Mac McClung

OK...if you haven't noticed, I've jumped on the MM bandwagon.  The kid is good.  If the big boys don't come knocking on his door soon, one of the smaller schools is going to get an electric player.  I've been watching lots of videos...he can run the floor, handle the ball, makes some great passes, is a danger to score from anywhere on the floor...guard him close and he'll blow by you for an easy dunk or layup, lay off him and he'll splash a three in your face.  Honestly, I'm shocked that the local big boy schools haven't already come knockin', he's a legit high D-1 player from what I've seen on video.

1 hour ago, GMan said:

OK...if you haven't noticed, I've jumped on the MM bandwagon.  The kid is good.  If the big boys don't come knocking on his door soon, one of the smaller schools is going to get an electric player.  I've been watching lots of videos...he can run the floor, handle the ball, makes some great passes, is a danger to score from anywhere on the floor...guard him close and he'll blow by you for an easy dunk or layup, lay off him and he'll splash a three in your face.  Honestly, I'm shocked that the local big boy schools haven't already come knockin', he's a legit high D-1 player from what I've seen on video.

Video can make anyone look like the next Michael Jordan.  

Defense is nowhere close to high-major caliber at this point.  This is why the "big boys" aren't knocking.  It needs to improve and it needs to show on both the AAU and high school levels.  I'm not saying it can't or won't, but if you're looking for a reason, there it is.

McClung is also hindered by the fact that the 2018 class for guards and wings is loaded to a degree which I've never seen before.  There's an absurdity of riches at 1-3.  It may result in McClung drawing some high-major offers from the BCs and Pitts of the world as their first choices spurn them, but there is much work to do.

I wish him the very best, and I do hope he breaks down the doors to get high-major attention.

I would be curious to see how he does defensively at the AAU games.  I havent watched any of those games just the highlights like everyone else around here I guess.  Vermillion is a defensive coach but I do believe he asked Mac to play the lanes and take advantage of anything he can but stay out of foul trouble for GC.  Thats just a guess but watching him play for GC versus the way historically GC has played ball under Vermillion I believe that to be the case.  

I may be wrong....but I think at least one high  major D1 will take the plunge on offering him by the time his summer ball is over.   And if that happens, I think the offers will start to roll in for him and I hope it happens. In one of the articles I read on his twitter page about his recruitment, I seen where he had spoke with a coach from Duke and maybe VT or VA recently. However, I'm sure he talks with lots of coaches from high profile teams when he plays with some of the best talent in the nation.

If a high major doesn't offer, whatever mid major school he chooses to go to will be lucky.  High major talent that I think will excel and possibly dominate at the mid major level.   

I will guess that a school along the lines of BC or Pitt will offer, but do not expect it to happen until next year.

UVAO.......can't remember......have you seen Mac play an entire game, or just seen the highlights?

Mac can play some great defense. Led the team with 3 steals a game (not sure what a great steals per game number would be). Truly believe he could lead the team in rebounding.  He generally does what the team needs him to do for the team to win.

As a sophomore he committed some terrible fouls, and missed parts of games because he was in foul trouble. Last year he greatly improved on not making stupid fouls.

1inStripes.......I completely agree. GC is a completely different team if Mac has to leave the court due to foul trouble. Keeping him out of foul trouble is a top priority.

9 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

I would be curious to see how he does defensively at the AAU games.  I havent watched any of those games just the highlights like everyone else around here I guess.  Vermillion is a defensive coach but I do believe he asked Mac to play the lanes and take advantage of anything he can but stay out of foul trouble for GC.  Thats just a guess but watching him play for GC versus the way historically GC has played ball under Vermillion I believe that to be the case.  

I think defense is outlawed at AAU events.

I don't understand this "doesn't play defense" talk. I've heard it several times and it doesn't make sense to me. I guess it gets overshadowed by what he does on the offensive end. He plays his tail off.

Just now, cityofRaven said:

Those aren't small schools...

No sir....those are big time. It wasn't too long ago that Marquette was one of the elite teams in the nation.  They are still good.....but for several years were national title contenders.  Cinci and ASU are big time too.  Hope the big offers start to materialize....seems like he's starting to get traction.  

46 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

Those aren't small schools...

Cincinnati is impressive.  Cronin has built a quality program at Cincinnati, and they are tough as nails.  The others are "fair to middling" on the D1 level, so to say.  Marquette hasn't been powerful in almost a decade, and the others are in the bottom 1/3 of their conferences (aside from occasional 1-year wonders in Utah and Rhode Island).  

Suffice it to say that interest doesn't equal "offer".  If that's the case, UVa has "interest".  Nevertheless, cautious optimism.  I am hopeful that McClung can score an offer from a school the caliber of Cincinnati.  

18 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Cincinnati is impressive.  Cronin has built a quality program at Cincinnati, and they are tough as nails.  The others are "fair to middling" on the D1 level, so to say.  Marquette hasn't been powerful in almost a decade, and the others are in the bottom 1/3 of their conferences (aside from occasional 1-year wonders in Utah and Rhode Island).  

Suffice it to say that interest doesn't equal "offer".  If that's the case, UVa has "interest".  Nevertheless, cautious optimism.  I am hopeful that McClung can score an offer from a school the caliber of Cincinnati.  

It's ok to give someone not from Graham credit, I promise it won't kill you.

20 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

It's ok to give someone not from Graham credit, I promise it won't kill you.

And it's OK not to build up every star player to be the Second Coming of Jesus.  :)

Less than 1% of high school athletes go D-1.  For basketball players, the rate is something like 1.2%.  McClung will obviously be in that number, and he should be, as he's the best player in SWVA by a ridiculous margin.  But it's fair to be realistic, something that's lost on a wide swath of this board.

3 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

And it's OK not to build up every star player to be the Second Coming of Jesus.  :)

Less than 1% of high school athletes go D-1.  For basketball players, the rate is something like 1.2%.  McClung will obviously be in that number, and he should be, as he's the best player in SWVA by a ridiculous margin.  But it's fair to be realistic, something that's lost on a wide swath of this board.

I never said he would part waters, but I did see him part a 2-3 zone and that's all we should expect.