruiting coupled with the relaxed 100% approval rate of "holding back" students is an equal advantage.

Can someone hook me up with a TL;DR?

This is interesting.  I know the situation well.  I can prove their ages, but there is not any use to prove it here on a message board.  I can say this , the youngest one is 18.2.  The four that held back are either at 19 or a couple of months away.  Here is where it gets odd, The one that came out at halftime and hammered D. Martin at the first Richlands/Graham game, here is a rough estimate of his stats and basketball skill. 1.)  He is not averaging 1 point per game, 2) He is not averaging 1 rebound per game. 3) There are two players who don't start that put his numbers and basketball skill to shame and two more that sit the bench that are statistically  much better.  So this player starts and has all year except 1 game due to illness.  You might be asking, what does this kid do to start ahead of 4 players who clearly have better stats than he does and are much better skilled players?  Here is your answer,  In a video that has surfaced during this intentional fouling investigation the head coach describes this players role, he states;  "What makes (players name) so special is that if I ask him to run through a brick wall he will do it." In another comment he states; "he is in charge of our fouling, he has taken more charges than anyone on the team."  He is one of the adults on the team. What does running through a brick wall have to do with basketball?   This and the two fouls on D.Martin is enough evidence for me to wonder if  "hard fouling" is in the Richlands playbook. Futhermore, schools need to take an important look at holding back students and make sure it is NOT to play sports.  Here is the process. There are two ways to hold a student back, 1)  If they are not exceling academically , 2)  If they are excelling academically but are not keeping up emotionally.  In both cases a letter has to be written by the parent to the principal and the approval rate is 100% .  You CANNOT simply hold a student back a grade to give them an extra year of high school to play sports.  People on this site give way too much credit to recruiting being the success of sport programs in Richlands when recruiting coupled with the relaxed 100% approval rate of "holding back" students is an equal advantage. 

Here ya go guys... TL;DR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee925OTFBCA

As for an enforcer I don't know about that or any other schools who employ that plilosophy but dude you and everyone else would be totally shocked at how many players are 19 when they are playing and a few months from nearly being 20 when they graduate and also at the people who do it strictly so that their son or daughter for that matter can be the star and the stud on that team. I mean let's be real. If holding players back a year was illegal you would not be seeing many of the elite programs in the area as being elite.

When you have a starting five that has an average age of being able to vote and nearly drink compared to a group that has an average age of guys who can barely drive it makes a huge difference.

It isn't illegal but I really don't know that it helps the guys out a lot. It is different for others just like the one and done for college basketball. In some people's mind they are a one and done when actually they are just done. For some of my friends it just allowed the parents to live through their sons to be the players they wished they were or had the chance to be in high school and not the loser sucky ones they actually were.

My parents, well my dad, did it for me at Radford for soccer. After listening to his mouth all those years I said to hell with soccer. I worked hard enough to get an academic scholarship to Tech. I was held back and all that BS. I was older and more mature but when I look back on it, going through all the hell I was put through just so my dad could make me out to be the soccer player he thought I needed to be in his eyes for his own validation was pure s*"'.

I was probably talented enough to play in college but after college is over which will not be long now I will have a job making a lot better money than I ever would as an athlete.

Some parents just don't know when to stop pushing. I went to school and drunk like the whole first month because I was absolutely happy to be out of the house. My dad still isn't happy I gave up a scholarship to play soccer but he will get over it. He better anyway. I'm happy with my life. That's all that matters.

So if you know any schools that have a lot of holdbacks they are probably your elite programs. And if you ever hear people yelling at those schools from the stands it is probably their jerk parents trying to coach their kid and the coach from the sidelines and the stands. You can always tell who they are because they definitely know it all. I know. I lived with one. Truth spoke. (Mic dropped.)

Still love my Cats and Radford..

Thankful I had great friends to stand by me when life really sucked sometimes.

It ain't all pretty pictures like you think it is for some of us athletes.

And for those of you who think I sound bitter maybe I am some. I was pushed to spend a lot of time working that I could have been just enjoying some time with my friends and getting a breath of fresh air and being a kid instead of doing drills and doing all these fundamentals and workouts and all kinds of s*** that I needed to do to be "good".

My friends dad's were taking them fishing at Claytor Lake and hunting. I'm in a gym doing workouts. And my friends they were athletes also but they actually enjoyed playing because they didn't get coached 24 hrs a day. And these same friends who actually got to enjoy high school, some did go on to play in college. If you don't believe this s*** happens you are blind. There are plenty of jerkwads out there who think they are God incarnate for a sport and I just wanted to say F you a lot. That's not fun.

I made up for fun here at Tech though. Trust me.

I also made Dean's List and accomplished a lot having fun doing it. Away from home

That's the difference.

Dang, dude.  Sorry your dad was such a prick about you playing soccer...