Mac McClung

15 hours ago, HowTheWestWasWon2017 said:

If I am a Gate City fan and this is Mac McClung's senior year, I am going to be there at 4pm waiting for the doors to open this year!

Some of us have done that for years regardless...lol

Would not surprise me at all if GC cuts off ticket sales at some home games. I know it was discussed last year.

Yes........I love a packed gym. Not about that. Is a safety issue. Plus, if I am a fan who pays to see the game and end up having to watch it on TV in the cafeteria, I am not going to be a happy camper. I know.........go early. I will. :)

Key to GC's success next year will be the play of Dean. If he is the "Arby's Tournament Dean" all year, we are going to have a special team (if no injuries). I have not seen much about how he is doing on his travel team. I saw something many weeks ago that talked about him scoring 30 points......that is a good sign.

The key to GC's success is more than Dean. We need David George to fill out his frame. He looks to be 6'7 maybe even 6'8 now. He stands way taller than Ervin who is 6'5. George and Dean will only be Sophomores but they will play a vital role in how many points we win the state title by. 

You think this is the year Larry?  I honestly thought last year might be the best chance.  Team play could be better this year if George really steps up....and I expect the defense to be better by far.  Scrappy guards should cause some issues....and if George could add 20 lbs look out. 

While the whole "P5" thing looks good on a piece of paper or tweet, Marshall is better shape than Rutgers is at this point. Marshall is his best offer to date. They were close to dethroning MTSU last year, and return several pieces. Should be a fringe tourney team if things go right. 

7 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

While the whole "P5" thing looks good on a piece of paper or tweet, Marshall is better shape than Rutgers is at this point. Marshall is his best offer to date. They were close to dethroning MTSU last year, and return several pieces. Should be a fringe tourney team if things go right. 

Blah blah blah. I'll play at Rutgers vs the Michigans, Wisconsins, Indianas, and Michigan States of the world before I'll play at Marshall vs the joke C-USA. And by using that logic you're saying that ETSU is his best offfer since they actually made the tourney and none of the others that offered have. 

Just now, Leatherhead Larry said:

Blah blah blah. I'll play at Rutgers vs the Michigans, Wisconsins, Indianas, and Michigan States of the world before I'll play at Marshall vs the joke C-USA. 

I'm not taking anything away from the offer. P5 is P5 and that's a helluva accomplishment for a SWVA AA basketball player. I'm simply stating that if I want to make the NCAA tournament or at least sniff it, you have to look at the situations, and Marshall is in a better place than Rutgers. It all depends on what he wants out of his situation. If he wants to play the big boys, sure, go to Rutgers. But I don't see Rutgers making the tournament anytime soon. Just my opinion, of course. The choice is Mac's. 

Rutgers won't be his last P5 offer. It's only the first of a good handful heading his way. But if I were in his situation, I would go to Rutgers vs everyone else that's offered and try to help put em on the map. But he has another full year before he has to decide anything and has that much more time to rake in more offers. 

Marshall was 20-15, 10-8 in CUSA...they got hot at the end of the season and made a good run in their conference tourney, but they aren't that good, period...

35 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Rutgers is a dumpster fire.  Yes, you play in the Big XIV.  Yes, you will get throttled 20 times per year.  Yes, a respectable mid-major is far more preferable.  

14 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Rutgers is a dumpster fire.  Yes, you play in the Big XIV.  Yes, you will get throttled 20 times per year.  Yes, a respectable mid-major is far more preferable.  

Rutgers was better last year than the year before, but, yeh, they suck...

I think ETSU and Kent State both are better teams to play for and better offers.....but Rutgers is a bigger school and may open the door for other P5 offers.  It's only a matter of time before better P5 offers start rolling in 

4 hours ago, bhs7695 said:

I diploma from Rutgers will look a hell of a lot better than a diploma from Marshall & ETSU combined......

It carries no prestige, and is openly mocked, outside the confines of western New Jersey.  The top students in that area go to Temple, at worst.  UPenn is about 30 minutes down the road, too.  And in a state that has Princeton as its premier university, Rutgers is treated like an afterthought.

Source: I lived in south-central PA for a half-decade.

38 minutes ago, Dick_Vitale said:

A diploma from Yale would a hell of a lot better than any other diplomas combined that has offered him...

I said it several pages back, it would be hard for me to pass up an opportunity at any Ivy League school.  It's instant credibility regardless of field or profession.  Not to mention the networking that comes from being a member of the Ivy fraternity. 

Maybe not as popular in SWVA, Murray State might be the best offer and most accomplished Hoops program of the current offers.  They got 15 NCAA tournament appearances and 26 conference regular season titles.  I think the second best offers are a tie between ODU and LaSalle far ahead of ETSU if going by long-term tournament history-appearances, even though ETSU is the most recent to the dance.  Academically, Rice and Air Force and William and Mary are non-IVY league, yet Ivy League comparable.  A degree from any of these 3, especially Rice being a top 20 university and William & Mary right there in the mix would be a great degree.  I think I would like to live in Colorado Springs, Williamsburg, or even Houston over New Haven, Connecticut.   One other thing is....the "P5" in college football and "P5" in college hoops aren't the same, even though some use them interchangeably.  There are historical national powerhouse programs in college hoops that are not P5.  For example, an offer from Georgetown, Marquette, Butler,  Dayton, Nova, and a few others of which many make up the Big East and American Athletic Conference (Houston, Cinci, Temple, Uconn) are far better offers than a Rutgers, Arizona State, or Washington State which are P5.  Other schools like Gonzaga and BYU out west are historically far better than Rutgers and many of the "P5" schools.