Mac McClung

Mac 0-3 from the floor all 3 point attempts. I know he's just a freshman but he's going to have to get a jump shot going to play at this level you just can't be a great athlete and jumper to play D1 basketball 

Mac is in a shooting slump big time and didnt play with the same effort tonight he did the previous 3 games.  Just hitting a few mid range jumpers or going to the charity stripe for some freebies might loosen him up and get him going. But if you benched every player on the Hoya team tonight that wasnt hitting their shots they wouldnt have had enough players to put on the court.   The whole team was putrid.   Their 3pt shooting % is glaring though.....something has got to give if the Hoyas want to be competitive in conference play.  Mac, Akinjo, Blair, Pickett, and Malinowski have to hit their wide open looks. 

Mac had 7 points in their win versus South Florida. Georgetown came back from being down 11 and forcing OT.. Won 76-73 I think.. South Florida was terrible from Free throw line and Georgetown was pretty good. Very proud of Mac and believe he is going to show critics he can adjust to whatever challenges are thrown at him and rise above it!

45 minutes ago, Milo said:

Mourning Pours in 27 as Hoyas Defeat Campbell 93-85    Georgetown quickly opened up the game on a 10-0 run bolstered by a 3-pointer from freshman Mac McClung (Gate City, Va. / Gate City) and dunks from both Govan and sophomore Jamorko Pickett(Washington, D.C. / Massanutten Military Academy [Va.]) prompting a Campbell timeout.  

On the other hand, his primary defensive responsibility scored 45 points.  That will work against Campbell; it won’t work against Xavier, Butler, Villanova...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bqk2j55l6iS/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ucblexlwc1lx

Mac breaking ankles in that game against campbell, he missed the 3 but it's coming and when it does, oh boy gonna make NOISE!  He did make 2 in this game so that has doubled his best!  Not many makes it from our ends , go Mac!  And I think that was Clemons that got his ankles snapped by Mac!

Just now, UVAObserver said:

On the other hand, his primary defensive responsibility scored 45 points.  That will work against Campbell; it won’t work against Xavier, Butler, Villanova...

DEFENSE

DEFENSE

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Did you chart entire game to see how many points he gave up? Lol

Just now, Hokiebird7 said:

Actually that stat comes out pretty quick Hokiebird7  but the only people who use it are the haters, Players in college and the NBA get scored on. on a regular basis. for a freshman D-1 player , they are all in a learning process.  His defense does need some work but that does not neglect all the good things he is doing, My goodness he has less than 10 D-1 games under his belt. By the end of the season if it's still going on, I would question it, but not now.

6 minutes ago, Milo said:

Actually that stat comes out pretty quick Hokiebird7  but the only people who use it are the haters, Players in college and the NBA get scored on. on a regular basis. for a freshman D-1 player , they are all in a learning process.  His defense does need some work but that does not neglect all the good things he is doing, My goodness he has less than 10 D-1 games under his belt. By the end of the season if it's still going on , I would question it. but not now.

Oh he may take more than a full year to get better...but maybe he will, maybe he won't time will tell

Just now, Hokiebird7 said:

Oh he may take more than a full year to get better...but maybe he will, maybe he won't time will tell

Very true, he could very well be a 3 or 4 year player.  He has not had the big game yet like Zion, R.J. and others.  I have a hunch that he is the type player that could break out anytime.  As you said , "time will tell."

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Of course not, but I did look at a few possessions.  Unless there was a switch off a screen, McClung’s primary responsibility (and the responsibility of the guards who spelled him) was Clemons, and Clemons torched Georgetown to a level where Campbell almost won.  Obviously, there will be a few possessions where the defense was passable, but overall it is still lacking, and 6 points in 23 minutes isn’t exactly worth the tradeoff.  

He still has a very long way to go on that end to show defensive continuity.  I know that’s not going to be met kindly on this board (see Milo’s flood of posts), but it’s objectively verifiable.

Of course not, but I did look at a few possessions.  Unless there was a switch off a screen, McClung’s primary responsibility (and the responsibility of the guards who spelled him) was Clemons, and Clemons torched Georgetown to a level where Campbell almost won.  Obviously, there will be a few possessions where the defense was passable, but overall it is still lacking, and 6 points in 23 minutes isn’t exactly worth the tradeoff.  

He still has a very long way to go on that end to show defensive continuity.  I know that’s not going to be met kindly on this board (see Milo’s flood of posts), but it’s objectively verifiable.

I see what your saying, a reason that Campbell hung around is that Mac gave up 45 points.  I promise you he knows this.  And I agree that 6 points , 1 assist and 1 rebound is not a good trade off for 23 minutes.  I am going to give him more than 6 games to prove he can tighten the defense up though.  I don't think he has a "very long way to go." as you said.  As for my flooding, take a look at the activity board, you're the leader.  This coming from someone who has 11,634 posts, and this is factually verifiable.

The main defender on Clemons was Akinjo.  I'm sure at times MAC guarded him but not most of the game.  A lot of his points seemed  late in the game when he was jacking up 3's and making them.  If MAC was from Graham then the doubters would give him the time that's needed but since he's from GC they're already trying to say he can't hack it.

8 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

When you were watching the game was MAC actually guarding Clemons?  I saw a guy post something on a Georgetown message board with his points broken down by who was guarding him.  He scored 25 while Akinjo was on him.  He scored 13 when Jagan was guarding him and 7 points in transition.  None of his 45 points came while MAC was guarding him according to that poster.  I didn't watch the game so I don't know.  Looking at your posts, you insinuate that MAC was the primary defender and poking at the 6 points not being a good trade off to giving up 45 points.

On 11/25/2018 at 1:41 PM, UVAObserver said:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-11-13/college-basketball-chris-clemons-campbell-nations-returning  .... Xavier , Butler, and Villanova don't have the returning nations top scorer.   Clemons goes off for 44 here against another team.  https://clips.clippit.tv/vxzdxb/720.mp4       

Yeah, Chris Clemons is only 5-9. But he’s the tallest man in town if he stands on his box scores. From the 85 games in a row he’s scored in double figures, to the 65 times he has broken 20 points, to the 24.9 average he had as a junior, which made him the top scorer in the nation returning this season.

And, yeah, it is a little different, how he sets up for his free throws off-center, not far from where the circle meets the stripe, like a kicker lining up for a field goal attempt on the right hash mark. But he’s a career 84-percent shooter from the line, so you want to be the one to tell him to change?   Don't look like anyone is guarding him.

On 11/25/2018 at 8:26 PM, Hokie101 said:

If MAC was from Graham then the doubters would give him the time that's needed but since he's from GC they're already trying to say he can't hack it.

Careful with that...I'm a Mac fan...