Mac McClung

4 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

That's the 16U team. Mac isn't on that one, right?

that would be correct....two different squads. The 17U team went 0-2 today....seemed like everyone on the team had a rough outing for the most part.  The 16U team went 1-1.  Both squads play tomorrow at least one game tomorrow from what i could see.  

23 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Is McClung playing in the same vegas tournament as the Big Baller Brand team? 

yes....the same tournament.   I was wanting to see Team Loaded play either SC Supreme or Big Baller Brand to see them go up against Zion Williamson or LaMelo Ball. I seen today that Jared Dudley had alot of bad things to say about those two teams and the style the kids are playing out in Vegas in this tournament. He evidently showed up to watch the Zion and LaMelo battle. Said there was too much flash and athletic showboating and not enough fundamental ball being played by most of the kids right now....things headed in the wrong direction. (That's not verbatim from him but a condensed version)   Can't remember where I seen it but it was pretty interesting what he had to say.

8 hours ago, RiverRat24 said:

yes....the same tournament.   I was wanting to see Team Loaded play either SC Supreme or Big Baller Brand to see them go up against Zion Williamson or LaMelo Ball. I seen today that Jared Dudley had alot of bad things to say about those two teams and the style the kids are playing out in Vegas in this tournament. He evidently showed up to watch the Zion and LaMelo battle. Said there was too much flash and athletic showboating and not enough fundamental ball being played by most of the kids right now....things headed in the wrong direction. (That's not verbatim from him but a condensed version)   Can't remember where I seen it but it was pretty interesting what he had to say.

Is there any chance that Mac's team can still play one of those teams? 

I watched some of the stream on ballislife and I'm wondering how any recruiting service is okay with calling LaMelo a 5star?

3 hours ago, EH31 said:

Is there any chance that Mac's team can still play one of those teams? 

I watched some of the stream on ballislife and I'm wondering how any recruiting service is okay with calling LaMelo a 5star?

I'm really not sure how the brackets are set up to be honest.   I guess it's still possible....dont think the tournament ends until Sunday.   

and I've scratched my head on that one too. LaMelo is definitely a great player.....but to be a 5 star in basketball you have to be like top 15-20 in the nation and I just don't see it with him. I think its all about the hype of his brother and everything is why he's getting the nod.  i mean come on.....the dude took over 30 shots against S.C. Supreme in his 1 on 1 battle with Zion.  That's all that game was.....a showout between those 2 guys.  Both teams scored over 100 pts so there absolutely could not have been any defense.  And it's my opinion and I'll go ahead and lay it out there.....but LaMelo isn't in the same stratosphere as Zion Williamson.  He's a man among children and deserves his ranking in the Top 5.

My son is in Vegas playing ball as well and we checked out LaMelo Ball yesterday.  I was not impressed with him  and I definitely would not call him a 5 star player.  He's good, don't get me wrong but not 5*.  My husband watched the Zion and LaMelo game.  He said that it was not a good game.  Zion would dunk and LaMelo would shoot 3s.  The place was extremely crowded.  They would not allow anyone in the doors :30 before the game.  The police were there.  We had to pick up my husband from the Cashman Center and they almost would not allow me to go in the parking lot.  They said I was not allowed to attend the game.  

We did watch Mac play.  He played well.  It's quite a sight to see him play in this type of competition.  

1 minute ago, RiverRat24 said:

wouldn't have  expected him to commit with a year left.....but nonetheless congrats to him.  still a long ways to go and kids change their minds alot.  never know where he will end up when it's all said and done. 

It's fairly commonplace for those not in the Top 25 to commit prior to their senior years.  I'd say probably 60% of kids do just that...why have that stress hanging over you with a year of basketball still to play?

17 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I think Rutgers is a terrible fit for a whole host of reasons, but I wish Mr. McClung the best of luck on his collegiate basketball career, and I congratulate him on accepting a scholarship offer from a major university in an elite basketball conference.

No one asked you. Maybe Mac thinks he fits well into their program. Maybe they like Mac, and have ways they want to utilize him, and etc. It's no ones but Mac's decision. I support him 100%. 

14 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

It's fairly commonplace for those not in the Top 25 to commit prior to their senior years.  I'd say probably 60% of kids do just that...why have that stress hanging over you with a year of basketball still to play?

i agree...it does happen alot.  I just for some reason figured he would at least ride the process out until say December or January and commit in the early part of the season.   I think its a great idea for kids to commit and get the process over with where they can focus on playing stress free with their teammates and focus on academics their final year. 

Judging by the visits and timely commitment dates set by some of the other recruits Rutgers were in on, it seems like Mac may have been a silent commit to RU already. 

23 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

No one asked you. Maybe Mac thinks he fits well into their program. Maybe they like Mac, and have ways they want to utilize him, and etc. It's no ones but Mac's decision. I support him 100%. 

I don't see reporters beating down your door either, but you still feel inclined to pollute this place with your useless commentary.

44 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I think Rutgers is a terrible fit for a whole host of reasons, but I wish Mr. McClung the best of luck on his collegiate basketball career, and I congratulate him on accepting a scholarship offer from a major university in an elite basketball conference.

I wish the kid all the best as well but dam, the kids in New Jersey don't even want to go to the state university!  

22 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I wish the kid all the best as well but dam, the kids in New Jersey don't even want to go to the state university!  

Rutgers is a unique scenario, which is certainly to Rutgers's detriment.  The quality of their institution as a "state school" is severely deflated by "runaways".

They're on the southern edge of the Ivy League, one of which (Princeton) is about as far away as Bluefield is from Claypool Hill.  There is also the proliferation of preparatory schools in the northeast, which further siphon off students from the motherland.  Long story short, the above-average students from that area are going Ivy League or one of the almost innumerable small liberal arts schools that dot the northeast.

Rutgers therefore turns into the Big Lots of the college world, and has to ramp up acceptance rates to keep itself afloat (60.5% in 2016, which is ABSURD for a flagship state university).  And as MTV has taught us, New Jersey doesn't exactly produce the most socially aware or responsible citizens.

Gate City, VA to Piscataway, NJ would be more of a culture shock than if you took Mac McClung, put him onboard the S.S. Atlantis, and shipped him to Mars.  

And I'm not even discussing the actual basketball yet.

3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Rutgers is a unique scenario, which is certainly to Rutgers's detriment.  The quality of their institution as a "state school" is severely deflated by "runaways".

They're on the southern edge of the Ivy League, one of which (Princeton) is about as far away as Bluefield is from Claypool Hill.  There is also the proliferation of preparatory schools in the northeast, which further siphon off students from the motherland.  Long story short, the above-average students from that area are going Ivy League or one of the almost innumerable small liberal arts schools that dot the northeast.

Rutgers therefore turns into the Big Lots of the college world, and has to ramp up acceptance rates to keep itself afloat (60.5% in 2016, which is ABSURD for a flagship state university).  And as MTV has taught us, New Jersey doesn't exactly produce the most socially aware or responsible citizens.

Gate City, VA to Piscataway, NJ would be more of a culture shock than if you took Mac McClung, put him onboard the S.S. Atlantis, and shipped him to Mars.  

And I'm not even discussing the actual basketball yet.

You take any kid from NETN or SWVA and throw them somewhere that's not here and it's gonna be culture shock. McClung travels all across the nation playing ball. He'll be fine.