Basketball Tournament Scores 2-15-2017

trublue

MHS beat Lee once already. They are most certainly in the group of 5-6 best teams. I thought East Rock may be playing the best ball from that side of the state but Lee came out on top over them the other night. I don't think there's much separation in the Top 6 teams....But MHS is definitely in that group of teams.

Rut roh, Burton is now done for the year. Shame, thought they were clearly second best C48 team.

This was girls not boys. RC/Burton do square off at 6 tonight in boys action and Burton is the 2nd best team in the Cumberland there.

Obviously there's no clear front runner this year like maybe there was the last several years with MHS and then DR before that.  Unless maybe it's GC??  They're who I'm leaning with at the moment, but I'm not completely sold on that idea just yet either. 

Anyways, these last 2 games hopefully will serve as a wakeup to the Dogs that you can't take your foot off the gas in the playoffs, even against an overmatched opponent.  This time of the year, mistakes like that can not only cost you the game, but also your season.

Pdfan, i've not seen them to know....But MHS has already beat one of the cream of the crop teams in the state in 2A. There's not many teams that are better than Lee. MHS may not be nearly as good as they have been the past few years.....But that doesn't mean they aren't still a top team this year. What have they done this year for you to think they aren't one of the best 5 or 6 teams? I'm just curious as to why you think that....They've only lost to Halifax and GW.

I have not seen Martinsville either, but I can't believe they have fallen out of the top 5-6 AA teams in Virginia.

Would love to think GC is a front runner, but it is hard to convince myself. We do not rebound well, sometimes it looks like defense is an after thought, and we can rely on the outside shot too much.

If we turn up the defensive pressure and are knocking down our outside shots, I believe we can beat any AA team in Virginia. If our shots are not falling and we are not getting after people on defense, I believe any AA team in the playoffs could beat us.

Dean's 3-point shooting seems to have really fallen off. He has not been the same since he hurt his wrist. Would love to see him heat back up.

Martinsville plays good defense but have a hard time scoring the bball. Teams with several good shooters tend to give them trouble (GC,Richlands,Graham?). Had alot of close games they pulled out during the regular season (PC,Bassett,Tunstall,Radford,Lee to name a few) that could have easily gone the other way. Are they good, yes, are they top 5-6 good, we'll soon find out.

I think that there is a lot of truth to the fact that these kids play much better when they're challenged and are guilty of playing down to competition at times. 

Other than the games GC played at the Arby's, no one in 2A plays the kind of schedule that MHS does. 

Watching Gate City they seem so effortless,almost like they only play hard when pushed, its almost like they are playing with the other team.James Mitchell is good but MCCLUNG is a step or two better, something to be said about a one sport athlete.GATE CITY will play its best ball in the next couple of weeks, as will UNION, but I look for GATE CITY to really turn it up a notch or two,I see them bringing home a State Title

GC can go through the motions against the majority of their schedule and still win comfortably.  That could prove to be detrimental to them in the coming weeks.  They may have enough talent compared to everyone else that it won't matter anyways.  Time will tell.

GC is guilty of just going through the motions and pretty much have done that since the Arbys minus maybe 2-3 games. They have the talent to pretty much turn it on when they want to and just coast through the majority of their games. But I guarantee you they don't have the talent to do that in the post season and still survive. It would be best if GC had to tap into their talent and ability each week....They need to be pushed.