Gate City vs Dan River (2/23)

Leatherhead Larry

I was worried about Dean after his decline since the Arbys. He's seemed timid ever since. Kimbler I have seen pull up on 2 or 3 wide open layups throughout the season...For what reason I dont know. So you saying they were timid doesn't shock me. And them not rebounding doesn't surprise me either. But letting DR score 35 in the 4th when they only allowed 61 in 3 qtrs is insane. GC must have literally layed down on the rebounding side of things or was just that worn out.

Sounds like Mac doing his thing was working out pretty good until they botched the 4th qtr. As bad as it sucks for Devils to lose this one....I feel pretty good about their chances if they happened to get a rematch. A couple ways I guess you could look at it.....The odds of Dean going scoreless and Ervin scoring just 12 is slim if they play again. However, the odds of McClung scoring half of what he did tonight is feasible but scoring 64 I doubt will happen. GC just needs to rebound and play defense like they did against Graham and I think they will be okay. But getting them to do that is a different story.

Great City.....Did Ervin just not play well or did he just not get many chances to shoot the ball with McClung scoring so much? And what was the case with Dean and Collier? I know you said Dean was timid...But did Collier just not seem to get open any or what? If McClung was scoring that much you would think there was some other guys wide open at some point.

River.....I can assure you DR did not let Mac have his points. They were all over him. Mac just went off. Took over the game and carried us. He was exhausted during the last few minutes, missed a few shots, and DR took advantage of them.

Our defensive intensity was not there. Plus, they killed us on the boards. No telling how many second chance points they got. I would say easily 25.

We collapsed in the fourth and gave up 35 points. Give up 61 through three, and then 35 in the fourth. Amazing.

Besides Zac, rest of team was very timid. Some sloppy passes.

Oh well, it is what it is. Got to rebound (pun intended) and get a win on Saturday

Going to watch at least a quarter of the Richlands game.

You should have come over and said hi. 

The difference was the rebounding. I would say with confidence that DR had around 20 offensive rebounds. On one trip they had 5 possessions because of them. If they cut that in half, they win. 

Somebody help me out! First congratulations to Richlands High school on their win. Great for

SWVA basketball, and RHS.

2nd, Someone mentioned that Gate City is still alive, even after their loss? Is that correct?

This McClung kid must be something special......just a JR, and how tall? WOW !!!!!!!

Yes. GC plays Chatham on Saturday. The winner of that is the 3 seed in the west side of the State Quarters next Friday. The loser of that game will be the 4 seed. All four teams who played tonight are guaranteed two more games.

Ryan, the Ole saying is that Defense wins ball games, and RHS obviously

Did just that, and won. Good game plan. On the other hand the school that

that played GC did not play much defense, and still won. Go figure.Best of

Luck to Richlands and Gate City Saturday. Stay healthy guys and play with

A great deal of Pride.

On a different note, the McClung athlete from GC; How would you rate him next

To Calvin Talford, and Trazell Silvers. That goes a little ways back, and the

Game has changed somewhat since their day, but both were very good players.

I watch Talford put 76 on Chilhowie one night at Castlewood, with about 12

Throw downs and cartwheel dunks. He was no fluke at the D1 level.He played

Above the rim!

ETSU was a 14 seed that year, Arizona was a 3 seed. ETSU had Talford, Mr

Jennings, Story and Rodney English, and a solid bench. Coach Olson from

Arizona team just could Not do much against State's quickness and athletes.

It was 87 to 80 ETSU. I think that was 1992.

I got to know States recruiter back then, and State signed Greg

Belcher from Chilhowie as a shooting guard. State's coaching

Changes took it's toll on Belcher in just two years.

Yes. GC plays Chatham on Saturday. The winner of that is the 3 seed in the west side of the State Quarters next Friday. The loser of that game will be the 4 seed. All four teams who played tonight are guaranteed two more games.

Damn....lose 2 straight and still alive to win a state title...wow what a great system this is....SMDH

It blows my mind how some of you don't know who McClung is. How do you not know who he is?

GC better learn to play defense and rebound before next Friday or we will be ending the season with a huge disappointment. I said before the season "state or bust" and I still stand by that. But rebounding and defense may be the collapse.

Question for some of you guys that went to the game. Did Ervin have a rough game...Or was Mac just doing so much damage that Ervin didnt really get too involved? I mean for Mac to have 64 alone I feel like there wasn't that many more possessions to be had for Ervin or Collier to get involved. When you score 84 pts offense obviously is not the issue here. If GC would have had a pulse on defense in the 4th and had rebounded decently the game was theirs to lose.

I'm an outsider, so I have no clue what they've looked like this season, but the biggest difference I saw was conditioning and rebounding. DR had to have had 20+ offensive rebounds. And by the end, GC was sucking air. Mac was gassed. Ervin had a lot of opportunities, but he wasn't really on it from 3 point range. And when he went inside they would just collapse and he would turn the ball over.

What number is Dean?

Dean is #1. I didn't even mention him because I had already heard that he was very timid in this game and he never scored a point. I didn't hear anything about Collier really...Kinda wondered what happened with him.

Ervin is normally a really good shooter. So knowing he was off and Dean didn't even score and GC still led the game for 3 qtrs and was close to pulling it out is encouraging. Ervin's biggest flaw is his ball handling skills when he goes inside with it. If he could clean that area of his game up he would be as dangerous as Mac. I like GCs chances if they meet DR again.

It blows my mind how some of you don't know who McClung is. How do you not know who he is?

GC better learn to play defense and rebound before next Friday or we will be ending the season with a huge disappointment. I said before the season "state or bust" and I still stand by that. But rebounding and defense may be the collapse.

Well I don't know who he is because I'm from giles lol

Dean is #1. I didn't even mention him because I had already heard that he was very timid in this game and he never scored a point. I didn't hear anything about Collier really...Kinda wondered what happened with him.

Ervin is normally a really good shooter. So knowing he was off and Dean didn't even score and GC still led the game for 3 qtrs and was close to pulling it out is encouraging. Ervin's biggest flaw is his ball handling skills when he goes inside with it. If he could clean that area of his game up he would be as dangerous as Mac. I like GCs chances if they meet DR again.

Yeah, he just looked almost scared the whole game. Very stiff. I'm not sure he even took a shot until the final 30 seconds and when he did, he air balled a 3 badly. He didn't contribute much defensively, either. He's just a freshman, right? You'd expect a little bit of timidness from a 14 year old. Looking forward to seeing how they fare against Chatham. I don't think they'll have a problem at all. If Mac drives to the bucket like he did against DR, Chatham will foul out all of their post guys quick. They were big (weight wise) but not very fast and Phillips/Ball/Horn exploited that in the second half. 

Ryan, the Ole saying is that Defense wins ball games, and RHS obviously

Did just that, and won. Good game plan. On the other hand the school that

that played GC did not play much defense, and still won. Go figure.Best of

Luck to Richlands and Gate City Saturday. Stay healthy guys and play with

A great deal of Pride.

Above the rim!

ETSU was a 14 seed that year, Arizona was a 3 seed. ETSU had Talford, Mr

Jennings, Story and Rodney English, and a solid bench. Coach Olson from

Arizona team just could Not do much against State's quickness and athletes.

It was 87 to 80 ETSU. I think that was 1992.

I got to know States recruiter back then, and State signed Greg

Belcher from Chilhowie as a shooting guard. State's coaching

Changes took it's toll on Belcher in just two years.

Above the rim!

Talford was the best from this area i ever saw, Mac is the same kind of athlete, but a smaller guy at 6'2', Calvin was 6'4" and probably the best all around athlete, he was a track star and a basketball star, i think he played one year of football and was all-state. Mac was a great receiver as a freshman and no doubt in my mind could play D1 receiver. Silvers was 6'7' or so and totally not that kind of athlete, although a really good player. Clavin dominated the SOCON on a very good ETSU team, when he got hurt one year ETSU was ranked in the mid to low teens and they ended up getting a very low seed the comittee said it would have been a 5 or 6 seed with him, i think that may have been the year they lost to the fab 5 of Michigan. For you young punks :) go to youtube and look up Calvin Talford, he won the NCAA dunk contest his senior year that they hold during final four weekend.

Legend, the year you speak of Calvin getting hurt was 91, which was Misters SR year.  They had been ranked 10th in the country even with Greg Dennis missing all but one game of the season and taking a medical redshirt.  Calvin was injured against The Citadel in the opening game for ETSU in the SoCon tourney.  I think before NCAA seeding ETSU was ranked around 17th in the country but ended up being given a 10 seed and had to face Acie Earl and Iowa.  Lost by 3 76-73.  Was  a shame they were given a 10 seed that year.

SWVAFB, I was fortunate enough at that time my parents got season tickets for ETSU for a couple of years when they were so good.  They were an absolute blast to watch and follow as we went to quite a few away games as well.  In 92 when they faced Arizona it was played at the Omni in Atlanta so we got tickets and went to the game.  Stayed in ATL after the win and got to watch them play the Fab Five in the second round when Webber and crew were freshman.  

You were a very fortunate person have seen all those games at and away from State. I graduated

In '72 and only seen a few games, but have followed them every year. Forbes will be hard for State

To keep, espically if he has another good year. He has recruited well it appears, and got some

Good quality citizens on the squad.I wish them the best in the SoCon tournament, and I hope they

Make it to the NCAA tournament.Best wishes, my friend

Legend, the year you speak of Calvin getting hurt was 91, which was Misters SR year.  They had been ranked 10th in the country even with Greg Dennis missing all but one game of the season and taking a medical redshirt.  Calvin was injured against The Citadel in the opening game for ETSU in the SoCon tourney.  I think before NCAA seeding ETSU was ranked around 17th in the country but ended up being given a 10 seed and had to face Acie Earl and Iowa.  Lost by 3 76-73.  Was  a shame they were given a 10 seed that year.

SWVAFB, I was fortunate enough at that time my parents got season tickets for ETSU for a couple of years when they were so good.  They were an absolute blast to watch and follow as we went to quite a few away games as well.  In 92 when they faced Arizona it was played at the Omni in Atlanta so we got tickets and went to the game.  Stayed in ATL after the win and got to watch them play the Fab Five in the second round when Webber and crew were freshman.

IIRC, they played that Michigan team very close. Any other team, ETSU could've beaten but that combo of Webber, Rose and Howard were unguardable without having an insane amount of talent. With Jennings, that 92 team could've made a deep run in the tourney.

I still have a signed Jennings Golden State Warriors rookie card around here somewhere. He signed it Keith Mister Jennings.

The year ETSU played Oklahoma was the year after OU lost to KU in the Finals.  KU/OU finals was 88.  89 was when ETSU gave up a big lead late to OU.  That day almost had Princeton pulling a 16 vs 1 upset of Georgetown as well.   Im still not sure why that game gets more press than the ETSU/OU Game. Michigan, Rumeal Robinson and Glen Rice knocked off Seton Hall in 89 for the title.  

It was an absolute blast following those ETSU teams from 89-93.  I can still see Anquell McCollum or Frankie King one hitting a 3 at the buzzer for Western Carolina to knock ETSU out of the SoCon tourney the year after Calvin graduated to end the streak.  I still can believe LaForce went to a zone out of a timeout up 2 there.   I was about witnessed a fight at Furman between fans.  I almost got kicked out of Varsity Gymnasium in Boone when the mascot decided he was going to try and hip thrust in my face.  Numerous funny SoCon tourney games and fan experiences.  Im glad ETSU is back in the SoCon and they moved the tourney back to Asheville.  I wish I had time to go back over there this year and watch it.

I also agree Forbes is probably not going to be at ETSU much longer.  I could see LSU making a play at him this year, but I believe odds are he is gone after next year, and they will be looking at a major rebuilding process as they have 0 sophomores and 1 freshman currently on the team.