Richlands @ Graham

Ryan4VT

Come on guys you are all Grown-ups here I think.  Keep underestimating this Richlands team and Phillips if you want.  Carlock has done a great job at Graham this year with a bunch of underclassman but if anyone thinks Phillips don't know what he's doing you are in for a big surprise.  It happens in the NBA all the time, teams play for seeding and lose games because they are meaningless. Richlands gave Graham the locker room material Ryan4VT, now Graham thinks they are something they are not. Richlands rested last night , there was no point in getting anyone hurt.  They may or may not play for the meaningless trophy next week but that is all they would be playing for a trophy to put in a glass case and it don't matter.  Ryan4VT if you want to play a politically correct game and say all the nice things that's up to you but I choose the truth which is Richlands plays and  will beat Union for their first ever Region win.  And graham will lose at Gate City.   Phillips is ahead of everyone on the thinking level. Blame whomever made up these conference rules for the meaningless redundant post season play.  I don't care what any of you say Richlands has one game on their mind and that is UNION.     

My question is in post season so they still do the thing where in conference championship or whatever it is does both teams still advance just like old region format where region champs and runner up both advance?

If so dumbest thing I've ever seen...once you lose you should be done period

RiverRat24 we all know that Gate City and Union are bothers and they can talk junk about each other but no one else can talk about them.  I see you running to Unions aid.  But facts are facts. Union could play Gate City 20 times this season and not beat them.  McClung single handedly controls those games. 

Come on guys you are all Grown-ups here I think. Keep underestimating this Richlands team and Phillips if you want. Carlock has done a great job at Graham this year with a bunch of underclassman but if anyone thinks Phillips don't know what he's doing you are in for a big surprise. It happens in the NBA all the time, teams play for seeding and lose games because they are meaningless. Richlands gave Graham the locker room material Ryan4VT, now Graham thinks they are something they are not. Richlands rested last night , there was no point in getting anyone hurt. They may or may not play for the meaningless trophy next week but that is all they would be playing for a trophy to put in a glass case and it don't matter. Ryan4VT if you want to play a politically correct game and say all the nice things that's up to you but I choose the truth which is Richlands plays and will beat Union for their first ever Region win. And graham will lose at Gate City. Phillips is ahead of everyone on the thinking level. Blame whomever made up these conference rules for the meaningless redundant post season play. I don't care what any of you say Richlands has one game on their mind and that is UNION.

Richlands sure as hell celebrated like they won the super bowl last year after getting that "meaningless trophy."

Plus Union travelled to Graham and lost last year.  Carlock knows what is important and what is not.  Carlock also knew that was a meaningless game for a meaningless trophy.  Carlock taught Richlands that lesson last year.  I bet if Carlock could trade places with Richlands right now he would and let Richlands  have the meaningless trophy so he wouldn't have to travel to Gate City.

Then went to Gate City to the real world and lost. My point exactly EH31!

What actually is your point? You say the next couple weeks is meaningless. You seem to think that Richlands will absolutely beat Union and Graham will absolutely lose to Gate City. Fair enough, but what comes after that?

Wait I may be wrong.... I will have to research it, a 3 game guarantee comes in to play for gate city and Richlands , not sure at what point though..  not a mood swing I will just have to research it or someone may be so kind to let us know here.

After the way GC played in some games this season (against Lee at home, against Central at home) and how Union struggled in a few games against lesser competition(Central, JIB, and THS which was a head scratcher)....I wouldnt want to put money on any of these games. Never know which teams are gonna show up. Also the likelihood of players being out for the flu is becoming greater and greater....So that's a big factor coming in the post season as well. Out of the 4 teams, if they all bring their best game I think Union and GC both win. But it's all about matchups....Graham plays great defense and so does Union. GC likes to shoot the deep ball and so does Richlands...It's gonna be interesting.

Enjoy G-men, Richlands will win the tournament next week and beat Union on February 21 at 8pm, sorry Union but you will have to pull for Gate City after this game. G-men will travel to Gate City and meet Mr. McClung and their season will be done. Richlands and Graham game last night was meaningless, a fluke, no one lost or gained a thing.

I seem to remember Richlands doing the Super Bowl Shuffle last year after beating a Graham team in the SEC Tournamemt, a Graham team that was far from full strength. I also remember that Richlands team crapping itself in the first game of Region play, driving their region-and-beyond record to 0-infinity.

No game means "anything" until Richlands meets Union in a couple of weeks. I'll take Union, because history.

Keep underestimating this Richlands team and Phillips if you want.

Hard to underestimate him when he only scored 5 points last night...oh, wait,you're talking about his daddy, the one that played the cream puff schedule so his "dream team" could look the part.  Reality will set in after the Conference tourney...Union wins by 10.

Thatcream puff schedule has him in a better shape than graham, like I said if Graham could trade places they would.  Kudos to Phillips for getting his team in a postion to win a first ever region game.

RiverRat24 we all know that Gate City and Union are bothers and they can talk junk about each other but no one else can talk about them.  I see you running to Unions aid.  But facts are facts. Union could play Gate City 20 times this season and not beat them.  McClung single handedly controls those games.

No GC fan believes that, not even the most ardent supporters. You play any team 20 times, there's gonna be one time when one team is incredibly hot and the other is incredibly cold.

But keep denigrating Union, I'm sure Richlands folks appreciate all the junk you're talking. I've not once said anything negative about RHS, but you sure seem intent on downing Union and believing there's no way Union can go to Richlands and win.

How many Union games have you seen this year? You mention McClung, there is no doubt he's the best around. But I've yet to see a team stop Slagle, a kid that can single handedly best bad or mediocre teams. Inside and out, with a strong base and great basketball IQ.

If Union advances, the semi game against Central or Battle is still worrisome, I hope the arrogance you display seeps it's way into the RHS locker room.

One more thing; since Union couldn't beat GC in 20 tries, could Richlands? What do the Blues possess that makes them so much better than the Bears?

Milo, you are correct that if you win first round of 2A West, you're guaranteed at least 3 more games.  Region semifinal, region final/consoloation, state quarterfinal.

Hokiebird7, If you hate this format, you would love 2A East, where they take 4 teams per conference for a 16 team region tournament.  Lol

Big Winners First, I will admit 20 is a stretch.  second, I am not denigrating Union.  Just because I believe Richlands will beat them does not mean I am criticizing them.  I watched Union at UVA wise early in the season and then late in the season at UVA wise against Gate City.  A total of 3 games. I give Slagle all the credit in the world all I have ever done is sing him praises. I have said Slagle will be the key to that game.  I just don't feel that Union is fundamentally sound enough to beat Richlands at Richlands with the exception of Slagle. Third, McClung single handedly controlled both games with Union, in the one I watched at UVA wise when the Bears would get close he would spring into action.  Mr. McClung is one of the best basketball players I've ever watched.  I will predict he carries them to a state championship.  Finally, to your last two questions Richlands could not beat Gate City in 20 tries either and I think Richlands possess the  home court  advantage, the fundamental skills and the coaching skill for them to whoop the Bears in 10 days from now. I am not pulling for any team, I just call it like I see it.  I've been wrong more than I have been right so I would not let my predictions worry you too much. I just enjoy the game.

Milo, you are correct that if you win first round of 2A West, you're guaranteed at least 3 more games. Region semifinal, region final/consoloation, state quarterfinal.

Hokiebird7, If you hate this format, you would love 2A East, where they take 4 teams per conference for a 16 team region tournament. Lol

I just hate the fact in anyway if you lose you advance...a team could lose in playoffs and still win a state title..

What a joke

I just hate the fact in anyway if you lose you advance...a team could lose in playoffs and still win a state title..

What a joke

Graham did it last year and nearly knocked off the #1 from the East. Probably should have won too.

Hokiebird, to add to what Dick_Vitale said, Union girls lost to us in the district tournament championship and regional championship last year, and 5 times in all before the state championship game last year, but still played us for the state championship.  If Union wasn't allowed that opportunity to advance, then it would've been much an easier road to the title last year for us, because the only other team outside of the 4 great Mountain teams last year that was worthy of a mention was Floyd County.

Hokiebird, to add to what Dick_Vitale said, Union girls lost to us in the district tournament championship and regional championship last year, and 5 times in all before the state championship game last year, but still played us for the state championship. If Union wasn't allowed that opportunity to advance, then it would've been much an easier road to the title last year for us, because the only other team outside of the 4 great Mountain teams last year that was worthy of a mention was Floyd County.

So what? You lose you are done period