New VA State Tournament Format

Slap the Mat

Looks like the number of entrants for each classification has been set by the VHSL for the State Tournaments 2017-2018.

3A to 6A will have four per weight class per Region for a total of 16 in for the State Tournament.

1A & 2A will have three per weight class per Region for a total of 12 in for the State Tournament.

I guess with 30 teams statewide in 1A and 40 teams in 2A neither has the number of teams to allow four entrants per wight class.

Please correct me on this if I have it wrong.

• 9 months later...

I agree!  There will be wrestlers not getting go to the Salem Civic Center from 1A & 2A that could do well, if given the chance.  I am very interested to see the brackets when they are released.  The Semi-Finals pairings could actually be who should be in the Finals depending on how the Regional Champions are bracketed.  With what I have heard about Poquoson in 2A, it would be a tough draw to see them in the Semi's.   I have been told that 1A is going to use the 1/2 state format with the District Tournaments being used as Sub-Regionals and the Regionals combining Regions A & B in the east/C & D in the west.  Each Regional will qualify six in a weight class.  Different format, but it still works out to twelve qualifying for the State Tournament.  Twelve in a sixteen man bracket is better than the VSHL's original plan of an eight man bracket - two qualifying from each Region.  The Principals and AD's in 1A & 2A were able to get three qualifiers approved at the meetings last year.