SEC Tournament.

Ryan4VT

Dick my man, sorry to offend you.  Don't riot! lol

I guess you also skimmed over the post saying I am a conservative. You do not help our cause making light of people's emotions. You are what is wrong with conservatives. But keep thumping that chest Milo :) You are better than everyone here

Dick, you jumped on me, if what I say bothers you , you can ignore it.  I've not said if I am a democrat or a republican and could care less if you are conservative or not.  I am talking about liberal ideas in basketball and wasting time and money on tournaments, risking injuries to basketball players playing meaningless games. I don't know what your motive is and really don't care.

Dick your the one saying it does , "liberal" is not a word that pertains solely to politics, you are the one making hat assumption. liberal can mean simply being open to new opinions and disregarding tradition and moral values.  liberal may mean only politics  to you but trust me it can be used various subjects including basketball.  In my opinion the conference tournaments at this point has nothing to offer the kids , the coaches or the players but false hope.  If that puts me on a high horse so be it.

Dick your the one saying it does , "liberal" is not a word that pertains solely to politics, you are the one making hat assumption. liberal can mean simply being open to new opinions and disregarding tradition and moral values.  liberal may mean only politics  to you but trust me it can be used various subjects including basketball.  In my opinion the conference tournaments at this point has nothing to offer the kids , the coaches or the players but false hope.  If that puts me on a high horse so be it.

You do realize that the #2 from each conference comes from conference tournaments? So take Conference 39 for instance... Let's say Grayson County gets hot and wins 2 games to face Richlands in the finals. Then Grayson County is going to Region while Graham stays at home preparing for Spring Sports. 

Or Conference 40... Let's say Central gets wild and wins a few games to face GC in the finals and wins it. (I know a far stretch of the imagination but we are dreaming here) that means that Central is the 2 seed form conference 40 and could travel to play Richlands. 

So please, tell me more about how conference tournaments do not matter. 

You do realize that the #2 from each conference comes from conference tournaments? So take Conference 39 for instance... Let's say Grayson County gets hot and wins 2 games to face Richlands in the finals. Then Grayson County is going to Region while Graham stays at home preparing for Spring Sports.

Or Conference 40... Let's say Central gets wild and wins a few games to face GC in the finals and wins it. (I know a far stretch of the imagination but we are dreaming here) that means that Central is the 2 seed form conference 40 and could travel to play Richlands.

So please, tell me more about how conference tournaments do not matter.

This. The conference tournaments mean something to the teams who didn't win the regular season. It doesn't mean a hill or beans to the team who won.

Last years 2nd game at Richlands was meaningless, but a lot of fans on both sides didn't know that. They thought it was meaningful and that's why there was the big hubub. I was one of those who was upset. I didn't realize at the time that it didn't have any effect on the seedings. I will apologize (for the 40th time) that Richlands fans were upset last year. We aren't perfect. Although some people seem to think our fans and residents think they way.

liberal can mean simply being open to new opinions and disregarding tradition and moral values.

I'm a democrat. Therefor I'm more liberal than conservative. And I can promise you 100% that my moral values are rock solid.

And get politics out of sports.

Dick to me the tournaments don't matter and are meaningless because the risk of having them far out weigh the slim glimmer of hope that a team that had a rough season may somehow get hot and earn a spot in the region.  Example:  I think Graham should have something to gain from the conference 39 tournament besides a trophy.  Same with Union in 40 they can earn nothing but a trophy but be knocked out.  The tournaments are not fair.  You get fans that don't understand, risks of injuries teams seeing each other for the third time , fights.  Case in point, the kid from Graham who has been on fire in both games against Richlands has taken three hard fouls and one last night that everyone agrees should have been flagrant. Now if this kid takes another hard foul I don't call it a mistake.  The tournaments should be equal to all teams involved but they are not.  Therefore they are meaningless.  

Dick to me the tournaments don't matter and are meaningless because the risk of having them far out weigh the slim glimmer of hope that a team that had a rough season may somehow get hot and earn a spot in the region.  Example:  I think Graham should have something to gain from the conference 39 tournament besides a trophy.  Same with Union in 40 they can earn nothing but a trophy but be knocked out.  The tournaments are not fair.  You get fans that don't understand, risks of injuries teams seeing each other for the third time , fights.  Case in point, the kid from Graham who has been on fire in both games against Richlands has taken three hard fouls and one last night that everyone agrees should have been flagrant. Now if this kid takes another hard foul I don't call it a mistake.  The tournaments should be equal to all teams involved but they are not.  Therefore they are meaningless.  

Are you nuts? Graham is NOT in the Region tournament yet and neither is Union. They have to earn their way in. Only teams in Region now are GC/Richlands/DR/Mavahi because they won the season title in each conference. 

Conference tournaments are NOT useless... District tournaments are. District tournaments happened around Christmas time. Conference Tournaments are to decide who is the #2 seed from each conference. 

Dick I understand that but you won't bet that Union and Graham won't earn those spots.  After their regular season play I believe both have earned a spot. And nothing present, but a "dream" to use your word that Union and Graham won't earn the spots during the tournament. 

Ryan4VT what did you think about the hard foul on Graham kid last night? Was it flagrant?

To be honest, I wasn't looking. I was tweeting at that moment. I only saw the reactions.

That said, my brother said it was a flagrant. I'll take his word for it.

The whole idea of the first game counting sucks anyway. If it weren't for Grayson County refusing to play everybody twice, we wouldn't be in this situation. They are the reason for this stupid rule. They need to either get out of the conference or play everybody twice.

Richlands only played Marion once as well.

I'm a democrat. Therefor I'm more liberal than conservative. And I can promise you 100% that my moral values are rock solid.

And get politics out of sports.

Well Ryan....I'm sorry.....I'm sorry again........I will tell you that liberal values and conservative values are not the same.

I agree.....tell that to the ultra liberal NBA and NFL.....and Hollywood for that matter.

GIRLS

1. Virginia

2. Marion

3. Grayson

4. Grundy

5. Richlands

6. Tazewell

7. Graham

Quarters - Monday at higher seeds

Graham @ Marion

Tazewell @ Grayson

Richlands @ Grundy

Semis - Wednesday at Graham

Virginia vs. Richlands/Grundy

Graham/Marion vs. Grayson/Tazewell

Finals - Saturday at Graham 5:00pm

BHC and Roanoke Times are listing the girls first round games as this:

Graham at Grayson County, 6 p.m.

Richlands at Grundy, 7 p.m.

Tazewell at Marion, 7 p.m.

Like I have said before in another post... Do away with districts and make each team play each conference opponent twice. Extra games are free for alls... add opponents that are close or tournaments. Do whatever you want to fill your schedule. Then we would not have this problem...

Next year conferences will no longer exist, only districts and we will move back to an almost similar set up to what we used to have.  There will be 4 regions instead of 2 with each region consisting of 2 districts.  Clinch Mountain district will have Abingdon, Central, Union, Ridgeview, Battle, Lee, Gate City.  Everybody will play twice in the CM District.  Abingdon will play in the district tournament, but must compete in 3A for their region tournament. Southwest District will include Tazewell, Richlands, Virginia High, Lebanon, Graham, and Marion if I'm not mistaken.

The only odd ball thing is that Grayson County will not be in either of these two districts, but will compete in the region with Clinch Mountain and Southwest District teams.  Unless something changes, for basketball, 4 teams will advance to make an 8 team region tournament.

Seeding Abingdon in a 3A region tournament will be difficult, as will be seeding Grayson County in this region's tournament.

I originally had that, then I was told differently.

If Graham's girls were a #7 seed, why did they play #3 seed Grayson County tonight?  #2 usually plays #7.