Grundy program

tornado99

Yes, both Tazewell and Richlands have youth programs in the past. They were quite good, but had fallen off over the years. It is great that both are actively involved again. It has been my experience with youth wrestling that many come out, but the number that stick with it dwindle as they grow older. Too many distractions and competing sports. Wrestlers are a different breed, tough, driven, and hard nosed. Some kids don't like the the one on one competition or how physical the sport can be and drop out. The ones that stick are there for the long haul. Wrestling is not easy. Like the T-Shirt says: "Wrestling is not easy. If it was, everybody would be doing it".

That is very true. Besides Grundy, in my perception it seems most of the better "athletes" gravitate toward basketball.

That is very true. Besides Grundy, in my perception it seems most of the better "athletes" gravitate toward basketball.

That's the beauty of wrestling, you don't have to be a great athlete to be successful. Hard work and a strong mentality are the keys to success. If you get those things combined with athleticism, then you have something special, as in every sport. But those guys that are too small or too slow, can really benefit from wrestling. I've seen it first hand.

That's the bueaty of wrestling, you don't have to be a great athlete to be successful. Hard work and a strong mentality are the keys to success. If you get those things combined with athleticism, then you have something special, as in every sport. But those guys that are too small or too slow, can really benefit from wrestling. I've seen it first hand.

This is exactly why I was asking earlier for my boys in a few years.

This is exactly why I was asking earlier for my boys in a few years.

I can tell you from experience tornado99 putting your kids into a youth wrestling program will be a decision you won't regret.  Both of our kids love it.  I really wish I had wrestled when I was in high school.  I love everything about the game of football but wrestling has become my favorite.  No drama!!  Good luck to your boys. I hope they like it.

Speaking from someone who came up in the Grundy program I can tell you first hand that Mr. Robertson's help has been a huge part of the programs success. Also starting at sometimes even as young as 4 years old kids are on the mat "competing" and learning the sport. They travel to tournaments all over the state and mid atlantic at a fairly young age wrestling the best around. The facility's that we have are just as good as some/most college programs with our weight room and wrestling room. During summer its not uncommon for the older kids to go to a wrestling camp at Iowa that last two weeks and is in my own memory "hell on earth".  As Barondawg77 said it also has a lot to do with the culture of the town and fans as well. The parents have just as much to do with the success as the kids in some ways. Its not easy waking up a 5 am just to take your kid to a morning run or spending hours on the road just to sit several more hours on hard bleachers in a old gym. I could probably go on longer about the topic but that's just a few things. FYI most people in the town have the same passion about the subject lol