What would Southwest Virginia look like if it consolidated?

HowTheWestWasWon2017

Will be Tazewell County East and Tazewell County West

That would be turrible...

094d788f558cd1cffc3d8da7c003963e7dbdd13a

You are already taking away all identity and character buy naming a school "directional whatever".  With consolidation, the schools will lose their towns identity anyway, at least give them a name to be proud of, one they can identify with.

I've always thought Bluestone River High and Clinch River High would be nice...any and all nicknames would be up for debate.

Although, the Pounding Mill Quarriers and the Bailey Switch Railroaders wouldn't be too bad...

Divides high is actually a really cool name.

I advocated for South of the Mountain high for Dickenson Co. Back at the turn of the century that's what the region was known as, due to it lying South of Pine Mountain. Kind of a mouth full but it's unique and completely original.

BE ORIGINAL!!!

I always hoped that Tazewell County would use the names East River and Clinch River

East River is in Mercer Co,, not Tazewell Co..  East River Mountain is named for the East River...so, no...

Now the Bluestone River, it begins at the Divides in Tazewell Co. and would run right by the property of said "Tazewell Co. East High School".  However, the name "Bluestone" is used by another school in VA, Bluestone High School, therefore, the other names I mentioned would be more distinct...

I don't what the names will be or where all the school will be located but I am afraid we are all going to see for ourselves what it looks like, sooner rather than later.

I don't what the names will be or where all the school will be located but I am afraid we are all going to see for ourselves what it looks like, sooner rather than later.

Its a really interesting thing to look at in Scott.  Scott doesnt have great transportation routes for going to one school, and they have done a really good job of maintaining and updating the school buildings (I dont count Legion Field bleachers in that)  over the years.  There really is no purpose in having two new schools if it ever happens, but I could see one close as enrollment seems to be dwindling and merging it into the 2 other schools.    A one school location will either need to be put near the 72/71 intersection or on 23 between GC and Speers Ferry to be feasible.

East River is in Mercer Co,, not Tazewell Co.. East River Mountain is named for the East River...so, no...

Now the Bluestone River, it begins at the Divides in Tazewell Co. and would run right by the property of said "Tazewell Co. East High School". However, the name "Bluestone" is used by another school in VA, Bluestone High School, therefore, the other names I mentioned would be more distinct...

I never realized that East River only started on the WV side I thought for sure it started on Virginia side, oh well I actually learned something new on here today. Now the mountain up behind the bluestone ghost town is that still called East River Mountain on the Tazewell County side?

I never realized that East River only started on the WV side I thought for sure it started on Virginia side, oh well I actually learned something new on here today. Now the mountain up behind the bluestone ghost town is that still called East River Mountain on the Tazewell County side?

Yes, that is East River Mountain. East River Mountain runs from Tazewell to Narrows.  Rt. 61 follows it on the south side of the mountain

The East River begins as a trickle on the eastern end of Bluefield, WV and flows east-northeastward to the New River at Glen Lynn.

Actually from Tazewell to the Giles County line the mountain just north of Rt 61 is Buckhorn Mountain.  At the Giles line Buckhorn and East River Mountains run into each other at Buckhorn Knob and continue to Narrows as East River Mountain.

Actually from Tazewell to the Giles County line the mountain just north of Rt 61 is Buckhorn Mountain.  At the Giles line Buckhorn and East River Mountains run into each other at Buckhorn Knob and continue to Narrows as East River Mountain.

Yes, you are correct.  Was off by a ridge...Clear Fork/Rt. 61 do run along Buckhorn Mountain...Laurel Fork/Dry Fork run along East River mountain, between Buckhorn and East River Mountains.  I made my comments to early in the morning, wasn't thinking straight...excuse me for my poor early morning geography...

Lee isn't a county school. Thomas Walker is also in Lee County.

That decision was purely political.  To have tried to include the lower end of Lee Co. would have killed that whole effort.

I had a front row seat for that consolidation.  If the political leaders of both parties hadn't have been united behind the idea, it would never have happened.

That would be turrible...

094d788f558cd1cffc3d8da7c003963e7dbdd13a

You are already taking away all identity and character buy naming a school "directional whatever".  With consolidation, the schools will lose their towns identity anyway, at least give them a name to be proud of, one they can identify with.

I've always thought Bluestone River High and Clinch River High would be nice...any and all nicknames would be up for debate.

Although, the Pounding Mill Quarriers and the Bailey Switch Railroaders wouldn't be too bad...

I like The East River Mountain Mallards

As a lifelong, but recently relocated, Tazewell County resident, my perspective is a little different than that of most of you. Tradition and nostalgia have their places, but it's not in the planning of the economic course of a county. Enrollments will likely to continue to decline and budgets will become tighter. Programs and opportunities will be cut. The taxpayers (and I was one that payed plenty) should demand consolidation.

some great mascot names:

Virginia

William King Mighty Midgets

Dublin Dukes

Fluvanna County Flying Flucos

Pembroke Corncutters

Hampton Crabbers

Newport News Shipbuilders

Highland Springs Springers

Jefferson (Roanoke) Magicians

Lexington Goat Herders (in the 1920's)

Crewe Railroaders

Rich Valley Steers

St. Charles Midgets

Glade Spring "Shorthorns"

These names are so not politically correct, the real challenge would be finding names and mascots that don't piss people off. The St. Charles midgets would have to be the St, Charles Little People as an example.

I know there have been some recent consolidations out west with a lot.of smaller schools that have now become larger schools playing a level higher.

Who are some of the counties that should be looking at consolidation?

Here in the New River Valley and points east we already have a lot of counties who have schools who have already unified and consolidated into one high school:

Patrick County,

Carroll County,

Grayson County,

Floyd County,

Franklin County,

Pulaski County,

Giles County,

Craig County,

Bland County,

Bath County,

Rockbridge County, Allegheny County,

Nelson County,

Amherst County,

Appomattox County, Buckingham County,

Halifax County,

Orange County,

Louisa County,

Goochland County,

Amelia County and Madison County to name a few.

I have listed 22 schools in the state in our area and East and I believe there was one in the West if swva_havok will correct me called Ridgeline or Ridgeview or something like that which is in Dickenson County and another county named Lee which is also a county school I believe? So that makes 24 just that I know of.

The other ones left not consolidated between the western Virginia border and the county of Montgomery that has just one county school in it would be:

Wise,

Scott,

Buchanan,

Russell,

Washington,

Tazewell,

Smyth,

And Wythe counties.

That 24 of 32 counties from the western Virginia border to the northern West Virginia border to the area of Montgomery, Roanoke, Botetourt, Bedford, Henry and Pittsylvania counties that does not have a one county, one consolidated school system.

If these unconsolidated school systems did consolidate what would it be like? Do we see any of them joining together as one in the future. If so what would they be renamed if anything and would they be better off academically and athletically?

Carroll County consolidated in 1969, well before divisions, school size and travel to get to similarly sized schools was an issue.  If they had it to do all over again with the knowledge that a decision made nearly 50 years ago would squarely place all athletic programs on a proverbial island, I'm certain a different decision would have been made.  

As for the current situation in Carroll, they are married to the concept, they have to be!  The cost to reverse a decision made nearly 50 years ago would financially cripple a county with an ever shrinking population and school enrollment.

Grayson County consolidated in 1988.  At it's peak in the mid '00's, the high school had roughly 750 students so it was never isolated at any point from similarly sized schools.  However, the population has steadily decreased as jobs became more and more scarce.  Grayson's enrollment is currently closer to 550.  Losing 200 high school students a decade isn't going to continue in my opinion, but it isn't likely to reverse either.  

Galax has been the economic engine of Carroll and Grayson County's since forever.  Galax has lost nearly 9,000 factory jobs since the turn of the century if you count the sewing plants in the outlying counties and Fries.  In return, they have managed to piece-meal some 3,000 jobs together with small businesses that are very successful, but only employ 10-20 people each.  It's difficult to gain traction quickly that way but it is effective.

SWVA is in a difficult and unique situation that, for all intents and purposes, doesn't have a single, broad reaching solution.  It will take a collective effort from many different areas to stabilize and/or reverse a three decade trend.  I'm not sure that will ever happen to be honest.  In my opinion, traditional county borders should be ignored for future school consolidation.  It should take on a more regional or community look and feel.  Again, that would take a tremendous amount of cooperation within areas that haven't traditionally played very nicely together in the past.  It makes much more sense to build a school that eliminates cross-mountain travel than stick with traditional county boundaries, in my opinion.

But again, it's unlikely any of that will ever come to fruition.